Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BM placing bookmarks in "other bookmarks" folder (Read 6047 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BM placing bookmarks in "other bookmarks" folder
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, JL.

JLSchweitzer wrote on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 9:32pm:
HOWEVER, BM is not syncing changes my MacBook Pro with any of its browsers. … I've reviewed your 10 ten reasons for syncing not working and I don't think I fall into any of the categories … I've even checked with the "More Tests" within the "Manage Browser Extensions" and BM reports seeing changes with BOTH Firefox and Chrome.
Actually there are 11 reasons now.  Anyhow, if none of that applies, then we should have a look at BookMacster's logs.  Demonstrate the problem by making a change in a browser and writing a little story explaining exactly what you did.  Example: At 9:04 AM on January 24 I added a bookmark named "Joe" to the folder named "My Stuff" which is in the Bookmarks Bar in Safari..  Wait the requisite minutes or longer, then, assuming that it still does not sync as expected, complete your story.  Example: After 10 minutes, "Joe" was still not in Firefox..  Then launch BookMacster, click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper and click through the process.  In a case like this, Include Bookmarks and Documents may be helpful if you don't mind.  In the Please explain… section, paste in your little story.

JLSchweitzer wrote on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 9:32pm:
Whenever I tried to use the "Reset and start over" option, BM would crash. … [Also] BM crashes on my iMac whenever I try to do a "Reset and start over."
Please send crash reports from both Macs to our support email.   The latest version of BookMacster, still in development, completes Reset and Start Over… without crashing for me, but I can't find any evidence that this was fixed recently, so we'd like to check it out.  To get crash reports in recent macOS versions, launch Applications/Utilities/Console.app, in the left sidebar select User Reports.  The crash reports have a pretty obvious naming convention including app name followed by date and time in format YYYY-MM-DD-HHmmss.  Select an interesting one, click in the big pane, Select All, Copy, and then Paste into email.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JLSchweitzer
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 9:51pm:
JLSchweitzer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 6:06pm:
Here's a screenshot of what happens in BM when I do an export from Safari.
I'm not sure what you mean by export from Safari.  Probably one of these two:

1.  In Safari, click in the menu: File Export Bookmarks…, then in BookMacster, click in the menu: File > Import from > Choose File (Advanced) and choose the .html file that you exported from Safari.

2. In BookMacster, click in the menu: File > Import from > Safari.

I'm going to assume that you did 2. 

Jerry, you read my mind. What I was showing is what happened when I imported bookmarks from Safari [not exported as I stated above].

Sorry for this long post but I think it's better to give too much detail than not enough.

I think I have almost everything corrected. Also, I think I might have figured out why the bookmarks are showing up in the Chrome browser under "Other Bookmarks" and not in "Bookmarks.

In your built-in manual, in section 4.22.2 Hard Folders, you state--or at least I think that's what you're stating--that BM will put (or import) most bookmarks of most common browsers e.g., Safari, Firefox, & Camino into the Bookmacster's hard folder Bookmarks Menu. However, from your documentation BM may put Chrome's bookmarks into the Other Bookmarks hard folder. Whew!

So, to summary my progress, I've got everything set up on my iMac where BM does sync the bookmarks on the iMac whenever I make a change in any of the browsers on the iMac. Since I use iCloud sync, when I  add or delete a bookmark in Safari on my MacBook Pro, iCloud syncs from the MBP to the iMac and BM will then synchronize the changes on my iMac.

HOWEVER, BM is not syncing changes my MacBook Pro with any of its browsers. Everything that follows  BM on my MacBook Pro.

I've reviewed your 10 ten reasons for syncing not working and I don't think I fall into any of the categories. The sync icon is a yellow dot. I've waited for at least 5 minutes to see if BM synchronizes the changes. I've even checked with the "More Tests" within the "Manage Browser Extensions" and BM reports seeing changes with BOTH Firefox and Chrome.

One curious note that may or may not have any bearing is that earlier in this process I thought I would just start all over on my MBP. Whenever I tried to use the "Reset and start over" option, BM would crash. I have copied the long crash report but I don't think you want me to post it here although I can. As I said, this may or may not have any bearing.

And I don't want to make this any more confusing but BM crashes on my iMac whenever I try to do a "Reset and start over." However, as I said above, I'm not having any problems with BM on the iMac. I just thought I'd throw that in, either to help or make things more confusing.  Wink

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Here's a screenshot of what happens in BM when I do an export from Safari.
I'm not sure what you mean by export from Safari.  Probably one of these two:

1.  In Safari, click in the menu: File Export Bookmarks…, then in BookMacster, click in the menu: File > Import from > Choose File (Advanced) and choose the .html file that you exported from Safari.

2. In BookMacster, click in the menu: File > Import from > Safari.

I'm going to assume that you did 2.  I'm not sure what happens with 1.  1 is not recommended.

In that case, what probably happened is that those bookmarks which are in the Bookmarks Menu menu (repitition intended) are not in the Bookmarks Menu hard folder.  They are actually in the root.  The Bookmarks Menu in the main menu contains both items at root, and items from the Bookmarks menu hard folder.  To illustrate this, activate Safari and click in the menu: Bookmarks > Show Bookmarks.  The Bookmarks Menu hard folder is shown as a folder named Bookmarks Menu.  The items at root are the items which are not in any folder.  I know this is confusing, but this is the result of Apple originally not allowing items at root, then changing because iOS worked better with items at root, then changing again because people could not find their iOS items at root.

Also, in this situation, I am unable to move the bookmarks among the single entries.
Again, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Also, is there a way to INSERT the image so that it shows up in the post. Or is this a limitation of the program.
I think so, but there is a trick, and it will not host the image.  In the array of buttons at the top, click Insert image (top row, 3rd from right).  It will insert [img][/img].  Between the [img] and [/img] insert the URL to your image.  Example: [img]https://sheepsystems.com/_Media/bookmacster64.png[/img].  Here is the result:

YaBB is not the fanciest or newest bulletin board, but it works and has very good spam resistance  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2019 at 4:57am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JLSchweitzer
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Okay, I think I'm getting the hand of this. (As you correctly pointed out my original post shows a screen capture from Firefox even though I said it was Chrome. Fortunately, the same result happened with BOTH Chrome and Firefox.)

Here's a screenshot of what happens in BM when I do an export from Safari. As you can see, the bookmarks aren't going into BM's Bookmarks Menu, which is where I think it's supposed to go. Also, in this situation, I am unable to move the bookmarks among the single entries.

HOWEVER, as you suggested I move the folders and single entries into  the Bookmarks Menu folder, I am able to drag and drop entries.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il0htxojvbie3u4/Export%20from%20Safari.pngdl=

Also, is there a way to INSERT the image so that it shows up in the post. Or is this a limitation of the program.

I will move the folders into the Bookmarks Menu folder and see what happens.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
JLSchweitzer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 3:56pm:
Jerry, I was doing my best to name where my bookmarks were going.
I know.  Unfortunately, the designers of Safari, Firefox and Chrome have done their best to make describing their various systems very confusing.  And every few years they tweak on them.  Smiley

JLSchweitzer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2019 at 3:56pm:
It seems that my Chrome bookmarks are being placed in Other Bookmarks instead of Bookmarks Bars. If you look at the picture in my original post, although it's not full screen you will notice that the bookmarks are in Other Bookmarks folder; and there are none in Bookmarks Bars.

A similar thing is occurring in Firefox as well except all of the bookmarks are being placed in Other Bookmarks instead of Bookmark Menu.
Judging from the main menu in it, the screenshot you posted is of Firefox.  For historical reasons (Firefox' Other Bookmarks was originally Unfiled Bookmarks), items in Firefox' Other Bookmarks come from Reading List.  Look at where these items (Men's Money C, Add to Delivery, …, Magic, Music) are in BookMacster's Content.

To get your items in roughly the same place in all three browsers, put or move them into either BookMacster's Bookmarks Bar aka Bookmarks Toolbar aka Favorites, or into BookMacster's Bookmarks Menu, whichever of these two locations you prefer.  Then export this to all browsers.

Do not have any items in Reading List or at the root level (outside of any hard folder).  This is not ideal for iOS, because now you must tap through the empty root level.  But unless the designers of Safari, Firefox and Chrome come together and agree on a standard structure (which is never going to happen), there is no ideal solution.

Does that work?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JLSchweitzer
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Jerry, I was doing my best to name where my bookmarks were going.

It seems that my Chrome bookmarks are being placed in Other Bookmarks instead of Bookmarks Bars. If you look at the picture in my original post, although it's not full screen you will notice that the bookmarks are in Other Bookmarks folder; and there are none in Bookmarks Bars.

A similar thing is occurring in Firefox as well except all of the bookmarks are being placed in Other Bookmarks instead of Bookmark Menu.

I hope this makes better sense than my original post.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Hello, JL.

Thank you for contacting us.  Regarding the first issue, I wonder what you mean by regular bookmarks section.  Chrome has only two hard folders: Bookmarks Bar andOther Bookmarks.  To my knowledge, all Chrome bookmarks must be in one of these two.  In particular, you cannot put bookmarks at the root level.

Regarding not being able to move bookmarks within their folders, it works for me.  I wonder if maybe your Content view in BookMacster is set to Table Mode instead of the default Outline Mode.

Here is a short video on YouTube which illustrates this stuff.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

JLSchweitzer
BM placing bookmarks in "other bookmarks" folder
Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I use BM to sync my bookmarks on my desktop computer. I have three browsers: Safari, Firefox (FF), and Google Chrome (GC). Recently, BM has been placing the all the bookmarks in the "Other Bookmarks" section for both FF and Chrome.  See the picture below. [I can't figure out how to "embed" the image in this post so that it will show up without having to click on it]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix2yv4liu42xf0b/BM%20Other%20Bookmarks.png?dl=

Curiously, if I use the web browser, let's say Chrome, and move a few of the folders out of the "other bookmarks" section and into the regular bookmark section and then import that changes into BM, BM will show that these have moved.

HOWEVER, when I export the changes back into Chrome, the folders that I moved OUT of the "other bookmarks" section are placed BACK into the "other bookmarks" section. In other words, something is happening when BM exports the changes. Oddly, this rearrangement happens with only FF and Chrome BUT NOT Safari.

Also, I cannot reorder individual bookmarks in BM. In other words, I can drag and drop them to re-order. However, I can drag individual bookmarks into folders; just can't re-arrange individual bookmarks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint