Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can information be lost upon import? (Read 2585 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Can information be lost upon import?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Hello, nhungthientai.

Overlay means that nothing will be deleted in the .bmco document during a manually-initiated import.  A normal import can be made to do this too if you dig into Settings > Clients, click the advanced (gear icon) button and in the sheet which appears, switch off Delete unmatched items.

It does not give you a blob of data at the root level, as, for example, Safari does when you are running Safari and click in the menu: File > Import bookmarks.  Instead, it maps items into the corresponding locations: Bookmarks Bar, Bookmarks Menu, etc.

You can filter only items from a particular browser (client) by clicking the tab: Settings > Reports > Find/Replace, and configuring the filter for All items whose Client Associations contains the name of the particular browser.

You should be aware of the meanings of import and export:

Note: The above image does not work in Firefox 66 Beta for some reason.  But it works in Safari.  It's also in the Help Book.

As you can see,

• Import can only affect the .bmco document.  It is easy to undo, though, if something happens which you do not like, click in the menu: Edit > Undo Import.  You can also restore prior versions using the macOS Versions Browser.  To use that, click in the menu: File > Revert to….

• Export can only affect the web browser(s).  This is more difficult to undo.  So be sure before you export.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

nhungthientai
Can information be lost upon import?
Feb 17th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I just want to make sure, what workflow I have to adhere to, if I do not want any information to get lost. I import "as overlay", no "safe-sync" and without "deleting unmatched" items. This should give me a big blob of data, with all my bookmarks in it. All else I have to do manually, like consolidating folders and scanning for duplicates. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Could bookmarks just disappear somewhere in the process, except me manually deleting them?

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint