Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bookmark structure, and non-cloud syncing? (Read 6465 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Bookmark structure, and non-cloud syncing?
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the feedback, Dan.

Let's talk about replacing URL Manager Pro over on this thread:

http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1287337117/0#1

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dan ODonnell
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I too am migrating from URLMP and BookMacster looks like a good replacement. (I like the multi-user function, and the sync through cloud.) There is a URLMP user forum with a small number of users who are all waiting with anxiety and frustration for a replacement - which has been promised but to date really looks like vaporware.

AIM  
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
One other thing I forgot to mention, in order to get only manually-initiated syncs, after creating a new Bookmarkshelf document, click tab SettingsOpen/Save and un-check all the do automatically boxes.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
mbruns@nasw.org wrote on Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:58pm:
1. My book marks are arranged in  an extensive, tightly organized, nesting file structure, which must not  be messed with in any way. (The directory run between 1-4 levels).
BookMacster does not move things around unless you tell it to.  Structure is hierarchical with unlimited levels.  As far as messing with, I don't think so but possibly I don't understand, because that would be quite odd behavior for any app to do that.  You might want to give an example.

Will BookMacster be able to import my Bookmark file as is from URL Manager, and  LEAVE THE STRUCTURE ALONE  alone unless I alter it, manually, myself?
At this time, the only way to sync from URL Manager Pro would be to export to a web browser and then import from the browser.  This would likely not be seamless, although using Camino or Firefox might come very close.  One of the things we need to do real soon is implement XBEL or HTML import/export capability.  It should be a fairly easy task, and would enable people to import XBEL or HTML files exported by URL Manager Pro.  Check back here in a few days.  I wonder how many people are still using URL Manager Pro, though.  Last time I checked, URL Manager Pro was not supporting Google Chrome and not even Firefox 3.  Did they ever fix that?

2. I often sync my browsers with no wireless available, and want to continue to be able to  sync my bookmarks manually whenever I choose.  Will I still be able to sync without wireless?
Yes, unlike those guys who sync your bookmarks through their server in the cloud, BookMacster is like URL Manager Pro in that it syncs local browsers locally.  It does not go through the cloud unless you're syncing different Macs in different locations.  If you want to always initiate syncs manually, just don't create any Agents.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

mbruns
Ex Member
Bookmark structure, and non-cloud syncing?
Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I have two deal-breakers I need addressed, before making the switch from URLManPro-perhaps someone else has these same questions?

1. My book marks are arranged in  an extensive, tightly organized, nesting file structure, which must not  be messed with in any way. (The directory run between 1-4 levels).

Will BookMacster be able to import my Bookmark file as is from URL Manager, and  LEAVE THE STRUCTURE ALONE  alone unless I alter it, manually, myself?

2. I often sync my browsers with no wireless available, and want to continue to be able to  sync my bookmarks manually whenever I choose.

Will I still be able to sync without wireless?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint