Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) simple sync (Read 7237 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: simple sync
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:17am:
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 1:33am:
1. If I add/delete a bookmark in Safari, is there something I need to do to have the bookmark synced?

Assuming BookMacster is so configured, all you have to do is wait a few minutes.

Most of the configuration I'm about to describe should have been done during the initial installation with the New Bookmarkshelf wizard.  But since I'm not sure where you're at with this, let's check everything…

• Launch BookMacster.
• Open your Bookmarkshelf if its does not open.
• Click the tab SettingsClients.
• Make sure that Safari is a client, with Import and Export switched on.
• If the bookmarks content you now want is in Safari, execute an Import by clicking in the menu BookmarkshelfImport.  If the bookmarks content you now want are is in BookMacster, skip to next step.
• Execute an Export by clicking in the menu BookmarkshelfExport.

At this point, everything is in sync.  Now, we'll add an Agent to keep everything in sync automatically.  To be sure, we'll re-add it…

• Click the tab SettingsAgentsSimple.
• Switch OFF any boxes that are checked on.
• Switch (back) ON the first three boxes on the left.

I just added a bookmark to a folder in Safari using the Safari menu "Bookmarks", "Add Bookmark..." I picked the folder, added the bookmark. It's there, but not synced. I just looked, still not synced. Is there some setting I need to turn on, to get the bookmarks I add to sync?

It depends where it's "not synced" to.

Syncing to other browsers is BookMacster's job.  If it's not synced to your other browsers, set everything up as described above, and your bookmark should be synced to Chrome or Firefox in 7 minutes.  For other browsers, it will take 7 minutes or until they quit, whichever is longer.

Syncing to iCloud is Apple's job.  For it to work, you must switch on iCloud bookmarks syncing.  To do that,

• Click in the menu  ▸ System Preferences.
• Find the row Internet & Wireless.
• Click iCloud.
• Switch ON the box Bookmarks.
• For every iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) that you want synced, follow the next 3 steps.
• On the iOS device, touch the Settings app.
• Click iCloud.
• Wait a while.  It takes Apple about 5 minutes per thousand bookmarks for the initial sync to iCloud on a typical DSL connection.  On your Mac, they don't give you any indication that sync is in progress.  On your iOS device, if you click BookmarksEdit, you'll see a progress spinner near the top left of the display, and if you try to edit a bookmark before syncing is done, it will tell you that you can't because syncing is in progress.

Remember that iCloud is new and may still have some bugs.  When I tried to sync 1600 bookmarks into a couple of iPod Touch devices at an Apple store last week, the sales associate and I gave up after watching them grind away for 25 minutes.  But it completed in just a couple minutes on iPads.  Also, it worked fine on the Touch when we only had a few bookmarks.

I can't figure out if I can add bookmarks in Safari, or I need to do it in BookMacster. Does it matter?

Either, and it does matter.

• After configuring BookMacster and iCloud as described above, bookmarks added in Safari will sync to iCloud after a few minutes.

• Although it is not normal usage to add a bookmark in BookMacster, if you do so,  with Clients and Agents configured as described above, it will appear in Safari, and later, in iCloud, after you click in the menu BookmarkshelfExport (Safari).

3. How do I get the bookmarks to sync to iCloud? Is there something I need to turn on?

Yes, iCloud Bookmarks syncing as described above.

Look. I'm not trying to whine. But this is hard to use. If I'm not your target customer, fine. But I'd really like to make this work. I'm handy with the computer, trust me.

I think you are a target customer, but we got you off on the wrong foot a few weeks ago when things didn't work initially.  Thank you for your patience.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:17am
Print Post  
1. If I add/delete a bookmark in Safari, is there something I need to do to have the bookmark synced?

Assuming BookMacster is so configured, all you have to do is wait a few minutes.

Most of the configuration I'm about to describe should have been done during the initial installation with the New Bookmarkshelf wizard.  But since I'm not sure where you're at with this, let's check everything…

• Launch BookMacster.
• Open your Bookmarkshelf if its does not open.
• Click the tab Settings ▸ Clients.
• Make sure that Safari is a client, with Import and Export checked on.
• If the bookmarks content you now want is in Safari, execute an Import by clicking in the menu Bookmarkshelf ▸ Import.  If the bookmarks content you now want are is in BookMacster, skip to next step.
• Execute an Export by clicking in the menu Bookmarkshelf ▸ Export.

At this point, everything is in sync.  Now, we'll add an Agent to keep everything in sync automatically.  To be sure, we'll re-add it…

• Click the tab Settings ▸ Agents ▸ Simple.
• Switch OFF any boxes that are checked on.
• Switch (back) ON the first three boxes on the left.

I just added a bookmark to a folder in Safari using the Safari menu "Bookmarks", "Add Bookmark..." I picked the folder, added the bookmark. It's there, but not synced. I just looked, still not synced. Is there some setting I need to turn on, to get the bookmarks I add to sync?

It depends where it's "not synced" to.

Syncing to other browsers is BookMacster's job.  If it's not synced to your other browsers, set everything up as described above, and your bookmark should be synced to Chrome or Firefox in 7 minutes.  For other browsers, it will take 7 minutes or until they quit, whichever is longer.

Syncing to iCloud is Apple's job.  For it to work, you must switch on iCloud bookmarks syncing.  To do that,

• Click in the menu  ▸ System Preferences.
• Find the row Internet & Wireless.
• Click iCloud.
• Wait a while.  I've found that it takes Apple about 5 minutes per thousand bookmarks for the initial sync to iCloud.  They don't give you much indication, except that on your iOS device, if you click Bookmarks ▸ Edit, you'll see a progress spinner near the top left of the display, and if you try to edit a bookmark before syncing is done, it will tell you that you can't because syncing is in progress.  Remember that iCloud is new and may still have some bugs.  When I tried this at an Apple store last week, we never could get an iPod touch to sync, although it worked fast on an iPad.

I can't figure out if I can add bookmarks in Safari, or I need to do it in BookMacster. Does it matter?

Either, and it does matter.

• After configuring BookMacster and iCloud as described above, bookmarks added in Safari will sync to iCloud after a few minutes.

• Although it is not normal usage to add a bookmark in BookMacster, if you do so,  with Clients and Agents configured as described above, and then click in the menu Bookmarkshelf ▸ Export (Safari), it will appear in Safari and in iCloud

3. How do I get the bookmarks to sync to iCloud? Is there something I need to turn on?

Yes, iCloud Bookmarks syncing as described above.

Look. I'm not trying to whine. But this is hard to use. If I'm not your target customer, fine. But I'd really like to make this work. I'm handy with the computer, trust me.

Thank you for your patience.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 1:33am
Print Post  
I agree. Sorry guys, this thing is hard to use. It's not, for the average power user. I can't understand how anyone but the highly advanced - and motivated - tech person could use it.

OK, I read the help file.

I'm still confused.

All I want to do, is have my bookmarks synced.

Questions:

2. I can't figure out if I can add bookmarks in Safari, or I need to do it in BookMacster. Does it matter?

Thanks,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: simple sync : This thread is outdated
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
This thread refers to an early version of BookMacster.  Do not try and follow the instructions in this thread; BookMacster doesn't work this way any more.

When you launch BookMacster for the first time or create a New Bookmarkshelf, it will ask if you want to read the Help for Getting Started.    Answer "Yes", or later, click in the menu Help ▸ BookMacster Help and read the first page in Section 1.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Erwin Odendaal wrote on Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:36am:
I've used Bookdog for some time. Keeping my browsers in sync was plain and simple. But BookMacster has tons of possibilities. That's nice for some but not so usefull for me because I just want to have all my browsers to have the same bookmarks as Safari. Nothing less, nothing more.
We're working on making it easier.  Alot of stuff needed to be ripped out.

Right now I have for example all my former bookmarks in Chrome (multiple times)+ a set of bookmarks "Imported from Safari". Firefox has all bookmarks multiple times.
Usually this is a result of, during the initial New Bookmarkshelf wizard, Un-checking the box which says "Ignore bookmarks which hit the same web page..."

(By the way, "show advanced settings" is checked and greyed out, so I can not switch to "simple settings". )
In the current version of BookMacster, "simple" is not available if you're managing more than one browser.

Can someone tell me in plain and simple English how I can set up a simple sync?
Starting a New Bookmarkshelf with the default settings should do it...

"Simple Sync" is Usage Style 2

Choose browsers to import...

Same for export.  Just leave default selections.

Leave default settings again in this one...

Change the name if you want, maybe "AllMyBookmarks.bkmslf".  Doesn't matter.

After the import, click the Clients tab.  It should look like this.  Note that, when you are importing from three browsers, the only way to delete a bookmark is to use "Clean Slate" on import", and delete it in all three browsers and then import, or preferably, delete it in BookMacster and then Export.

Import and Export a few times (in the menu click Bookmarkshelf ▸ Import/Export.  After you're satisfied with the results, after a few days, you might want to add an Agent.  For starters, I recommend a simply daily sync.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Erwin Odendaal
simple sync
Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I've used Bookdog for some time. Keeping my browsers in sync was plain and simple. But BookMacster has tons of possibilities. That's nice for some but not so usefull for me because I just want to have all my browsers to have the same bookmarks as Safari. Nothing less, nothing more. And with or without the manual it's absolutely unclear to me how to set things up. Undecided
Right now I have for example all my former bookmarks in Chrome (multiple times)+ a set of bookmarks "Imported from Safari". Firefox has all bookmarks multiple times. A big mess...
Can someone tell me in plain and simple English how I can set up a simple sync?
(By the way, "show advanced settings" is checked and greyed out, so I can not switch to "simple settings". )

Thanx!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint