Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Minutes to wait…" & "Content is currently unavail (Read 8089 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: "Minutes to wait…" & "Content is currently unavail
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
It was unavailable in late 2018 versions of our apps because, in late 2018, without telling anyone, Apple updated and broke the Help Indexer tool which we use to build our Help Book.  So we had a bug, thanks to Apple.

In the current versions of our apps, we have re-directed those "?" buttons open the relevant Help Book page on our website, so they work again, but they are not quite as good because they don't scroll to the relevant paragraph.  Before working on it further, I want to see what Apple does with Apple Help Viewer in the next macOS which we should see on June 9.  I hope they either start fixing the bugs or remove it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ArdenLu
Re: "Minutes to wait…" & "Content is currently unavail
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Why would they put in those question marks if the content they are supposed to show is unavailable?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
"Minutes to wait…" & "Content is currently unavail
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Hello, Ward.

Thank you for contacting us.

Regarding the Minutes to wait…, here is the missing linked-to explanation.  See sec. 4.10.3.  In summary, the default setting of 5 minutes is slow and lazy but very conservative of system resources.  Some users set it to 1 minute and we've not had any complaints.  Because I'm constantly testing our apps, I leave it at 1 minute and don't notice any problems.  We've considered reducing the default time to 1 or 2 minutes but have left it at 5 mostly because of If it ain't broke don't fix it.  In addition to syncing faster (faster is always better), lowering it to 1 minute will also reduce the probability of conflicts, as explained in the middle paragraph of this post.

Regarding those "?" Help Buttons not working, that is another sad story of a very nice feature of macOS which Apple broke in macOS 10.14.  We worked around the bug by linking to our Help Book on the internet instead of in the sadly ignored and broken Apple Help Viewer, but only if the system running is 10.14.  Unfortunately, I recently learned that it is also effectively broken in earlier macOS versions such as your 10.13, with our current versions such as your BookMacster 2.9.8, because Apple also broke the help indexer utility which we use in building our apps.  Therefore, the next version of BookMacster (2.9.9) will also open links on our web page, which will work, instead of attempting to use the very sad Apple Help Viewer.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Ward
"Minutes to wait…" & "Content is currently unavail
Mar 4th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
After updating to BookMacster 2.9.8 on macOS 10.13.6, I reviewed Preferences to check for changes.

I didn't understand the first option in the Syncing tab. Clicking the "?" button yields a generic "The selected content is currently unavailable" error page – see the attached screenshot.

All three "?" report the same error.

– Ward

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2019 at 9:41pm by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint