Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Syncing will not "Stick" (Read 3423 times)
MJP
Re: Syncing will not "Stick"
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
It looks like I forgot after the last patch update to re-authorize the Syncing Agent.  Working now, I am kipping the thread so I can run through again in the future.

Great work in reacting to the Safari Changes...!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 11:56am
Print Post  
OK, I looked at your Logs > Errors and now I see more significant errors which probably explain the issue.

First of all, please note that the first line in the Logs > Errors tab is a popup menu of recent errors, starting with the most recent.  The indication of Error 118747 which you see when you open the tab is just the most recent error.  Click that popup menu and you will see dozens more errors.

Most significantly, yesterday there were quite a few occurrences of Agent Error 235221 - BkmxAgent cannot access Safari bookmarks.  That's a serious error.  It does not turn syncing off, but it will definitely prevent it from working.  This article explains how to fix it.  Pay particular attention to the BkmxAgent.

Also significant is the many Agent Error 294833  There are some duplicate bookmarks at your root level in Safari.  The last one of those was 5 days ago, so you may have fixed it (deleting those duplicates) by now, but if you have not, do so.

If you have fixed both of the above but things are still not syncing, please scan through our Top Reasons for Syncing Trouble.

One more thing.  I wonder if maybe you were not alerted to all of those Agent Error 235221.  Maybe our syncing notifications are muted in your System Preferences.  Here is how to check and fix that.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2022 at 5:35am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Hello again, Matt.

I just confirmed by reading the code, and simulating Error 118747, that an occurrence of Error 118747 does not switch off syncing.  So Error 118747 is not the cause of the issue are you seeing.  Actually, Error 118747 happens once in a while, even on good days, and it's not a big deal.  That's why we don't alert and display when it happens.

So the cause must be something else.  You could continue on with the other suggestions in my previous message, but first look at something else I just thought of.  Again, open the Logs window, but this time stay in the Messages tab.  There is a filter field at the upper right.  Copy-paste or type "SMLogin" into that filter field.  The message list will narrow to show only messages containing the text "SMLogin".  They will all begin with one of these two phrases:

SMLoginItem doing ON
SMLoginItem doing OFF

SMLoginItem (It's an Apple thing) is what we use to control the on/off of our background syncing agent.  "doing ON" means that the agent is being switched ON, "doing OFF" means that the agent is being switched OFF.  Looking at the timestamps on those entries, do you see any times that the agent was switched OFF without being immediately followed by a switch ON, in other words, that it was OFF for an appreciable duration?

If that does not resolve the issue, and if you are still having this issue, run our Trouble Zipper as explained in my previous message so I can have a look at the logs and stuff myself. Whoops, I just was cleaning out email and see that you've already done that.  OK, we shall dig into your data tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2022 at 5:07am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MJP
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2022 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

This is the error I got...

2022-09-21 11:29:15 Snkmk Error 118747
Failed restarting sync watches, fixed by rebooting agent

When this error occurred:

2022-09-21 11:29:15

───── Underlying Cause ─────

Agent encountered 1 errors when restarting watches.  To see errors, click in the menu: Synkmark > Logs, then click tab Errors.

When this error occurred:

2022-09-21 11:29:14

Error in Snkmk pid=96244 at 2022-09-21 11:29:15
NSError 0x6000014188a0
***     code: 118747
***   domain: com.sheepsystems.Synkmark
*** userInfo:
   **Key: Method Name
   Value: -[NSUserDefaults(Bkmx) updateBkmxAgentServiceStatus_offOnly:]_block_invoke
   **Key: Timestamp
   Value: 2022-09-21 11:29:15
   **Key: NSLocalizedDescription
   Value: Failed restarting sync watches, fixed by rebooting agent
   **Key: NSUnderlyingError
   Value:    NSError 0x60000141b840
   ***     code: 889572
   ***   domain: com.sheepsystems.Synkmark
   *** userInfo:
      **Key: Method Name
      Value: -[BkmxAppDel restartSyncWatchesThen:]_block_invoke_2
      **Key: NSLocalizedDescription
      Value: Agent encountered 1 errors when restarting watches.  To see errors, click in the menu: Synkmark > Logs, then click tab Errors.
      **Key: Timestamp
      Value: 2022-09-21 11:29:14

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Hello, Matt.

• Make our app the active app on your Mac.
• Click in the main menu under the app's name: Logs….
• In the window that opens, click the Errors tab.
• Skim through the recent errors in the popup menu.  The short description in the top pane generally, I think, indicates if the error caused Syncing to be paused.

By default, errors which stop syncing should post a "sticky" note in the macOS Notification Center.  But it depends on how you responded to the first one.  That's too long to discuss here.  Notification Center, oh, Notification Center  Cry

Anyhow, any interesting errors in there?  If so, and you think we should take a look, run Trouble Zipper as explained below.

Also, you might want to try watching the running of our agent process, BkmxAgent…

• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go > Utilities.
• Launch the application named "Activity Monitor".  A window will open.
• In the top right corner of the window is a text fieod for filtering results.  Type "BkmxA" into that field.  The list showld collapse to show only any "BkmxAgent" processes that are running.

If syncing is Ready or Running (the latter is when our app is quit), there should be one (and only one) BkmxAgent process indicated in Activity Monitor.  Otherwise, no BkmxAgent.  Switch Syncing back and forth between Ready and Paused a few times.  Does that work?

Move the Activity Monitor window to the bottom of the screen where you can keep an eye on it.  The only time BkmxAgent should disappear is if you launch our app and Pause or switch off Syncing.  Is it disappearing (indicating no syncing) at other times?

To send us your data with Trouble Zipper,

• Run BookMacster/Synkmark
• Click in the menu: Help ▸ Trouble Zipper
• For Question X (Extra Extension Tests), answer "No"
• For Question B (Bookmarks and Documents), answer "Don't Include Bookmarks and Documents"
• In the "Please explain..." section, tell us the time of any recent events when syncing stopped.
• Send me the resulting .zip via MailDrop, Dropbox or whatever, as instructed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

MJP
Syncing will not "Stick"
Sep 16th, 2022 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Hi,

I know you are probably snowed under with issuers after Safari 16 came out but I wanted to give you some feedback on an issue.  I have upgraded to 3.0.1and the Chrome Extension is being communicated with, export works (no issues I believe), but...  If I turn syncing on, do the export (no issues) and quit... the app stops syncing and when I reopen it is "paused again"...

I am sure you are working the issue but wanted to give you some feedback.

Matt (mattpackwood@gmail.com)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint