Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Safari into Bookmacster (Read 4068 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Safari into Bookmacster
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
For most browsers, we can get the new bookmark information from the browser using AppleScript.  But Firefox is not AppleScriptable, so instead we must use one of our browser extensions.

Either the BookMacster Sync or BookMacster Button extension, installable from the menu BookMacster > Manage Browser Extensions… window, will suffice.  If you do not need BookMacster to sync Firefox bookmarks, you should install the BookMacster Button extension because it is more lightweight than BookMacster Sync.

If you already do have one of these extensions installed, maybe it is not working.  Uninstall and then re-Install.

I just tried adding a bookmark from Firefox and it works for me.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

haraldo
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2020 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Jerry, you saved the day !
Although I did a fair bit of reading Bookmacster related help pages, I must have missed this. Anyhow, I set up the keyboard shortcuts and they work as expected in Chrome.
Less so in Firefox:
There is no "Add..." in the floating panel when invoked from Firefox
Just a grey entry saying "Please check extension Bookmacster->Mange browser extensions"
Not sure what I am supposed to check in "browser extensions". Looks pretty normal to me.

I wanted to insert screenshot but the BBS would not let me since I  have not posted 2 regular messages, yet.

Thoughts ?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2020 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I get the impression that you are adding a bookmark to Safari, waiting for BookMacster to sync it in, then launching BookMacster to add your tag.

BookMacster offers six facilities for adding a new bookmark directly to BookMacster.  These are listed in the Help Book.  I recommend one of the first three (global keyboard shortcut, dock menu or menu extra).  (The fourth method (BookMacster Button) is not available in Safari because of the limited capabilities Apple has provided for Safari extensions.)

Then, to add tags with minimum clicking, either set the heading in the third column of your Content view to show "Tags" and use the popover, or if you are like me and don't like popovers, in Preferences > Adding, set the bullets to open the Inspector upon landing a new bookmark.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2020 at 5:37pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

haraldo
Safari into Bookmacster
May 14th, 2020 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Is there a way to directly add a bookmark straight from Safari to Bookmacster including tagging ? Right now is looks like a 2 step process, ie "add bookmark" with Safari, then switch over to Bookmacster and tag there. Am I missing something ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint