Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sync btw specific folders (Read 5153 times)
Davide
Re: Sync btw specific folders
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much Jerry, I tried both methods you suggested and they worked great.

My only concern about using the second method is that I would rather not depend on a desktop app to manage my bookmarks. For example, switching to BookMacster instead of Delicious as my primary editor means that I won't be able to edit my bookmarks on other computers anymore. But I guess this is a pretty rare situation, so I'll go with your method and keep a single Bookmarkshelf.

Since you are the Chief Engineer, you may be interested in some suggestions:

- rename tags function
- tags suggestion from existing tags
- Diigo support
- Firefox and Safari extensions (the bookmarklet is fine, but not perfect. For example, if BookMacster is off when I click on the bookmarklet, this launches the software but it does not add the new bookmark. So I have to click on the bookmarklet again. In general, it would be better to have a more integrated workflow, if possible. Something that feels less like you are using two distinct software)
- and since this is a great software, I think it deserves a new beautiful design, more "Mac-like", I was thinking of something like Things: http://culturedcode.com/things/

Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Sync btw specific folders
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
First, let's cover importing your Delicious bookmarks always into the Bookmarks Menu.  If this is not working for you, first, remove bookmarks from the Root if there are any.  Then in the Structure tab ▸ Items Allowed at Root, uncheck "Bookmarks".  Then at the bottom set Default Parent to Bookmarks Menu.  Now when you import from Delicious, all bookmarks should go into the Bookmarkshelf's Bookmarks Menu.  Worked for me.

Next, regarding Import Clean Slate not applying to the Bookmarks Bar, BookMacster does not allow such granularity.  It's either all ON or all OFF.  To get the effect you want, you'd need two Bookmarkshelf documents.  The one in your screenshot would become your "DeliciousToSafari.bkmslf".  It would have all the Clean Slates ON as you have.  Then you'd create another Bookmarkshelf which would be your "Safari Bar.bkmslf" which would have items in its Bookmarks Bar only.  This one would never import, only export, with Clean Slate OFF.  Workflow would be something like this:
  • Activate DeliciousToSafari.
  • Import.  (Clean Slate is ON)
  • If there are new items you want moved into Bookmarks Bar, move them into the Bookmarks Bar of the other document, SafariBar.
  • Export.  (Clean Slate is ON)
  • Activate SafariBar.
  • Export.  (Clean Slate is OFF)
I believe this will do what you want, except that items you deleted in the Bookmarks Bar in SafariBar.bkmslf would not be deleted in Safari's Bar.  The Activate, Import and Export steps can be scripted.  Import and Export can be scripted by setting up triggerless Agents and telling them to 'perform' via AppleScript.

Now if you would instead do your deletions in BookMacster instead Delicious, then you wouldn't need the Clean Slate on Import, and then you'd only need one Bookmarkshelf.  That would be a more normal usage for which BookMacster was designed:
  • Import new bookmarks from Clients
  • Sort, Move, Change, Delete, Verify, etc. in BookMacster
  • Export final result to Clients
Regarding tags in Safari, remember that BookMacster keeps the tags.

But I probably have not appreciated all the nuances of what you want, so that's enough for now.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Davide
Sync btw specific folders
Jun 17th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Interesting challenge: I found myself fighting all day long in order to find a way to successfully sync my Delicious and Safari bookmarks, so that:

1 - Being Delicious the source client, when I import bookmarks from there, new bookmarks get added to my Bkmlsf, edited bookmarks get modified, deleted bookmarks get deleted ("Clean Slate" mode).

2 - I want to import bookmarks to a specific folder within my Bkmlsf, say "Bookmarks Menu", while making sure the import process does not touch other folders, such as "Bookmarks Bar". So it would be a "Clean Slate" mode import, but limited to a single hard folder.

2 - When I export my bookmarks to Safari, they must be placed into their relevant folders, that is:

Bkmlsf "Bookmarks Menu" > Safari "Bookmarks Menu"
Bkmlsf "Bookmarks Bar" > Safari "Bookmarks Bar"

This export process should be in "Clean Slate" mode too.

The idea is that I want to automatically sync Bkmlsf's and Safari's "Bookmarks Menu" folders (keeping delicious as my primary editor), while manually managing, within BookMacster, a "Bookmarks Bar" folder that is aimed to be exported as Safari's Bookmarks Bar. This is because Delicious does not support folders, while Safari does not support tags (sadly).

Any clues?

Thanks!

PS: I have attached a screenshot of my current settings for BookMacster's clients.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint