Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Migrating from URLMP (Read 22336 times)
Dan ODonnell
Re: Migrating from URLMP
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Jerry, thanks for the reply.

I realize that BookMacster is a different app/program, and have no problem accommodating change. I like to try to figure out how the functions of the replacement map (or not) to the app being replaced. Maybe I'll create a table of feature comparisons for my own use.

Also, the user forum for URLMP is desperate to find a good replacement. I found out about BookMacster from a post to the forum by one URLMP user who finally gave up waiting and found this app as a replacement, and then reported back to the group.

AIM  
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Migrating from URLMP
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback.  Fifteen years with an app is quite impressive!  I think we called them "programs" back then.  Indeed, URL Manager Pro did run on Classic Mac OS.

I just had some private communication with another URL Manager Pro user who felt that BookMacster did too much and was too confusing.  We're going to be working on that, and also on the bookmarklet action.  But in the meantime I'll offer this advice for anyone who just wants a replacement for URL Manager Pro…

1.  In the Clients tab, after you've imported your bookmarks for the first time, turn off all Clients.  Do not think about Clients.

2.  In the Agents tab, do not activate any Agents.  Do no think about Agents.

BookMacster's Clients and Agents are for interacting with browsers' built-in bookmarks.  The whole idea behind URL Manager Pro, as I understand it, is to replace and obviate browser's built-in bookmarks.

Our XBEL importer is now working in the lab.  There should be a version of BookMacster "within days" that can import the XBEL file which you can import from URL Manager Pro.

Regarding encryption, I've made a note to look into that.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dan ODonnell
Migrating from URLMP
Oct 17th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
The time has come for me (and others) to migrate from URLMP. I have used it for close to 15 years and while I don't have highly structured files I realize whatever I replace it with will require some flexibility on my part to make the change.

I see that BookMacster doesn't yet import from either XBEL or html, but that is a (extremely useful) planned-for addition.

For syncing through the cloud, it would be nice if the file placed in the cloud service were encrypted.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint