Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Migrating from URLMP (Read 22363 times)
schnide
Re: Migrating from URLMP
Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 12:24am
Print Post  
You mentioned feature requests and there are a few I am missing from URL Manager Pro. I've mentioned some of these in an email to Jerry but I have a few new ones.

saving bookmarks in NetNewsWirePro
preferable via keystroke, secondary method via scripts menu

go to bookmark in active browser (not default from prefs/config)

different sort methods: date, URL, name

check against URL and not website name for duplication when saving

add bookmark via configurable key stroke

saving bookmarks to specific folder at time of capture

select font

hide in background when not selected application

Thanks for BookMacster. I have retired URL Manager Pro.

IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Jerry, thanks again.  You answered all my questions.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Mirskyman wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:45am:
Jerry, thanks for the fast reply. I'm still confused about how to use the bookmarklet. I did Export it to Chrome and Safari but I couldn't figure out what to do next. When I select it from the menu item, nothing happens.
Most users keep the BookMacsterize bookmarklet in the Bookmarks Bar or Toolbar, but if you're "not a toolbar person", you may keep it in the Bookmarks Menu; it will it still work.

The intended usage is that there are two ways to add a bookmark, "quick" and "neat".  You select the behavior by holding down, or not holding down, the option key.  In PreferencesAdding you set which behavior you get when you hold down, or do not hold down the option key.

• For a "quick" entry, a "BookMacsterized" bookmark is immediately added to your "New Bookmark Landing" which you have set in the Bookmarkshelf's Settings ▸ General.  And that's it.  This is for when you're in a hurry, and plan to sort your bookmarks later.  Nothing shows.  (Adding a sound effect here is on our to-do list).

• For "neat" entry, the Inspector opens so that you can fill in shortcuts, tags, comments, etc. and also move the bookmark out of your New Bookmark Landing to a different folder.  To move, use the Move hyperlink near the middle of the Inspector window.

In either case, the bookmark is added to the frontmost Bookmarkshelf Document, however to reduce clutter, you may have the Bookmarkshelf window minimized to the Dock.

Mirskyman wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:45am:
Also, can I add a bookmark to a specific folder like URLManager or is that not possible?
Not yet.  The Add Bookmark menu items are all ready to go in a future version, but we've turned them off until we can get this working in all browsers including Firefox.  (You may recall that this was broken in URL Manager Pro when Firefox 2 became Firefox 3).  We don't want to add this feature until it works in at least Safari, Firefox and Chrome.  For now, you must "Move" as described above.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Jerry, thanks for the fast reply. I'm still confused about how to use the bookmarklet. I did Export it to Chrome and Safari but I couldn't figure out what to do next. When I select it from the menu item, nothing happens.

Also, can I add a bookmark to a specific folder like URLManager or is that not possible? Thanks again.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Mirskyman wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:22am:
Hi. I tried Bookmacster tonight for the first time. I have been using URLManager Pro. I was able to easily important all my bookmarks via XBEL. However, I still can't figure out how to add a bookmark from a browser into a specific folder in BookMacster like I can in URLManager Pro. In fact, I couldn't figure out how to add the BookMacsterize bookmarklet either.  Nothing happened when I tried dragging it to my bookmark bar in Firefox or Safari.  I was able to drag it into Chrome but when I clicked on the bookmarklet, it didn't add the bookmark to BookMacster.
Ah, thanks for the feature request.  I guess that would be a instinctive reaction, to drag it.  We'll see if that can be done.  For now, click in the menu File ▸ Export Bookmarklet to ▸.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Hi. I tried Bookmacster tonight for the first time. I have been using URLManager Pro. I was able to easily important all my bookmarks via XBEL. However, I still can't figure out how to add a bookmark from a browser into a specific folder in BookMacster like I can in URLManager Pro. In fact, I couldn't figure out how to add the BookMacsterize bookmarklet either. Nothing happened when I tried dragging it to my bookmark bar in Firefox or Safari.  I was able to drag it into Chrome but when I clicked on the bookmarklet, it didn't add the bookmark to BookMacster. Thanks.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Thanks to schnide sending his data, this issue is fixed in BookMacster 1.3.2, which we plan to release on the Beta channel tomorrow.  The problem was a performance logjam which occurred when importing a large XBEL file containing many duplicated bookmarks that also do not have externally-supplied identifiers, as from URL Manager Pro.  It would take many minutes to do the import, and could crash on some Macs if resources were limited.

Anyone wanting to import an XBEL from URL Manager Pro containing a lot of duplicates would be affected, and can get BookMacster 1.3.2 later tomorrow, by changing their BookMacster ▸ Preferences ▸ Updates to Beta and clicking Check for Update.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
schnide wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:24pm:
Trying out BookMacster. Tried importing my URL Manager Pro file. I have tried it 3 times (after exporting from UMP) and all 3 times I get a crash.
Please email us the crash report right away, support@sheepsystems.com.  If you could also attach the XBEL file you exported from URL Manager Pro, that would probably make diagnosis much easier.  Of course, the XBEL contains your bookmarks.  They'll be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy…

http://sheepsystems.com/privacy

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Trying out BookMacster. Tried importing my URL Manager Pro file. I have tried it 3 times (after exporting from UMP) and all 3 times I get a crash. Do you want the crash report sent to you at a specific address? I'd prefer not to post the crash info on a public forum.
Mac OS X 10.6.4 fully patched. iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Thanks

IP Logged

chrislong
Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Sorry my mistake.

I thought I had downloaded and installed 1.2.7, but must have messed up somewhere along the line and was still running 1.2.6. Have redone the download and the Quick Import is there and works fine.

Apologises.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
chrislong wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:47pm:
Sorry this does not work for me. I have created a new Bookmarkshelf, which asks if I want to save ('yes'), then a window opens asking 'Indicate the clients ....... '. None are selected and it does not seem to matter whether I 'cancel' or 'done'.
Yes, that's expected.  The New Bookmarkshelf wizard cannot import from an XBEL file.

chrislong wrote on Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:47pm:
Click on 'File' and my list ends at 'revert', certainly no 'quick import'.
Eeek.  If you click in the menu BookMacster ▸ About BookMacster, does the window confirm that you have version 1.2.7, as in my screenshot?  I just updated BookMacster on Mac in the next room, using the built-in Check for Update, and this is what I got…

QuickImExScreenshot.png ( 23 KB | 366 Downloads )
QuickImExScreenshot.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chrislong
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Sorry this does not work for me. I have created a new Bookmarkshelf, which asks if I want to save ('yes'), then a window opens asking 'Indicate the clients ....... '. None are selected and it does not seem to matter whether I 'cancel' or 'done'.

Click on 'File' and my list ends at 'revert', certainly no 'quick import'.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Create a New Bookmarkshelf.

The Quick Import is down at the bottom.  You'll use Choose File.  Select XBEL.

URLMP-Import.png ( 43 KB | 419 Downloads )
URLMP-Import.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chrislong
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I have exported my bookmarks from URLMP but there is no option under File to import them as suggested in the Help files. Can anyone help? I am running 1.2.7.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:47am
Print Post  
We've just published a beta version, BookMacster 1.2.7, which adds ability to import and export XBEL files.  This allows users of URL Manager Pro and Webnote to import their bookmarks from those apps.  Instructions on how to do this are here:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/HelpBook/quickImEx

To update BookMacster to this latest beta, in the menu click Preferences then Updates and make sure that Beta (Early Adopter) is checked ON, then Check for Update.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint