Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Support for Chrome Dev? (Read 3070 times)
evans
Re: Support for Chrome Dev?
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2021 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I know the documentation was outdated, but it was the first place I found Google documenting more than Chrome and Canary. It was always "pick a channel, any channel" before (as you know), and to switch to a different one required a new install.

I don't know which (Chrome or Edge) affected which, but I'm guessing it's in the Chromium code base now just like Profiles (which I'm assuming is in the Chromium code base since Edge and Wavebox (based off of Chromium) have adopted support for profiles.

It might be only a matter of time before the other Chromium-based browsers add similar "capabilities."

On the plus side, I guess it's good news for SSBs since they can be based on stable Chrome with fewer updates and "regular" browsing can be in Dev (or whatever).

I don't know how "new" this is, but I'm guessing fairly new. I first came across Dev in May, I think, with a new setup. Before that, it was last August or September when I setup a machine from scratch, and Dev didn't exist then.

Anyway, if you want/need someone to test if you do add support, let me know.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Support for Chrome Dev?
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2021 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Hello, evans.

That Google document you referred to (ignoring Chromium, which is a different animal), lists folder locations for three release channels of Chrome: Chrome, Chrome Beta, and Chrome Canary (aka Alpha).

Our apps have supported Chrome and Chrome Canary, but never Beta.  However, as you say, I now read that there is indeed a fourth release channel named Chrome Dev, which is two weeks behind Chrome Canary.  Apparently the Google document you referred to is not updated yet.  I just installed Chrome Dev and the folder location is as you said.  Reverse engineering prevails when documentation fails  Sad

I suppose we could soon release a version which supports Chrome Beta and Chrome Dev.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

evans
Support for Chrome Dev?
Jul 6th, 2021 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
So...I'm apparently going to be that guy asking about support for various flavors of browsers.

I know all flavors of Edge (stable, Beta, Dev), Chrome and Chrome Canary, Brave and Brave Beta are supported...

I recently got a new computer and started with a fresh user account and all.  Google seems to have followed Microsoft (or vice-versa) and now have a separate "App"/user data directory for each channel (Stable, Beta, Dev) (https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/docs/user_data_...).

When installing Chrome Dev, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome Dev. There's a NativeMessagingHosts folder below that. I don't know if you're using NMH or something else, but I thought I read something about NMH in the release notes awhile back.

The "new" Chrome Dev has a new bundle identifier (com.google.Chrome.dev) and app name (Google Chrome Dev)

Interestingly enough, 1Password and Dropbox both put their NMH json files under ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome even though Chrome (non-Dev) has never been installed.

Anyway, the extensions are installed correctly, but they don't appear under Manage Browser Extensions.

More Tests... doesn't reveal any Chrome profiles.

Code
Select All
You have 0 Brave Beta profiles:

You have 0 Brave profiles:

You have 0 Chrome Canary profiles:

You have 0 Chrome profiles:

You have 0 Chromium profiles:

You have 0 Edge profiles:

You have 1 Edge Beta profiles:
    Profile 1 (identifier = 'Default')

You have 0 Edge Dev profiles:

You have 1 Firefox profiles:

You have 0 Opera profiles:

You have 0 Vivaldi profiles: 

If I'm missing something, please let me know.  Otherwise, it looks like Google's changed things.

I obviously don't have other Chrome-ish browsers installed (other than Edge), but since Edge and Google seem to be separating the user data directories, I'm guessing it's a Chromium thing now.

This is on macOS 11.4 and BookMacster 2.11.11 (as the screenshot indicates, but I thought I'd state it anyway) and Chrome 93.0.4557.4.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint