Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Markster bookmarks disappeared (Read 2638 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Markster bookmarks disappeared
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Yes, I forgot there is another way.  Markster has adopted macOS Document Versioning.

• Activate Markster.
• Click in the menu: File > Revert to > Browse All Versions

Document Versioning stores very recent (usually a few revisions back) files on your hard drive, and digs into Time Machine for older files.

It seems like your Time Machine stopped working 7 months ago.  That happens  Sad  If Time Machine was working and was backing up your Home folder, that Markster.bmco package should be in Time Machine. Are you sure you are looking for the correct file:

Home > Library > Application Support > BookMacster > Markster.bmco

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DaveR937
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your quick reply.

There was not a second "Markster" file. I tried to replace the Markster file from a Time Machine backup, but although the TM backup was from the day before I had the issue, the most recent "Markster" file was "last updated" over 7 months ago. It worked, and I now have all my bookmarks from 7 months ago and prior, but i'm still missing hundreds of the most recent. Shouldn't it have been the date of the last time I did a "file > save" in Markster (which is daily)?

If you can offer any advice on finding the most recent backups I'll take it, otherwise I'll try a complete system restore or just start rebuilding my bookmarks.

Dave

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Hello, Dave.

Thank you for contacting us.

Look in our Application Support folder by doing this:

• Activate Finder.
• Click in the menu: Go > Go to folder.
• Copy and paste the following path into the small text field which appears:

~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster

Examine the window which opens.  The file named "Markster.bmco" is the new, empty bookmarks file which Markster created to recover from the error.  There is probably also a file named "Markster#.bmco".  That was the file that took "too long to open".  Markster renamed it.  If you see such a file with an appropriate modification date, you can try again to open it like this:

• Quit Markster if it is running.
• Delete the file named Markster.bmco
• Rename the file named Markster#.bmco to Markster.bmco.
• Launch Markster.

If the same error occurs, and the file gets renamed to Markster#.bmco again, well, as we say, the "problem is reproducible" and was not just a one-off lightning strike.  If you want to send us that file, I shall have a look and see if data can be recovered.  Or, you can try to restore an older, working Markster.bmco from a Time Machine or whatever other backup you have.

If you want to send us that file, you must zip it first, because it is actually a "package".  to zip it,

• Select the file named "Markster#.bmco"
• Perform a secondary cick on it, by holding down the 'control' key while you click, for example.  A contextual menu will appear.
• From the contextual menu, click the command to "Compress" that file.  A new file whose name ends in ".zip" will appear.
• If it is under 20 MB, email us that ".zip" file.
• To clean up, trash the ".zip" file.

Sincerely,

Jerry Krinock

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DaveR937
Markster bookmarks disappeared
Sep 29th, 2022 at 4:25am
Print Post  
After restarting my iMac, Markster tried to open but gave the message...

“Taking too long to open document. Suggestion to Fix this Error: If you have recently updated Markster, please click the '?' Help button for procedures to fix this issue.”

I had not recently updated (but I did recently check for an update - none was available).

Now Markster opens to a blank document - all my bookmarks are gone.

Any help appreciated
Dave R

Markster 2.12.9
2019 Intel iMac
Mac OS 12.6
External Samsung Startup Drive

Error Log:
Error in Mkstr pid=549 at 2022-09-28 23:47:39
NSError 0x600002446610
***     code: 257938
***   domain: com.sheepsystems.Markster
*** userInfo:
   **Key: NSHelpAnchor
   Value: http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx/processing-forever.html
   **Key: Method Name
   Value: -[BkmxDocumentController documentOpeningTimerTickedWithAlert:completionHandler:startTimeInterval:url:]
   **Key: NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion
   Value: If you have recently updated Markster, please click the '?' Help button for procedures to fix this issue.
   **Key: dontShowSupportEmailButton
   Value: 1
   **Key: Timestamp
   Value: 2022-09-28 23:47:31
   **Key: NSLocalizedDescription
   Value: Taking too long to open document

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint