Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) transition from dropbox to ?. (Read 4744 times)
sojourner
Re: transition from dropbox to ?.
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Alternate 1, Option 1 works great.  I have resolved my hesitation of yore by reorganizing bookmarks around the venue to prevent the display of non-germane information to the viewers.  I just have to plan carefully before each presentation.  BookMacster makes that easy.  No different from the rest of the information planned.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

sojourner
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Thank you very much.  I need to cogitate on this a bit.  Alternative 1, Option 1 seems viable at the moment.  I will let you know.  The need for Reorganization demenishes with more liberal and thoughtful key words.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 3:28am
Print Post  
There are several ways you can proceed.

Alternative 1.  Use iCloud.  On both Macs, in System Preferences > iCloud, switch on the Safari checkbox.  This may already be on because Apple encourages you to sign in to iCloud, and that checkbox is on by default.  If it is not on, on both Macs, then probably your laptop has garbage bookmarks and instead you want the good bookmarks from your desktop Mac.  In that case, before switching iCloud ON, you should delete all of the garbage bookmarks.  Otherwise it will Merge the garbage in with your good bookmarks and create a mess you will need to clean up manually. 

Alternative 1, Option 1  Keep BookMacster on only one Mac and changes you export to Safari will be synced to the other Mac.  Makes sense if you don't reorganize your bookmarks hourly.

Alternative 1, Option 2  Install BookMacster on both Macs.  Now you can reorganize on either Mac, any time.  Things will take 10 minutes or so to fully sync because now there are several "hops", BookMacster -> Safari -> iCloud -> Safari on other Mac -> BookMacster on other Mac.

Alternative 2.  Use Tresorit.  I'm assuming that Tresorit has the equivalent of a Dropbox folder.  First of all, ensure that, on at least one Mac, in System Preferences > iCloud, the Safari checkbox is OFF (more on this later).  Open your .bmco document.  Click the little "v" icon which appears after .bmco in the window's title bar.  Using the Where: popup menu, move the file into your Tresorit synced folder.  Now, on the other Mac, install and launch BookMacster but Cancel out of creating a New Collection when prompted.  Instead, File > Open the file from your other Mac in your Tresorit synced folder.

I favor Alternative 1, Option 1 because it has the fewest moving parts and will also sync to an iPad or iPhone via iCloud to both Macs.  But if you understand what you are doing and don't mind keeping more apps updated, the others will work too.

Whatever you do, be careful not to create a Sync Loop which would happen if you put BookMacster on both Macs, .bmco document in your Tresorit folder and switched on iCloud > Safari on both Macs.  Sync Loops cause iCloud to go crazy and definitely ruin your day, and mine, should you ask us for help straightening it out   Cry
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:48am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

sojourner
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for responding so quickly.

1. Firt of all, I don't have any experience with Tresorit.

That's ok.  After all, I am a researcher.  Tresorit claims to have a level of security that some of my clients want. Besides that, much of this is outside of your domain as I perceive it.

2. Since you are using a Mac desktop, Mac laptop, and maybe a iPad, I wonder why you made no mention of using Apple's iCloud.  Although iCloud has its flaws, the seamless integration with Apple's apps is really nice if you're an all-Apple person. 

For some time I have been moving out of Apple apps to those more suitable for my work, ie the LibreOffice suite, mind mapping, etc.

3. And, due to the extreme security in iOS, iCloud is the only way you can access Safari bookmarks on that iPad.

I didn't know that.  Maybe I will have to stay with laptops.

4. Do you use any web browsers other than Safari?

Not now but I am open to others.

5. How do you "tag" bookmarks?  In BookMacster?

Yes.  It's very convenient and I also organize out of BookMacster.  I love it.  I do want this on both platforms.

6. Do you currently have BookMacster installed on both Macs?  If so, is your .bmco document file in a Dropbox folder?

Not yet because I have been using the laptop for prepared presentations only.  A new phase of my teaching requires the use of web pages in my presentations on site, hence BookMacster on the MacBook Air.  I have only a few bookmarks on the laptop.

7. When you bookmark websites, do you do so by adding directly to BookMacster through its Anywhere Menu, Dock menu or Menu Extra?  Or do you add to Safari's internal bookmarks?

I add bookmarks with Safari and let BookMacster sync things up.  Often I reorganize them around new projects and that is why I am tagging more and filing less.  There is a lot of crossreferencing involved.

In short, I must be more alert to accelerating paradigm shifts in my work.  This involves a level of planning that I am only now adjusting to.  It requires opening new doors and shedding old baggage.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Hello, sojourner.

Sorry it took me a day to digest all that  Smiley

Firt of all, I don't have any experience with Tresorit.

Since you are using a Mac desktop, Mac laptop, and maybe a iPad, I wonder why you made no mention of using Apple's iCloud.  Although iCloud has its flaws, the seamless integration with Apple's apps is really nice if you're an all-Apple person.  And, due to the extreme security in iOS, iCloud is the only way you can access Safari bookmarks on that iPad.

Do you use any web browsers other than Safari?

How do you "tag" bookmarks?  In BookMacster?

Do you currently have BookMacster installed on both Macs?  If so, is your .bmco document file in a Dropbox folder?

When you bookmark websites, do you do so by adding directly to BookMacster through its Anywhere Menu, Dock menu or Menu Extra?  Or do you add to Safari's internal bookmarks?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

sojourner
transition from dropbox to ?.
Dec 16th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I am a researcher, arthur and teacher. 
I am an applications user - not a computer geek.
99% of my work is done on a Mac desktop.
I use Safari for browsing, duckduckgo for my search engine and Dropbox sparingly for file sharing and cloud storage.  All are up for review, especially Dropbox /Google.
I use a Mac laptop for presentations, files, etc.  on a tv in the classroom or other venues.
I do not want everything that is on my desktop available to my laptop.
I sometimes add websites to my bookmarks from my laptop.
I want my bookmarks synchronized between desktop and the laptop.
I sometimes organize bookmarks by file but I find myself increasingly using tags.
I sometimes add notes from my laptop.
I read eBooks and Kindle on my laptop.
I also use VMware Fusion for a few important Windows applications (no Microsoft) but I keep all of the files and bookmarks in a Windows folder on the Mac.  No WIndows apps or email ever.
I weekly do a bootable backup of everything.

What I want in the light of the above, is good file, backup and bookmark synergy considering my use of these marvelous devices. I may add an iPad.

BookMacster is not up for review.  It has been very helpful

My immediate questions:
1. 'In the light of the above', Do you have a tested alternative to Dropbox/Google for syncing between computers and cloud storage?  Do you have any experience with Tresorit SOLO?
2. Would you consider outlining a transition?

I will be grateful for your help.  Your help can save me many hours of plodding through swamps where I have little competence.  I need the time for works for which I am commissioned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint