Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacster User Guide (Read 16474 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster User Guide
Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Yes, just in the past hour I tested Board Notifications myself and found that, while they work fine for me as admin, they don't work if I log in as a test non-admin Member.  I'm digging into the guts now.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Doug in Alaska
Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Notifications don't work for me either.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 9:50am
Print Post  
speaking of forum notifications: those never worked for me as well. Jerry, can you check this? Is it working for you?

IP Logged

Annie
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Dear Jerry,
I downloaded Bookdog again and it's working fine. I'm so happy. Thank you for your encouragement and help with this.
Peace and all good to you.
Annie

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Annie wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:01pm:
Today I decided that I'd download Bookdog again and install it as a new app on my current Mac.  -- it won't let me open my Safari bookmarks in the file menu and when I click on Bookdog help under the Help menu nothing happens.
If you do not see Safari in the submenu, that could be because you have not yet added any bookmarks in Safari on this Mac; therefore Safari has not created a Bookmarks file; in this case Bookdog can't open them and therefore omits Safari from the submenu.  Regarding Help, sometimes Apple Help Viewer takes "an eternity" (tens of seconds) to load and cache Help for a newly-installed app.  However, these problems could also be caused by an incomplete download, or more likely, an incomplete copy after moving the file from the Disk Image to /Applications.  Sounds weird but I've had it happen to me many times.
Annie wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:01pm:
I think I'll keep watching this page and when BookMacster 1.1 is out of Beta I'll try it again.  There must be something in my 10.6.4 that doesn't agree with Bookdog.
OK, but just for the record, thousands of people are using Bookdog in Mac OS 10.6.4.  It definitely works.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Annie
Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Dear Jerry,
Thanks for your prompt answer to my questions yesterday. I didn't use the migration assistant because my old computer was in such bad condition that I was afraid of bringing the problems onto my new Mac.
Today I decided that I'd download Bookdog again and install it as a new app on my current Mac. It opens (I see Bookdog in the menu bar) but it won't do anything -- it won't let me open my Safari bookmarks in the file menu and when I click on Bookdog help under the Help menu nothing happens.
I think I'll keep watching this page and when BookMacster 1.1 is out of Beta I'll try it again. There must be something in my 10.6.4 that doesn't agree with Bookdog.
Thanks for your great user support, Jerry. it really helps to know that live help is available.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Annie wrote on Sep 12th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
What files would I need to transfer to put it on my new computer?
Whenever you get a new Mac, I recommend using the Apple Migration Assistant.  It transfers all your apps, all your documents, all your emails, all your photos, all your music, all your bookmarks, and all your preferences and other data from all your apps, all at once.  You shouldn't need to mess with apps one at a time.

However, if you didn't do that, the two items you would transfer for Bookdog are:

~/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.Bookdog.plist   (a file)
    ~/Library/Application Support/Bookdog   (a folder)

where, as always in Unix, the "~" means "Your home folder".

Bookdog does not store bookmarks, so if you didn't use Apple Migration Assistant or equivalent, you'll need to get each of those files from your browsers manually also.  The locations are explained in Bookdog Help.  Search for "file".  Let me know it you have trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Annie
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Dear Jerry,
I was feeling sad because I didn't think anyone had replied to my question about the User Manual (I never got the notification I signed up for). I decided to check the site today to see if there was any other help available and found your quick reply posted shortly after my original posting. Thank you.
I noticed from reading other posts that Bookdog can be used with OS 10.6.4. Bookdog is on my old computer. What files would I need to transfer to put it on my new computer? I'm thinking that if I do this and then change over to BookMacster when it's developed a little further the transition might be easier for me.
Thanks for you help, Jerry.
Peace and all good to you.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
F451 wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 5:06am:
Big thanks! Dropbox...yummy!
Yes, but like it says in the warning when you launch it, the new Dropbox sync has not been fully tested yet.  In particular, there was one situation where the BookMacsterizer bookmarklet would be duplicated with each Dropbox sync.  Hope to look at that later today.

F451, you mentioned a few months ago that your spouse found it odd that that changing some settings made the document have unsaved changes.  That no longer happens, for settings in Settings[i]Open/Save[/i], Clients, or Agents.  That's because these are now "Local Settings", stored immediately in Application Support and not in the document.  Besides clearing the oddity, this was also necessary for Dropbox support, since we felt that many users would want these settings to be different on different Macs.  But this means that when you (or Dropbox) copies a .bkmslf document over to another Mac for the first time, these settings are empty and you must re-set them manually.  But we believe that's not a big deal, thanks to the new Simple interfaces.

OK, enough.  We got stuff to do.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

F451
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 5:06am
Print Post  
Big thanks! Dropbox...yummy!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster 1.1 (for new users)
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Annie, in this business, if a user needs to use the Help Book in order to get started, it means that we have failed to make the app easy enough to use.  I would add that if a user wants to print a Help Book, it means that we have really failed.

We've been working on that failure for the last few months and have now produced BookMacster 1.1 (beta) we believe resolves this issue.  Please trash the version of BookMacster which you have, download and install BookMacster 1.1 from our beta update link,

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip

Upon running BookMacster 1.1 it will probably try to open a Bookmarkshelf document which you created with BookMacster 1.0, and inform you that it failed in an Error dialog.  That's expected (until we finish the beta).  Just click "OK" and forget it.  To repeat, for other readers, at this time BookMacster 1.1.x (beta) will not open Bookmarkshelf documents created with BookMacster 1.0.x.  So, if you've been using BookMacster 1.0.x and are reasonably happy with it, just wait until BookMacster 1.1.x shows up in Check for Update.

If you'd like BookMacster to immediately do everything which Bookdog did for you, in the menu clidk BookMacsterImport From Bookdog….  If you'd rather start over from scratch, click FileNew Bookmarkshelf.

Now, regarding printing that Help Book, first of all, as you'll be warned when launching BookMacster 1.1, the Help Book is currently obsolete and is due for a major rewrite soon, so printing it at this time may not be fruitful.  Second, BookMacster Help uses the Apple Help Viewer format, and although Apple Help Viewer does have a Print command, as you noted it only prints one page at a time.  I'm not sure about repeatedly printing pages, but I just made a note to look at that when we rewrite it.  Anyhow, like the Help Books for Apple's applications such as Safari, BookMacster Help is not really designed to be printed.  A good Apple Help Book in a well-crafted app is used only on occasion, when you need advanced behavior information or want to use and advanced feature.

That being said, BookMacster 1.1 is still beta, so please post any feedback or questions on how to use it here.  This forum is also available from within BookMacster.  Click in the menu HelpVisit Forum...

Finally, in BookMacster 1.1, in Preferences, there is a new Updates tab in which you can set BookMacster's Check for Update feature to automatically download subsequent Beta "Early Adopter" versions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Hello Annie,

I'm working on a better answer for this and will post it tonight.  Please visit here tomorrow.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Annie
BookMacster User Guide
Aug 28th, 2010 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I want to print the entire user guide so I can read it straight through and understand the software and how to use. Is there a way to do this? I've tried to click on the links on the BookMaster Help page and print each link out one at a time to compile them but the numbers aren't sequential and some parts are being printed more than once.
Thank you for your help with this. I loved Bookdog and am hoping to love BookMacster too but I'm terribly confused right now. (The Bookdog grad part didn't help).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint