Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Something's broken (Read 4481 times)
FatalError
Ex Member
Re: Something's broken
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:52am
Print Post  
BookMacster is evolving great, Mark. And I say this as a user who was totally frustrated with 1.0.x. It never worked for me. But the latest releases all did. And they are getting better with every version. Now we got could syncing. Just give it a shot. And Jerry has been very helpful with any issues that occured.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Something's broken
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Mark wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:43am:
I gave up on everything until you released 1.1 and just worked with Safari.  It *seemed* ok.

I installed 1.1.23.

It didn't wipe out my Safari bookmarks, but it might as well have.  It decided I didn't need a Menu bar, and removed it.
Hello, Mark.  I don't think you mean the menu bar, which is the bar along the top of your screen in any app.  BookMacster can't touch that.  I can't imagine that Safari would lose its Bookmarks Bar or Bookmarks Menu either, so I'm confused.  Even if BookMacster deleted the Bookmarks Bar or Bookmarks Menu from Safari's bookmarks file, Safari would immediately make a new one.  Let's go on, though.

I have all of my bookmarks, however, they're now in a state that are pretty much useless.
I'd need some more description to tell how that happened and what we could do about it.  Imports can always be undone by clicking "Undo" or simply closing the Bookmarkshelf without saving.  Exports are more difficult – you need to have a Time Machine or similar backup file, but if you do it's not difficult and we can walk you through it.

I'm going to try to import from Firefox or Chrome.
OK.  Consider starting over with a new Bookmarkshelf.  If anything bad happens consider sending us some data.  To do that, click in BookMacster's menu HelpTrouble Zipper.  It will run a little script to zip up a package of data for you to send to us, so we can reproduce the problem.

BookDog worked.  Have you considered reviving it?
No, because Bookdog is still alive, still works and is still available, and our intention is to update it if changes in the Mac OS or browser apps break it, so that it keeps doing what it does, as long as we can.

I can see I'm not alone here, having problems.
Well, you know, I don't see many software forums that are full of people writing in to say how great things are going.   Wink  This is where people come for help.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2010 at 4:34pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mark
Something's broken
Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:43am
Print Post  
I was an early adapter and switched from Bookdog when the first version came out.

Initially, I tried to sync Safari, Firefox and Chrome - but, as we know, that didn't work.  I gave up on everything until you released 1.1 and just worked with Safari.  It *seemed* ok.

I installed 1.1.23.

It didn't wipe out my Safari bookmarks, but it might as well have.
It decided I didn't need a Menu bar, and removed it.
I have all of my bookmarks, however, they're now in a state that are pretty much useless.

I'm going to try to import from Firefox or Chrome.

BookDog worked.  Have you considered reviving it?
I can see I'm not alone here, having problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint