Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Safari: "You can't change bookmarks now." (Read 645 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Safari: "You can't change bookmarks now."
Dec 2nd, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
As y'all can imagine, I am constantly beating on my Safari / iCloud bookmarks, often poking at them with outlandish reverse-engineering experiments to see what happens.  As a result, the Safari / iCloud bookmarks are often broken.  The last week or so I have sometimes been getting intermittent You can't change bookmarks now dialogs when attempting to change bookmarks.  Although this problem has never been reported by users of our apps, I'm posting what I learned today, because I have seen this reported in other forums, with no good answers.

To fix You can't change bookmarks now, you should, first of all, wait a few minutes as the message advises and try again.  Then if you still have the issue, you can either log out and then back in to your Mac account, or try this slightly less extreme fix:
  • Quit Safari.
  • Activate Finder.
  • Click in the menu: Go > Utilities.
  • In the window that opens, find and launch Activity Monitor.
  • Into the search field of the window that opens, enter SafariBookmarks (all one word).  The list should be shortened to reveal SafariBookmarksSyncAgent.
  • Click to select SafariBookmarksSyncAgent.
  • Click the "X" button in the toolbar.
  • In the sheet which appears, click "Quit".
That fixed it for me, twice.  I checked to see if quitting either Safari or SafariBookmarksSyncAgent alone would fix the problem, but it did not.  It seems you must quit both of them, as described above.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2019 at 10:58pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint