Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacster 1.1 -- Coming, but not yet. (Read 17205 times)
FatalError
Ex Member
Re: BookMacster 1.1 -- Coming, but not yet.
Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:54am
Print Post  
"It just works a whole lot better now." Jerry, this is absolutely true. It seems BM is slowly moving in the direction I always hoped it would. (meaning making it easy for idiots like myself to sync their bookmarks. Thanks for making it work - finally)

IP Logged

F451
Reply #13 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Certainly enjoying beta v1.1.18. Thanks for all your hard work!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster 1.1 -- Pretty Much Done.
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
BookMacster 1.1 is pretty much done, well, until someone finds a major bug.� Download link:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip

It will now open Bookmarkshelf documents from any prior version of BookMacster.� It's kind of hard to summarize the changes.� Although the emphasis was on
  • Improved user interface
  • Reducing the slope of the learning curve for new users
  • Syncing bookmarks across multiple Macs via Dropbox
we also ended up fixing a whole lot of bugs and adding a dozen or so small feature requests.� It just works a whole lot better now.� Detailed Version History:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/HelpBook/SSYMH.06.03.html

We'll make it a general release after we update the Help Book and also clean up a couple performance issues (which are also present in version 1.0.x)
  • Bookmarkshelf window can take a long time to open
  • Deleting a large number of bookmarks can take a long time
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #11 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:22am
Print Post  
tom_p wrote on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 11:26pm:
Any ETA on 1.1? Feature I'd really like is sync across multiple Macs. Thx.
Although these things are difficult to predict, my estimate is: before the end of the month.� (I learned that from Apple.)� Syncing across multiple Macs is already in there; now we just have to (1) get everything else working again and (2) because the data storage format is different, build in the "store migration" code which will automatically update the Bookmarkshelf documents of existing users.  Because it can't really be started until everything else is complete, the time to complete item (2) is the prime contributor to the uncertainty of ETA.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

tom_p
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Any ETA on 1.1? Feature I'd really like is sync across multiple Macs. Thx.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
thankful wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:04pm:
Many thanks for the heads up that you intend to limit your program to one bookshelf.� I was planning to invest in BookMacster, but I use different browsers for different purposes.� Therefore, limiting the program to 1 bookshelf is of no use to me.� I will be giving your software a pass.
Well, actually, for various reasons, after much wrangling, a few days ago, we decided against this change.� BookMacster will continue to be document-based, and support multiple documents, or as we call them, Bookmarkshelves.�

We did seriously consider Leo's suggestion of forking BookMacster into two apps, but decided against that too, because in my opinion, it just moves the problem � new users landing at our site would need to read about the two apps (actually, three including Bookdog) and then try to predict what they want before they've experienced it.  And then there's all the extra logistics of another app.

Instead, we are implementing other ways of presenting a simple setup to new users, while gradually revealing the complexity to those who need it.  We believe you'll enjoy it.  Thanks to all for the feedback on this.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

thankful
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Many thanks for the heads up that you intend to limit your program to one bookshelf.� I was planning to invest in BookMacster, but I use different browsers for different purposes.� Therefore, limiting the program to 1 bookshelf is of no use to me.� I will be giving your software a pass.

IP Logged

ockendoner
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Also just dabbling with BookMacster myself. But so far, having separate bookshelves means I can save different configurations and workflows without the risk of losing everything, as is easily done with a new and unfamiliar program. So that would be a yes vote for separate bookshelves. A year down the road will I still need it? Hard to say...

My tuppence worth, from a complete novice...

IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I've only dabbled with BookMacster�really diving into it is one of those things I'm going to do Real Soon Now.

I have a big old file of BookDog bookmarks that I really need to update, plus multiple browsers on multiple machines, each with its more or less random assortment of newer bookmarks. Yet I seem to be fighting the idea of combining everything into one file, because that file might be huge and slow and unwieldy and a pain to keep synced. It's a mess, and I frankly don't know what the best solution is.

Multiple bookmark files sounds like a good idea, but I don't have enough experience with BookMacster to really judge.
</incoherent rambling>

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:30am:
?ô wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:32am:
I'd like to see an improved syncing behaviour a lot over having several bookmark-shelfes. I only use one and as Mark wrote it would be great if BM could update all browsers automatically as soon as any changes (delted, new, changed bookmarks) have been noted in any browser.

cheers & good luck with 1.1 any news on a beta?

FE
Working hard on it.� There are bug fixes in the "syncing" also, so that Import and Export results are much more consistent, with less "dithering" in corner cases.

So far, Leo is the only one to be using multiple Bookmarkshelves.  Thinking about how to support his usage.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I'd like to see an improved syncing behaviour a lot over having several bookmark-shelfes. I only use one and as Mark wrote it would be great if BM could update all browsers automatically as soon as any changes (delted, new, changed bookmarks) have been noted in any browser.

cheers & good luck with 1.1 any news on a beta?

FE

IP Logged

Leo of BORG
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I hate to be a buzzkill, but I use the separate shelves per browser model. I'm one of those odd birds who uses different browsers for different things.

It's much more important to me to have these docs in a Dropbox and be able to have the same sets of Bookmarks per Browser between a couple machines machines, and to have these (separate) shelves sync, without Agent (so that I can cull Bookmarks 'manually').

Sometimes I do want to open certain Bookmarks in another browser, but I have existing tools for that:

* Highbrow - sets the default browser to the last session opened.

* AllBookmarks - From the 1Password folks, free, allows me to search all my local bookmarks and then open them in the last browser as above.

As you can see, I'm more browser centric than bookmark centric.

I like BookMacster the way it is: Flexible: if you're willing to read the documentation, you can shape it into a tool that suits your workflow, like;

1/ One file all browsers

2/ One file PER browser (the model I use)

Repeat the above with Agents or not.

How hard is that to understand?

Okay, MAYBE things need to be simplified, but maybe this is a UI / Documentation issue. I'm not a big fan of oversimplification or turning Apps into iTunes. The user is ONLY going to be 'guided' for a very short time, and then run into limitations that will force them to look for another product.

That is what brought me to BookDog, and later BookMacster in the first place.

To me, changing major App functionality will change the App. It's not a 1.1 thing, but maybe a 2.0 thing or another App altogether.

Just my 2 yen. Keep the change...

-Leo

IP Logged

Mark
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
In theory, separate bookshelves makes sense; however I usually go to the same sites regardless:  Some simply perform better when using Chrome, others make use of Firefox extensions, and Safari is great for accessing bookmarks quickly.

So I vote for a single bookshelf that can be shared amongst Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, OmniWeb and DevonAgent.

Great default behaviour, under the circumstances then, would be automatic synchronization upon closing any one browser when a bookmark (or bookmarklet) has been added or removed.  Or where the Address of the bookmark has changed but not the bookmark name.

Looking forward to seeing what you produce.

Mark   Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster 1.1 -- Limit to One Bookmarkshelf ?!?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 10:02am
Print Post  
BookMacster currently supports multiple Bookmarkshelf documents.� This design choice was made in order to provide a seamless replacement for Bookdog users who might want to continue managing bookmarks from different browser/clients (Safari, Firefox, Chrome etc.) separately.� (In the documentation this is called Usage Style 1.)� However in recalling hundreds of support cases, both in our private support correspondence and on this Forum, we've not seen anyone use separate, multiple Bookmarkshelf documents (although a few have mis-used them).� 100% of users seem to have their bookmarks combined into a single Bookmarkshelf.

Oh, well!� Of course, we're now considering eliminating support for multiple Bookmarkshelf documents, because it will make BookMacster simpler.� BookMacster would be like iTunes or iPhoto.� You'd have a single "bookmarks library".� You would define a single set of Clients, and a single set of Agents.� Bookmarks will still be stored in a file which you could locate in any location � including your Dropbox folder, your iDisk, or the current default location which is ~/Library/Application Support/BookMacster.� But only one such file will be supported.� The File menu would no longer have a New Bookmarkshelf or Save As menu item, although we'll probably keep Save, Close and Save As Move, and the Bookmarkshelf Document will remain, at least initially, but it will be "under the hood".

For current users, the first Bookmarkshelf which you'd open after updating to BookMacster 1.1 would be automatically converted into your "bookmarks library".

We'd like a reply here from anyone that we've missed, who has a use for multiple Bookmarkshelf documents.� Soon (before it's too late)� Smiley

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2010 at 11:11am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
BookMacster 1.1 -- Coming, but not yet.
Jun 21st, 2010 at 7:34am
Print Post  
It made sense to roll quite a few issues and improvements into BookMacster 1.1.  We will make a beta available soon, but it won't be two days ago as promised.  Sorry to those who were expecting it sooner.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint