Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Safari Reading List into Firefox Location (Read 7632 times)
RedmanGotcha
Re: Safari Reading List into Firefox Location
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
YES!!! Moving Safari to the top definitely worked.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:02am
Print Post  
cannot see the Safari Reading List anymore

I presume you mean the Reading List in BookMacster, which should contain the bookmarks in Safari's Reading List after importing from Safari.  The Reading List should certainly make the journey because it is the same file – there is no journey.

Hmmm, this could happen if you created a new .bmco document in BookMacster instead of opening "Synkmark.bmco".

It could also happen if the Client Safari did not make the journey, although that should not happen either.  But assuming something went wrong, the Reading List could be named Other Bookmarks if Firefox precedes Safari in the list in Settings > Clients or if Safari is absent from Clients.  Moving Safari to the top (using the up-arrow buttons in the Clients list) should change the name of that folder back to Reading List.

Am I understanding the problem correctly?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

RedmanGotcha
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Maybe its possible that the "Reading List" didn't make the journey over with the .bcmo file?

IP Logged

RedmanGotcha
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Ok so something weird happened.. Before when i was just using SynkMark... I could see Safari Reading List... When i added something to the Reading List in Safari, that URL would show up in Bookmarks on Firefox.

Now after upgrading to BookMacster, I do not even see the Safari Reading List anywhere.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
This only works in BookMacster, but for a different reason.  The reason is that Synkmark does not have the "Advanced Client Settings" buttons in the list of browsers, because the idea of Synkmark is to give users who "just want their bookmarks synced" fewer ways to mess things up Smiley

To upgrade from Synkmark to BookMacster,

• In Synkmark, switch syncing to Paused.
• Quit Synkmark
• Download and install BookMacster.
• Run BookMacster.  Do not create a New Collection.  If it steers you into creating a New Collection, do not save it.  Close and Delete it.
• Click in the menu: File > Open.  It will show you an empty Collections folder.
• Navigate up one level, to ~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster.  You should see in there your Synkmark.bmco file.
• Open Synkmark.bmco.
• Optional but recommended to reduce future confusion: By clicking in the title bar, rename the file from Synkmark.bmco to WhateverYouLike.bmco and move the file into the Collections folder.
• Click in the menu: BookMacster > Licensing > Try or Buy and either get a demo license or immediately purchase the upgrade to BookMacster.  When purchasing the upgrade to BookMacster, when it sees your Synkmark license in Synkmark's preferences still installed, it will reduce the price to something like $6 USD.

When you are happy with BookMacster and have purchased the upgrade, do not uninstall Synkmark because that may remove components which are used by BookMacster too.  Instead, just drag Synkmark.app to the trash and, if you want to be really neat, delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Synkmark.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

RedmanGotcha
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Real quick, I am using Synkmark not BookMacster. Will this only work in BookMacster as it has the "collections" feature?

IP Logged

RedmanGotcha
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Excellent, i am going to give this a try as soon as i get home! I will let you know.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Hello, Redman.

Thank you for contacting us.

I was thinking how to write a Sorry, no response, but then from way back in my memory I remembered that we added features to do this a few years ago.  I just tested making such a Fake Reading List in Firefox, and by golly it still works  Cool

There is even an article in the Help Book which explains how to cofigure a similar thing, for Chrome.  For what you want, do this:

• In BookMacster create a folder named something like "Fake Reading List", which will be your "Reading List" in Firefox.

• In Settings > Clients > Safari Advanced Client Settings > Tag ↔ Folder Mappings section, click the "[+] button and add a Folder-to-Tag Mapping which acts during Import, tagging any item from the hard Reading List with a special tag, such as "to-read".

• In Settings > Clients > Firefox Advanced Client Settings > Tag ↔ Folder Mappings section, click the "[+] button and add a Tag-to-Folder Mapping which acts during Export, moving any item with your special tag into the Fake Reading List folder in Firefox.

• Set an Export Exclusion so that the "Fake Reading List" folder is not exported to Safari.

• Click in the menu: File > Export to all, to export your still-empty "Fake Reading List" to Firefox.

Now, whenever you import from Safari (or whenever our Agent imports from Safari while BookMacster is quit due to a change in Safari), items in Reading List will get the special tag.  And whenever you export to Firefox (or whenever our Agent exports to Firefox to effect syncing), those same bookmarks will be exported into the "Fake Reading List" in Firefox.

I think you could also add two more mappings to make it work in the other direction too – items added to "Fake Reading List" in Firefox would be moved to the hard "Reading List" in Safari.

This probably warrants me making a 5-minute movie explaining how to do it, if for no other reason than so I don't forget again Embarrassed  Tell me if you think the movie would be helpful and I shall do.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

RedmanGotcha
Safari Reading List into Firefox Location
Jun 7th, 2020 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Is there a way to change where in Firefox items from Safari Reading List go?

If i wanted to create a folder in the Firefox Favorites bar and have all Reading List items go into there, is that possible?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint