Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lost Favorites on first attempt (Read 3560 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Lost Favorites on first attempt
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I presume you are saying that this "earliest version" does not have the bookmarks you want.

You can restore deleted bookmarks from iCloud.com, although it is rather messy:

• Browse to http://iCloud.com.
• Click on Settings.
• In the lower left corner, click the link Restore Bookmarks.

It is somewhat buggy, but if you only need to use it a few times in your life, while travelling, it is tolerable.

If your bookmarks have been upgraded to Apple's newer CloudKit system, which is probably true unless you still have an Apple device running a OS older than 2013 or so signed in to iCloud, you will see a list of your recently-deleted bookmarks.  There are supposed to be checkboxes in the left column.  The idea is you switch on the checkboxes of bookmarks you want to restore.  But they checkboxes may be invisible.  Click around until one of them lights up.  Or, try "select all", which may not be what you want, so then you must un-check the ones you don't want.

If you see a list of dates instead of a list of bookmarks, that means you're still on Apple's old system.  Choose a date, Restore, wait for it to indicate completion, look at your bookmarks in Safari, and if you don't like what you got, repeat with a different date.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2018 at 3:53am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnaxxl
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
It seems there's nothing there other than the earliest version I've done in Bookmacster.
Sadly, I'm away from home for a few weeks, so backups are not available.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Hello, schnaxxl.  Try the Third Method on that support page which explains how to restore bookmarks.  If you did import Safari bookmarks when you first created your new Collection, it should have immediately saved that version with Safari bookmarks as they were, and that version should be available in the macOS Versions Browser.  Click all the way back to the first available version, then restore.

If you don't find them there, do you have a Time Machine backup of your Home Folder?  If so, go back and get yesterday's version of ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist but do not just Replace the current version because that will cause iCloud to go bonkers.  Import into BookMacster instead – I can tell you how to do that.

Do not switch on Syncing until bookmarks look good in BookMacster, Safari and any other browsers.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnaxxl
Lost Favorites on first attempt
Dec 22nd, 2018 at 5:42am
Print Post  
I used Bookdog a long time ago, but have recently installed Bookmacster.
I tried to run the sync operation on Safari, but discovered that all of the items on my Favorites bar have vanished.
Looking at the online help for Bookmacster to undo, it appears that there should be access to the original version, but there isn't anything - the Edit menu says 'Nothing to undo'.
Meanwhile I thought I might be able to re-export my bookmarks back from my iPhone, but they're gone too.
Relevant details: Macbook Pro 2016, Mojave 10.14.1, Bookmacster 2.9.7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint