Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Since upgrading to 2.12, bookmacster is arguing... (Read 2494 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Since upgrading to 2.12, bookmacster is arguing...
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 2:22am
Print Post  
Hello, Dreamer.

Thank you for contacting us.

It seems to want to move my first Bookmarks bookmark from position 2 to 1, and move the Hard Folder "Reading List" from position 1 to 2.

I don't know what you mean by first Bookmarks bookmark.  The Reading List should have been at position 3 (if you had a Bookmarks Menu in the previous BookMacster) or 2 if you did not.  If the Bookmarks Menu was removed by BookMacster 2.12, the Reading List would have moved from position 3 to 2.  Without having witnessed what happened myself, I don't know what to say.

Not sure how it's seeing this or why, though when I had upgraded and it did its magic, it created a second Hard Folder "Reading List" not italics, and move all my reading list links into it.  Leaving me with an empty "Reading List" in Safari.

Sorry, again I cannot explain that, except to say that the second "Reading List" without italics is not a Hard Folder.  The titles of Hard Folders always appear in italics.

I tried to fix that, by merging the new "Reading List" back into the old "Reading List".  For that, it interleaved my "Reading List" into my Favorites.

Again, sorry, I can't imagine how that would happen.

Aside from issues where it doesn't wait long enough for Chrome or Edge to start before ... making things worse, like killing Chrome so it'll block asking if it should restore or continue normally.  It'll kind of work at first, and then require an intervention, because does various things due to minor sync errors, but after about 5 tries to move "Reading List" to after my first bookmark.  It'll complain that something is reverting this change.

My apologies again; I don't understand that narrative.  Are you saying that BookMacster launched Chrome or Edge to perform an export and did not wait long enough after launch to begin the export?  I think we have a 10-second or so wait programmed in, but that is unchanged in the update from BookMacster 2.11.8 to 2.12.

Its also somewhat annoying that its rewriting 5 javascript links into my Chrome-ish browsers on every export, while leaving the links as is everywhere else.  Haven't actually tried the links in Edge yet (I hardly use my Windows machine, which has been more than my chromebook.), but copying the changed link back to Safari doesn't seem to have caused any (new) issues.

There is a change in BookMacster 2.12 which is maybe involved here.  We found another class of URLs which did not work in Chrome-ish browsers, and Chrome-ish browsers change them in unpredictable ways.  Therefore, BookMacster 2.12 deletes such problematic bookmarks when exporting to Chrome-ish browsers.  If you are using, for example, Chrome Sync, maybe Chrome Sync is restoring them (which it should not).

I'm not sure if there are still issues to be resolved in your bookmarks organization or syncing.  If so, send us your data using Trouble Zipper and I shall try to reproduce the issues.  To do that,

• Run BookMacster
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks and Documents), answer "Include Bookmarks and Documents"
• In the list which appears, choose "Google Chrome", then, holding down the ⌘ key, "Safari" ans whatever else is not working.
• In the "Please explain..." section, leave it blank unless you have more information to tell.
• "Dropbox" me the resulting .zip, as instructed.

Or at least copy and paste to me the URLs of the problematic javascript links as they appear in Chrome.  It seems like that issue should be easy to reproduce.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

The Dreamer
Since upgrading to 2.12, bookmacster is arguing...
Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:35am
Print Post  
...with Safari.  Think I was on 2.8 before the upgrade.  I'm on Mojave.

It seems to want to move my first Bookmarks bookmark from position 2 to 1, and move the Hard Folder "Reading List" from position 1 to 2.

Not sure how it's seeing this or why, though when I had upgraded and it did its magic, it created a second Hard Folder "Reading List" not italics, and move all my reading list links into it.  Leaving me with an empty "Reading List" in Safari.

I tried to fix that, by merging the new "Reading List" back into the old "Reading List".  For that, it interleaved my "Reading List" into my Favorites.

After I calmed down, I moved every other link, until it was just "Reading List" and dragged those over to "Reading List", and a normal import back and things seemed to work...and I was able to sort by time in Bookmacster to get the order mostly back for Reading List.  Though some bookmarks crept in and some links are 404 now, and it took some time for Safari to recrawl all the reading list entries to generate new titles, offline copies.

Aside from issues where it doesn't wait long enough for Chrome or Edge to start before ... making things worse, like killing Chrome so it'll block asking if it should restore or continue normally.  It'll kind of work at first, and then require an intervention, because does various things due to minor sync errors, but after about 5 tries to move "Reading List" to after my first bookmark.  It'll complain that something is reverting this change.

Its also somewhat annoying that its rewriting 5 javascript links into my Chrome-ish browsers on every export, while leaving the links as is everywhere else.  Haven't actually tried the links in Edge yet (I hardly use my Windows machine, which has been more than my chromebook.), but copying the changed link back to Safari doesn't seem to have caused any (new) issues.

The Dreamer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint