Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Unable to save bookmarks in BookMaster (Read 4916 times)
JT65
Re: Unable to save bookmarks in BookMaster
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Thanks! BM 2.9.7 did the trick. When I first updated, nothing happened - I'm guessing a reboot or re-login was necessary - but it's good now.

Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 1:00am:
I'm 90% sure that this issue has been fixed in BookMacster 2.9.7 and in Markster 2.9.7 which are now published.  To get the update, launch the app in click in the menu > app-name > Check for Update.

I'm only 90% sure because, although we were able to reproduce and fix the problem, and the fix makes sense, dealing with the new security stuff in macOS the last few years has been like playing 12-dimensional chess with Apple.  There are so many moving parts, no one at Apple is smart enough to have considered all of the possible edge cases.

Y'all please do please send us a email if you have any more trouble.

We think that macOS will only present two or three of those annoying Do you want to allow BookMacster/Markster to do this dialogs (because we do two or three different things), and then on the second day, all should work without question.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 1:00am
Print Post  
I'm 90% sure that this issue has been fixed in BookMacster 2.9.7 and in Markster 2.9.7 which are now published.  To get the update, launch the app in click in the menu > app-name > Check for Update.

I'm only 90% sure because, although we were able to reproduce and fix the problem, and the fix makes sense, dealing with the new security stuff in macOS the last few years has been like playing 12-dimensional chess with Apple.  There are so many moving parts, no one at Apple is smart enough to have considered all of the possible edge cases.

Y'all please do please send us a email if you have any more trouble.

We think that macOS will only present two or three of those annoying Do you want to allow BookMacster/Markster to do this dialogs (because we do two or three different things), and then on the second day, all should work without question.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 3:08am
Print Post  
You are not seeing the Add… menu item in either Safari or Firefox  Huh

Do you see it in any web browser?

There are, several conditions which must be met for a web page to appear in the Add… menu item of BookMacster's or Markster's menu extra.  Please check these:

• Except for the Safari web browser, either our BookMacster Sync or BookMacster Button extension must be installed, enabled and loaded in the web browser you wish to land new bookmarks from.  A couple years ago there was trouble if you had both of our extensions installed, but that issue was supposedly fixed.  If you install the BookMacster Sync extension, there is a button in the Manage Browser Extensions window to Test it.

• A web browser (Firefox, Safari, Vivaldi, Opera, Chrome, etc.) must be the active application; that is, the one whose name appears after the apple in the top left corner of your screen.

• For Firefox, the active "Profile" must be one that has our extension(s) installed.  For Chrome, the active "Person" must be one that has our extension(s) installed.

• The web page you want to bookmark must be the web browser's frontmost window.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JT65
Re: Can't Add Bookmarks Directly from Safari in Mojave
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for replying. I'm not seeing the Add _ menu item command in either Safari or Firefox. You're right: there is no entry for BookMacster in Preferences/Privacy/Automation, and no way to add an entry. Grrrr Apple.

Jerry Krinock wrote on Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:16pm:
Hello, JT.

Thank you for contacting us.  I think you mean that the Add <whatever> menu item in BookMacster's Menu Extra, which magically appears whenever you click the Menu Extra while visiting a web page in a web browser does not appear.  It does appear when you are visiting a web page in a different browser such as Firefox.

Pleas reply and tell me if I am wrong.

Anyhow, if I have described the situation correctly, this is what happens when one of Apple's little enhanced security gifts in Mojave goes wrong.  In the following, I describe what happens when you try to add from the Menu Extra in BookMacster, but the story is the same if you use the Dock Menu, or the Global Keyboard Shortcut, in BookMacster, or Markster.

To populate that menu, when Safari is active, BookMacster asks Safari for the name and URL of the current web page via AppleScript (because, sadly, Safari does not provide any more reliable means).  Aha! says macOS.  Some app may be trying to steal which web page you are viewing!  What should happen, and I think this has happened for most users, is that, the first time you click our menu extra with Safari active, macOS displays a warning dialog asking if it is OK for BookMacster to play with Safari.  Then when you click Allow, a new entry, BookMacster > Safari, appears in System Preferences > Privacy > Automation, with a checkbox that is switched on.  And that is permanent, so the next time and the next day when you do this, macOS allows Safari to pass its information to BookMacster, and everything works.

I think it has worked that way for most users.  But I'm guessing that if something goes wrong during that first interaction, BookMacster > Safari does not get added to the System Preferences > Privacy > Automation, and the next time and the next day when you click our menu extra, instead of asking again, macOS simply refuses the connection and hands BookMacster an error.  Furthermore, there is no way to manually add allowed connections to the list in System Preferences > Privacy > Automation.

I've done a lot of experiments but cannot find a workaround.  If anyone finds one, please tell us.  I plan to submit a technical support incident to Apple tomorrow morning.  An answer may take several days to a week or more  Sad

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can't Add Bookmarks Directly from Safari in Mojave
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Hello, JT.

Thank you for contacting us.  I think you mean that the Add <whatever> menu item in BookMacster's Menu Extra, which magically appears whenever you click the Menu Extra while visiting a web page in a web browser does not appear.  It does appear when you are visiting a web page in a different browser such as Firefox.

Pleas reply and tell me if I am wrong.

Anyhow, if I have described the situation correctly, this is what happens when one of Apple's little enhanced security gifts in Mojave goes wrong.  In the following, I describe what happens when you try to add from the Menu Extra in BookMacster, but the story is the same if you use the Dock Menu, or the Global Keyboard Shortcut, in BookMacster, or Markster.

To populate that menu, when Safari is active, BookMacster asks Safari for the name and URL of the current web page via AppleScript (because, sadly, Safari does not provide any more reliable means).  Aha! says macOS.  Some app may be trying to steal which web page you are viewing!  What should happen, and I think this has happened for most users, is that, the first time you click our menu extra with Safari active, macOS displays a warning dialog asking if it is OK for BookMacster to play with Safari.  Then when you click Allow, a new entry, BookMacster > Safari, appears in System Preferences > Privacy > Automation, with a checkbox that is switched on.  And that is permanent, so the next time and the next day when you do this, macOS allows Safari to pass its information to BookMacster, and everything works.

I think it has worked that way for most users.  But I'm guessing that if something goes wrong during that first interaction, BookMacster > Safari does not get added to the System Preferences > Privacy > Automation, and the next time and the next day when you click our menu extra, instead of asking again, macOS simply refuses the connection and hands BookMacster an error.  Furthermore, there is no way to manually add allowed connections to the list in System Preferences > Privacy > Automation.

I've done a lot of experiments but cannot find a workaround.  If anyone finds one, please tell us.  I plan to submit a technical support incident to Apple tomorrow morning.  An answer may take several days to a week or more  Sad

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JT65
Unable to save bookmarks in BookMaster
Nov 25th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I just updated from Mac OS X 10.13.6 to 10.14, and can't save bookmarks from the menu bar, only visit existing bookmarks. I was running Bookmaster 2.9.2, and have since updated to 2.9.6, with no luck. I have given Full Disk Access as instructed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint