Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic automatic Syncing stops "To avoid conflicts" error (Read 3190 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: automatic Syncing stops "To avoid conflicts" error
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Hello ny.

Thank you for contacting us.  Yes, you've reconfigured it wrong.  There are two usage modes for BookMacster.

MODE 1: AUTOMATIC SYNCING BETWEEN BROWSERS

• In BookMacster's Preferences > General, the Launch in Background checkbox must be OFF.
• In System Preferences, > Users and Groups > Login Items, BookMacster should NOT be listed..
• You should leave BookMacster quit except when you are doing bookmarks housecleaning.

MODE 2: MANUALLY ADD BOOKMARKS DIRECTLY to BookMacster.

• In BookMacster's Preferences > General, the Launch in Background checkbox MAY be ON.
• In System Preferences, > Users and Groups > Login Items, BookMacster MAY be listed..
• You should leave BookMacster running so it can accept new bookmarks.

Your message reads as though you want MODE 1 but have disobeyed the directives.

To fix the Launch in Backgroiund is tricky now because BookMacster is in the background and will not show its menu so you can fix that preference.  If BookMacster's icon is showing in the menu bar in the top right of your screen, click it and then click Show BookMacster.  If not, type the keyboard shortcut you configured to show BookMacster's Floating Menu and then Show BookMacster.  If you forgot the keyboard shortcut you configured, open a Terminal window and type this command:

defaults delete com.sheepsystems.BookMacster launchInBackground

Then open Activity Monitor, find BookMacster in the list, and quit it.  The relaunch BookMacster.

Once you've got BookMacster showing, click in the menu: BookMacster > Preferences, then switch off Launch in Background.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ny-232
automatic Syncing stops "To avoid conflicts" error
Apr 2nd, 2021 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Each time I startup my mac I get an error warning "To avoid conflicts with your editing of this Collection, automatic Syncing with Clients is suspended until you finish and close this window."

This started about a month ago and I'm not sure what I changed but it happens every time now - not sure if an error or just that I'm not using BookMacster correctly anymore / forgot how to use it? I will try to insert a composite screenshot for settings but am not sure how to do that on this board, in case it doesn't work: Full Syncing (simple) defaults, and, with Sorting also checked, import from / export to primary browser, export only to secondary browser.

When the warning started, I manually imported all bookmarks from my primary browser and re-set syncing to Simple, with defaults - I found that no changes for months had been recorded into the Collection (I rarely use the secondary browser). I always select ask what to do if nothing opens on launch, and, then pick Backbround bookmacster after re-starting sync (which is now remaining on yellow). The mac I use this on has macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and 4 user accounts on the same mac. I have been using BookMacster for years on 3 user accounts, these three have *different* Collections documents: at work, Firefox and a work-01 collection, Firefox as primary (import only, sort; export to Firefox and Safari secondary); at home-1, Safari, Firefox; Safari primary also uses iCloud - only Safari using iCloud; home-2 - Firefox, Vivaldi, Firefox primary.

Any ideas?

This forum won't let me post an image as a forum new user but a screenshot composite showing settings is at short url ending in 3sKkEX9 at the  bit  dot  ly  shortener
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2021 at 1:01pm by ny-232 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint