Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Bookmarking Website Isn't Working With Firefox 69 (Read 6901 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Bookmarking Website Isn't Working With Firefox 69
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 2:29am
Print Post  
MrX wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:16pm:
Thanks for clearing up the mystery regarding Brave.

I'm still curious why Firefox isn't working as expected. . .

I think you are referring to the problem that when you click the BookMacster Button in Firefox, instead of getting a new bookmark to the active tab, you get a bookmark to some web page that you visited a long time ago that is not bookmarked and not your Firefox home page.  You always get just some random page from your browsing history.

I have no idea how that could happen, but if you want to send me your Firefox data I shall try to reproduce the problem.  Here is how:

• Run BookMacste
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks and Documents), answer "Include Bookmarks and Documents"
• In the list which appears, choose "Firefox".
• For Question A (All Firefox Data), answer "All except usernames & passwords".
• In the "Please explain..." section, enter "from MrX".
• "Dropbox" me the resulting .zip, as instructed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for clearing up the mystery regarding Brave.

I'm still curious why Firefox isn't working as expected. . .

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Regarding Brave, I was kind of surprised myself that this Just Works.  But upon investigation I found that when you use BookMacster directly, BookMacster gets bookmarks from Brave via AppleScript.  So indeed there is no need to install either of our browser extensions.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I may have had another web browser open at times but much of the time I only had Firefox open. And No, the webpage I was getting was not my Firefox homepage. . .  I have Firefox configured so I never see it.

It may indeed be a Firefox bug but I have another Bookmacster anomaly which you and I tried to trouble-shoot long ago. . .  I've just learned to live with it.  My system has over 600 apps installed (according to Go64) and I have exclusively used Migration Assistant for upgrades for so long, Who Knows what may be lurking in the shadows to cause these minor conflicts?  My 2012 Mac Mini is otherwise rock-solid. (I have a 2018 Mac Mini waiting to be set-up, so soon I'll be moving from High Sierra to Mojave.)   

I would have replied before now (my apologies for not doing so!) but I was having other problems with Firefox (usability issues mainly. . .) so I decided to give the Brave web browser another try.  It had been quite awhile since I last demoed it and it is much improved.  So much so I have been using it pretty much exclusively. . . 

There are some minor annoyances like 1Password not always working as expected but it is rare and the workaround isn't a big deal.  And Netflix/Amazon Prime videos do not play (Brave is missing a necessary DRM component). But I rarely watch videos on my Mac and when I do I switch to Safari.

One surprise with Brave:  Bookmacster is working without a hitch and I haven't installed an extension. (I use the Bookmacster icon in the Finder Menu Bar.)  I absentmindedly tried to bookmark something and it Just Works.  Sweet!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 3:23am
Print Post  
My thoughts:

In the first three paragraphs of your message, I think you are saying that this stuff is OK now.  So I shall skip down to But now I have a new problem:.

I do not have a macOS 10.13 system handy right now.  But I tested adding some bookmarks from Firefox directly to BookMacster, since this seems to be the new problem.  I tried both using the BookMacster Button extension in Firefox, and using the BookMacster item in the main menu bar.  Result: Both worked as expected.

I realize this is unlikely, but a possible explanation is that you had another web browser open and active all this time, and BookMacster was therefore bookmarking whatever site was frontmost in that other web browser, as it should.

My next suggestion would be things you've said you've already done … relaunching Firefox and clearing history.

So I looked at our code.  There is only one line of "code" in our Firefox extension which "gets" the title and URL of the currently-active tab.  So, although I hate to blame someone else, this really looks like an issue in Firefox.  But I can't imagine a bug in which Firefox would give us the title and URL of a tab which was not even open since relaunching Firefox, and has been cleared from browsing history.  That would be a security/privacy issue!

Probably if you tried this in a different Firefox profile or macOS user account, it would work fine for you, as it does for me.  There must be something bad in your Firefox profile.

Is the web page that you are constantly getting, by any chance, your Firefox home page?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry-

Both conditions are being met:  A .bmco document is open i.e. I see all of my bookmarks listed in the drop down menu and Firefox is the front application.

Safari works fine with Bookmacster.  But Safari has not been working well in other ways since I upgraded to 13.0/13.1.

I just ran Firefox Add-Ons debugging:  Now the adding bookmarks options are appearing as they should.  I am also seeing a greyed-out notice when I click the Bookmacster icon in the Finder Menu Bar.  It is advising me to check the Bookmacster extension in its preferences.  It shows the Button extension as being loaded.

So it appears the debugging fixed something even though it didn't indicate that anything is wrong with any of the installed extensions.

But now I have a new problem:  When I try to bookmark the open Firefox tab, Bookmacster is going to save a previously-visited website that isn't open. It isn't even one of the other tabs currently at the top of the Firefox window.  I tried restarting Firefox and cleared the recent history and the same old webpage title appears.  When I go ahead and bookmark it, it is the old webpage that is bookmarked!

I've verified that Safari is not having the same problem.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2019 at 4:04am by MrX »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2019 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Hello, MrX.

Regarding the first issue (menu bar), the Add [whatever] to menu item only appears if

(a) You have a BookMacster .bmco document open (although it may be minimized to the dock or in the background) and,

(b) A web browser such as Safari or Firefox is the active application (which means that its name appears after the Apple in the upper left corner of the screen).

Regarding the second issue (BookMacster Button extension in Firefox), requirement (a) applies.

I just retested these functions in BookMacster 2.9.15, the latest version, and all works for me.

If this does not resolve the issue, send us some screenshots or more explanation.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MrX
Bookmarking Website Isn't Working With Firefox 69
Sep 27th, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
When I try to add a bookmark via Bookmacster via its icon in the Finder Menu Bar, I do not get to select where I want to put the bookmark.  All I am allowed to do is visit one of the bookmarks in the drop-down list.  When I click the Bookmacster icon in the Firefox extension toolbar nothing happens.

I have the "button" extension installed as I always work directly with Bookmacster.

I recently switched from Safari to Firefox so I am wanting things to work like they did in Safari. Frankly, I know very little about using Firefox. . . I stuck with Safari mainly because it was easier to use LOL.

Firefox 69.0.1
Mac OS 10.13.6

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint