Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Sort Folders Only (Read 7604 times)
Tim
Re: Sort Folders Only
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Jerry -

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't realize this thread had been updated. I've downloaded the new version and will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Tim

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
This new feature is now available in BookMacster 2.10.25, for anyone who wants to test it.

At this time, because we're not sure whether we are going to keep this feature, it is in a "special" branch, and must be downloaded manually from this link.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking of adding the user interface for this new feature to the Collection document's tab Settings > Sorting, like this:

Say that our Collection document is set to “Sort alpha-numerically by Name” (the default setting) and a certain parent folder has the following arragement of 3 folders and 3 bookmarks with the following names:

A Folder
Some Bookmark
Another Bookmark
Nice Bookmark
Another Folder
Some Folder

Referring to the screenshot above, let's say you bulleted “Folders over Bookmarks” and switched on “Sort folders only”, then clicked in the menu: Bookmarks > Sort all (or sorting is done automatically, during a syncing operation).  The result would be that the parent folder described above would be rearranged to look like this:

A Folder
Another Folder
Some Folder
Some Bookmark
Another Bookmark
Nice Bookmark

Importantly, note that, like the existing Bookmarks above folders and vice versa settings, there is only one Sort folders/bookmarks only setting which will apply to all folders in the whole Collection document.  That is, you could not have different settings per folder.  This is in the interest of keeping things as simple as possible, which is best for developers and best for user.

What do you think?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tim
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry. I totally understand not wanting features to get out of control Smiley As always, thanks for the great support, and a great application.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
OK, Tim, I'll think about it some more.  Maybe it would not be so confusing.  You know, though, someone needs to push back on feature creep  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tim
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
I actually add folders on a pretty regular basis (any time I am adding more than a few bookmarks that can be categorized, which is usually several times a day). I find alphabetical sorting to be fine if there are few enough bookmarks that I can see all of them at once, but if I have to scroll through them it doesn't work since it requires me to remember the bookmark name for the last X bookmarks I added to the folder. Alphabetical sorting of folders is an absolute requirement for me though, which is why I had hoped there was an option to only sort them.

I respectively disagree with your belief that it would be confusing though - you already have an option to sort folders above bookmarks, so adding an option to sort folders only or keep them together at the top without sorting doesn't seem too confusing. In fact, it seems like a separate (non-sort) "Keep Folders Together" or "Keep Folders At The Top" option would work. That being said, I will manually move folders if that is the only option.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hello, Tim.

Thank you for contacting us.

There is no way to do that, and my initial reaction is that adding such an option on top of the many options for sorting our apps already have would cause more confusion than happiness among users.

I suggest that you mark  to be unsorted any such parent folder in which you want the subfolders to be sorted but the bookmarks to be unsorted.  When you add a new folder, which I presume is not very often, manually move it into alphabetical order.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Tim
Sort Folders Only
Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Is there a way to sort folders automatically (i.e. keep them above bookmarks, in alphabetical order), but keep bookmarks unsorted. I like having my folders at the top, but I don't want the individual bookmarks sorted alphabetically because I like having newer ones at the bottom. Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint