Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Missing files (?) fail silently (Read 12430 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Missing files (?) fail silently
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Regarding the "Structure has been changed to better serve clients…" oddity:

We decided to keep the automatic adjustment of Structure when Clients are changed, but found that in the previous version it was adjusting even if the user had not touched the Clients.  So it would keep trying to adjust forever, whenever you closed the document, until you relented and allowed the document to be saved with the adjustment.  That has now been corrected in BookMacster 1.1.21.  It will only adjust Structure if you have actually changed a Client in the current session.

BookMacster 1.1.21 is now available to anyone using the beta version 1.1.x.  If you don't get it when you click Check for Update, then in the menu click PreferencesUpdates and make sure that the Beta box is checked.

If you are still using BookMacster 1.0.x, the new PreferencesUpdates feature is not available.  In that case you may download it manually from here:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Posts regarding the new Preferences Updates feature not being visible in Alaska have been split off into a new thread.

"Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic."

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Rob Lewis wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:59pm:
I noticed another oddity: Using 1.1.19, I open another old file (attached), which seems to be empty… The red close button has the dot in the middle, meaning the file has unsaved changes, right?
Yes.

I understand this if it's because the new version has to update the structure of the old file while reading it.
Well, it's actually not required, but in this version, it does.  We've had some back and forth on that.

But if I then click the close button, I get the dialog asking me if I want to save… … Not a huge deal, but odd.
Yes, we've been needing to put some more thought into this.  Thanks for providing a concise description and attaching the sample file.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
That seems to have done the trick, thanks!

I noticed another oddity: Using 1.1.19, I open another old file (attached), which seems to be empty. The red close button has the dot in the middle, meaning the file has unsaved changes, right? I understand this if it's because the new version has to update the structure of the old file while reading it.
But if I then click the close button, I get the dialog asking me if I want to save. I click "don't save" and basically nothing happens (though the window footer now says "Structure has been changed to better serve clients. (Items Allowed in Root:)"
I click "close" and "don't save" a second time, and this time the window closes.
Not a huge deal, but odd.

-robbo-Safari.bkmslf ( 82 KB | 354 Downloads )

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2010 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I mean an update to fix the bug, which turned out to be quite a bugger.  Anyhow, it is apparently fixed in our new version, BookMacster 1.1.19.  Anyhow, 1.1.19 definitely opens the two files we got in Rob's package.

To get version 1.1.19, launch BookMacster and in the menu click BookMacsterCheck for Update.  If that doesn't find 1.1.19, then check your Preferences in the Updates tab and make sure you've got the "Beta" option checked ON.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Jerry. Not quite sure what you mean by "an update": an actual updated version of BookMacster, or an update on the status of the issue?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Thanks, Rob.  We got the data and reproduced the problem.  It's a bug which can affect opening Bookmarkshelf documents produced by old versions of BookMacster.  It's kind of involved, though, so we won't have an update until tomorrow.

Yes, that Trouble Zipper script started a few years ago as a quick hack to pick up bookmarks files from a novice user, but now it's such a great tattle-tale that our apps can't hide any misbehaviors from us.  Definitely pushing the envelope of AppleScript, so that if it didn't work so damned good, it would be fun to rewrite it as a "real" app.  Too many actual issues to work on, though.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Re-downloaded giving it plenty of time—same story.
Trouble package attached (that's a pretty slick little script you've got there!)
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010 at 4:43pm by Rob Lewis »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Hello Rob,

Such a silent failure is not by design.  And it must have found the file; otherwise it could not have been "Processing" it.  But since the windows don't open, maybe when the BookMacster update was copied, the resource file needed to create the window got left behind.  I've seen it happen.  Your Console Log would have a message something like "Couldn't load nib Bkmslf.nib".  In that case, the solution is to redownload and, when copying, make sure to wait until it finishes.

If that's not the problem, or if you'd rather have us check it out, when you have a few minutes please send me the results from our Trouble Zipper.  To do this, in BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.  It takes a few seconds to download.  Bookmarks files probably won't be useful in this case, but do answer affirmatively to Question F, if it finds any Bookmarkshelf files.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Missing files (?) fail silently
Sep 20th, 2010 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Just installed 1.1.18 and tried to open each of the four items in my "Open Recent" dialog. For each of them I get the little "Processing" window and then…nothing.

Memory is hazy (it's been a while) and offhand I can't now manually locate these files, but in any case BM should give some kind of "file not found" message, if indeed that's the problem.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint