Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Issue with iCloud and older macOS versions (Read 9238 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Issue with iCloud and older macOS versions
Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
This issue has now been fixed in version 2.5.7 of BookMacster, Synkmark, Markster and Smarky which is now available.  To get the latest version, please launch the app and click in the application-name menu: Check for Update.

Users who have had this issue will need to re-export any changes to Safari which were not properly exported during the last few weeks.  Here is how to do that…

•  Ensure that your desired bookmarks are now in BookMacster, Synkmark, Markster or Smarky.  If not, import from wherever until they are.
•  Run Safari on the Mac which was getting exports not pushed to iCloud.
•  Click in the menu: Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.  A Bookmarks window/tab opens.
•  Click in the menu: Edit > Select All.  All items will be highlighted.
•  Holding down the command key on your keyboard, click the Favorites folder at the top.  The Favorites folder will become unhilighted.
•  Hit the delete key.  All items except the Favorites will disappear.
•  Click in the menu: View > Show Reading List Sidebar.
•  If there are any items in Reading List, hold down the 'control' key on your keyboard and click one of them.  A contextual menu will appear.  At the bottom of the contextual menu, click Clear All Items…, then, Clear.
•  Leave Safari alone for 10 minutes or more.  If any items return, delete them.
•  Close the Safari Bookmarks window.
•  Run BookMacster, Synkmark, Markster or Smarky.
•  If BookMacster, open the desired .bmco file.
•  Click in the menu: File > Export to only > Safari.  A sheet will appear.
•  Proceed with the default option, Normal export.

(What you've just done is an abbreviated form of Rebuilding iCloud Bookmarks.)

I'm sorry this fix took so long – the changes Apple made recently which were quite challenging to uncover.  As far as I can see, and I've looked, our apps are still the only apps in the world which can sync (export) bookmarks changes to Safari and iCloud, and we are the only developer committed to maintaining that capability.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:33pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
We've confirmed that even our latest version 2.5.5 does not always work correctly with iCloud in macOS 10.12 which have been migrated to CloudKit (CloudKitMigrationState = 3).  We're working on fixing it.

P.S.  For those who want a quick fix, it works perfectly in the current macOS, 10.13 High Sierra.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Daniil.  I'm re-testing with macOS 10.12.6 now.  If you have a few minutes, please run this test on your system:

• Launch the application: /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app.
• Into the search field at the top right hand corner of the Activity Monitor window, type in SafariDAV.
• Keep an eye on that window for at least 60 seconds to verify that SafariDAVClient does not appear.
• Run that Terminal command again, to see your CloudKitMigrationState.
• Change a bookmark in Safari, and immediately…
• Watch Activity Monitor again.  Does SafariDAVClient appear now?  And does it disappear after about 5-60 seconds?
• Run that Terminal command again, to see your CloudKitMigrationState again.

Tell us what you saw regarding CloudKitMigrationState and SafariDAVClient.

Thank you!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Daniil
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
I'm using macOS 10.12.6 and BookMacster 2.5.5. I'm importing my bookmarks from Chrome and exporting them to Safari and expecting to get synced bookmarks on my iPhone.

Chrome bookmarks are synced with Safari on mac without an issue. But they don't get synced to iCloud. They get synced properly when I add bookmark in Safari, but not with BookMacster.

Running /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print Sync:CloudKitMigrationState" ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist shows me "3"

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Hello, Pryslers.

Please try version 2.5.1, as explained in my post just prior to yours, dated 2017-12-30  Smiley

Oh, and, unfortunately, if you've had the issue, changes which didn't get pushed to iCloud will never get pushed to iCloud, because iCloud sync is based on transactions.  The only way to "reset" iCloud is to

• Save your desired bookmarks outside of iCloud, by either (a) importing into one of our apps or (b) using Safari's menu > File > Export Bookmarks… to a .html file.
• Delete all bookmarks (including Reading List items) in Safari on all iCloud-synced devices
• Wait at least 20 minutes to make sure that none of them are restored to any devices by iCloud
• Restore bookmarks by either (a) exporting from one of our apps (version 2.5.1 or later), or (b) using Safari's menu > File > Import Bookmarks… from that .html file, and moving items out of the resulting Imported folder to their proper locations.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:32pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Pryslers
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I've had the same issue and yeah, I'm on the older version of iOS. I don't want to update iOS for another reason. Do you think there's going to be a fix for this any time soon, Jerry?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:34am
Print Post  
I think we've resolved the issues with iCloud and older macOS versions with a new version of BookMacster, Markster, Synkmark and Smarky.  Anyone who is experiencing trouble with older macOS versions, please set your Update preference to Beta as explained here.  The version you want is 2.5.1 or later.  Of course, by the time you read this, 2.5.1 might be on the Production channel.

The new version 2.5.1 works for me, in macOS 10.11 and 10.12, with iCloud bookmarks that have been migrated to CloudKit or not.

You may notice that version 2.5.1 also has a modernized document file format.  That change is unrelated to this issue.

[This post was edited 2018-01-08 to reflect that 2.5.1 has advanced from Alpha to Beta]
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:25am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Issue with iCloud and older macOS versions
Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Summary

If you are using macOS 10.12 or earlier and are seeing discrepancies in bookmarks among devices, we recommend that you switch off syncing in our apps, and do not export to Safari using our apps until you can update to macOS 10.13, or until Apple or we resolve the issue.

Background

It appears that if both of the following are true:

(A)  Using macOS 10.12 or earlier
(B)  iCloud account is on Apple's newer CloudKit protocol

then our apps will not push changes to iCloud.

In addition,

• We do not know any way for the user to control which protocol their Mac is using.
• At this time most users' Macs are still using the old WebDAV protocol.
• On macOS 10.12, even after migration to the newer CloudKit protocol, the protocol sometimes temporarily flips back to the old protocol.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint