Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Sort at Top/Bottom commands disabled (Read 7787 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Sort at Top/Bottom commands disabled
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 12:12am
Print Post  
stick.sauce wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:20pm:
If someday I do wish to have BookMacster sync to a browser, will one or more of these hard folders be required?
Actually, no they are not required.  Without hard folders, all of your items in the root.

In Safari, BookMacster will export all of your items into Safari's root.  Safari will remove its Bookmarks Menu folder when it sees that it is empty.  The Bookmarks Menu in the main menu will have your items.  The Favorites will remain in Safari, but it will be empty.

In Firefox and Chrome, BookMacster will export all of your items into the Other Bookmarks folder.  Firefox will still have a Bookmarks Toolbar and Bookmarks Menu, but they will be empty.  Likewise, Chrome's Bookmarks Bar will be empty.

I realize that reading the above for the first time makes one's head spin, especially the part about the two Bookmarks Menu things in Safari.  It is difficult to explain in words.  Much easier to just try it and look at the results.

It also seems to work in the reverse direction (import from browsers).  I say seems to because, out of curiosity, I just tested it a few times and confirmed that it worked.  This is important because otherwise items would be in different locations after each round trip (export, then import).  We call this churn.  Churn can cause constant syncing.  I do recall that we designed it to work this way, but there may be some glitches because I don't recall ever working with a user who routinely synced without hard folders.  But it actually is rather neat if you can ignore the empty hard folders in the browsers.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Aha! So easy! Now (especially with the update to 2.9.8 letting me click-drag the Root folders into positions I like) there's nothing in the way of purchasing this puppy!

One last question on this, though:
If someday I do wish to have BookMacster sync to a browser, will one or more of these hard folders be required? (Having Favorites always sit at the top would not be a deal breaker but having Favorites Bar, Bookmarks Menu, and Reading List all always stay at the top probably would keep me from syncing with a browser.)

thx

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Oh, if you are not syncing with browsers, you should get rid of the hard folders.  To do that,

• Move all items out of the unwanted hard folders.
• Click the tab: Settings > Structure.
• Switch off checkboxes of unwanted hard folders.

Those hard folders are indeed an annoying legacy of Netscape Navigator in the 1990s  Huh

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
And why does the Inspector say these "hard" folders can be moved (even putting a down-arrow icon in the name), only to ignore what I want to do with them explicitly (independently of whether Do Sort or Do Not Sort is set)?

Sorry for all the complaints...just trying to get up to speed in the hopes of buying this puppy, if it can meet my needs. (I'm pretty nudgy, as you may have noticed...har har. At least I'm not torturing you with bad grammar.)

IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
OK that explains that. Me no likey being forced to have folders I don't want showing up in my separate bookmarks manager. I'm not syncing with any browsers so having these folders (one of which is empty) remain in Root and not let me move them and show up in the menubar items is just a tad annoying. (Minimally let me set them invisible or move them to the bottom of the list.)

(Since you like to keep the topics topical, related to this is the oddly proliferating Bookmarksbar folders phenomenon in Safari: https://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1549654823/0# started in a shiny new topic.)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Thank you for crafting the nice screenshot.  The Favorites, Bookmarks Menu and Reading List are special folders – we call them hard folders because they cannot be deleted in the web browsers when syncing.  Well, more or less – Safari is complicated with historical legacy.  Anyhow, they will always appear at the top, preventing other items from reaching the top.

The fact that you could set their Sort at top and Sort at bottom attributes is a bug I've never noticed before.  I've entered it into our bug tracker, to be fixed in a future version.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I think I understand the logic and the un-messify menu (aka undo) relieves a lot of anxiety. Having experimented based on your explanations, I'm perplexed as to why 3 of the 4 items set to go to the bottom actually go to the top and the 1 item set to go to the top doesn't make it all the way to the top, as shown. Perhaps there's a logic I'm still not getting.

Edited:
Same behavior with v 2.9.8

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
stick.sauce wrote on Feb 8th, 2019 at 5:12pm:
The Sort At Top/Bottom adds an icon indicating the direction it will move to when sorted (so it's a two-step process).
I would not say it that way.  Setting a folder to be sorted at top or bottom is a configuration.  The folder will be sorted that way whenever bookmarks are sorted, either manually when you click Sort All, or automatically, if you enable Syncing.  Once you set that configuration, it stays forever.  So it's only a two-step process the first time you use it.

Am I using
Bookmarks -> Sort All
or do I use
Edit -> sort now, by <attribute> ?
The Will be sorted configuration only affects operation of Sort All, and, by extension, sorting during automatic Syncing, because, if so configured, Syncing uses the Sort All command.  The Edit > Sort now commanad is a one-time operation that will sort any folder upon which you click it.

I only want to sort the top-level items. I don't want BookMacster going into subfolders and sorting anything else.
That is easy.  In the tab Settings > Sorting > Which folders will be sorted…, switch on Sort the Root, and just below that set the Default to Don't Sort.  To verify that, look in the Content tab and verify that all folder rows now display the unsorted icon, and have a pink background color.

Also, remember that any epic mess accidentally created by editing operations in our apps can be un-messed by clicking in the menu: Edit > Undo  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If the parent folder is the root, there is of course nothing to click on, and you cannot inspect the root either.  Therefore, the Will be sorted state of root is accessed in the document's tab Settings > Sorting.  There is a checkbox titled Sort the root.

Aha, that was the key. Thanks.

Just so that I don't do something epically stupid:
The Sort At Top/Bottom adds an icon indicating the direction it will move to when sorted (so it's a two-step process).
Am I using
Bookmarks -> Sort All
or do I use
Edit -> sort now, by <attribute> ?

I only want to sort the top-level items. I don't want BookMacster going into subfolders and sorting anything else, that would create an epic mess.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
When the Will be sorted attribute of a folder is set to OFF, in all of the items it contains, the Sort at Top/Normally/Bottom menu items are disabled.  This is because, since the folder will not be sorted, such a setting would have no effect.  It's not obvious until you think about it for a few seconds  Smiley

So, if you want such an item to be sorted to the top, you must perform a secondary click on the folder that contains it (called the parent folder), and click its Will be sorted menu item to switch it ON.  (In macOS, menu items which have an ON/OFF show the prefix ✔ when ON and - or no prefix when OFF.)  You can also access the Will be sorted attribute as a checkbox in the Inspector window.  The Will be sorted state is also indicated by an icon and color.  See the top two items in this list of icons in the Help Book.  Background color blue means Will be sorted, pink means Will not be sorted.

If the parent folder is the root, there is of course nothing to click on, and you cannot inspect the root either.  Therefore, the Will be sorted state of root is accessed in the document's tab Settings > Sorting.  There is a checkbox titled Sort the root.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

rowan
Ex Member
Sort at Top/Bottom commands disabled
Feb 5th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Right-clicking on URL and soft folders: sort to bottom is grayed out.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:36pm by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint