Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Update Names of Websites in BookMacster possible? (Read 4262 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Update Names of Websites in BookMacster possible?
Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Hello again, mindblaster.  Thank you for the follow up.

First of all, there was a bug in BookMacster – in my testing, it incorrectly exported 1 out of 8 non-ASCII characters.  7 out of 8 is not good enough for a computer  Smiley  We do have a version which works like a charm, correctly exporting 8 out of 8 and, I think, all non-ASCII characters now.  But that is BookMacster version 2.9.19 which we have not published yet.  So if it it (BookMacster 2.9.15) works like a charm now, it must be that you somehow removed the non-working non-ASCII characters from your bookmark names.

Indeed, the problem we found was that BookMacster 2.9.18 and earlier would attempt to encode all non-ASCII characters in names, and those in the higher Unicode planes were not being encoded correctly.  In our fixed version, BookMacster 2.9.19 encodes only the five HTML control characters in names, as Safari and Firefox do when you Export Bookmarks to HTML.  So now, all characters get exported correctly.

So, I'm happy you found this bug, and yes we did fix it, but you don't have the fix yet.

Regarding your workflow: Importing and exporting between Chrome and BookMacster via an intermediate HTML file as you described, although useful for one-time organizational purposes, is indeed not the way that BookMacster is usually used.  In the submenu File > Export to only that Choose File (Advanced) menu item which you are using is tucked way down at the bottom, below the browser names Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.  These browser-name menu items export to the browsers directly, no HTML file involved, which is usually what you want to do.  By default, it replaces the bookmarks in the browser with those in BookMacster, all in one step.  It does not put them in a special Imported folder, leaving you to reorganize them manually.  If the latter is what you want, then OK go the HTML file route.  But the direct export (and, similarly, import) is what most users want most of the time.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mindblaster42
HTML Entity (Decimal)
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the fast answer Smiley

Yes you were right, it seems to work like an charm now

BUT
sorry, maybe it's a error in Chrome, or not supported by the html standard:

As best practice for me, to edit a lot of Bookmarks in Chrome:

-I export as html from Chrome
-Import in BM this html
-and then again, export as html in BM
-when i now import this html into Chrome,
all the non ascii characters shows as "HTML Entity (Decimal)"

for example the Apple Apps site names, all starts with "‎"

or more specific:
"☆" (white star (U+2606)) shows as HTML Entity (Decimal) "& # 9 7 3 4 ;" (put spaces in between for this website)

so sorry for the question, maybe this is just how html should works and its my workflow which screwed it up.

I presume there is no build in function in BM, to renew the site names from the url (or HTML Entity (Decimal)), once I screwed up the names i?

But sorry, maybe i just handle the program wrong...
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2019 at 3:27pm by mindblaster42 »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Update Names of Websites in BookMacster possible?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Hello, adrian.

Thank you for contacting us.  I just tested this with a sample of 8 of non-ASCII characters and found that 7 of them, éń↓↑ⓧ⌘♭, were exported correctly but one of them () was not.  I entered a requirement to try and fix this for the next version.  If you can send us or post a list of non-ASCII characters which are not exported correctly, we'll be sure to check those.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mindblaster42
Update Names of Websites in BookMacster possible?
Oct 28th, 2019 at 3:41am
Print Post  
The html export in BM screwed up the non-ascii-names of websites.
-So i wonder if its possible to update them in BM automatically - I presume not?

And if yes, if there is a way to safely export it with non-ascii characters intact...

thanks
adrian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint