Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacsterize (Read 9840 times)
chrislong
Re: BookMacsterize
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Yes, your method to add the the BookMacsterize bookmarklet worked fine.

I agree with your correspondent about URLMP. For me the best way in URLMP is to click on the equivalent of the BookMacster status in the menu bar. This shows the list of folders, or 'soft' folders in BM. If you then mouse down to the folder required, in URLMP there is an option under each folder heading to 'add bookmark'. So you can add the current URL to any folder directly (2 clicks?). I much prefer folders to tags, but that's another matter (thread) that I could go on about!!!

Answering your last question, I do keep bookmarks in my browser. I use this approach to keep bookmarks for temporary storage perhaps for something I am researching,  Say I am looking for reviews of a camera, then I would put all the URLs in the browser bookmarks. These are not URLs I want to keep permanently, because one I have bought the camera I do not want them and so delete them. I use URLMP for permanent bookmarks - ones I will go back to time after time.

Of course this is just me and I have no idea what others do.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:45am
Print Post  
chrislong wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:58am:
I did not notice the bit in the manual which says you have to export back to get the bookmarklet to appear. However I am using BM like URL, so I never export. So how do I get a bookmarklet in the browser?
Yeah, as I was writing that reply to you I was asking myself the same question.  We tell you that if you are intending to use BookMacster like URL Manager Pro (what we call Usage Style 3), then you never export.  But exporting is the only way to get the BookMacsterize bookmarklet into your browser.  We need to fix that.  In the meantime, it appears that you need to break the rule and export once.  However, if you do this from a bookmarkshelf which has all your bookmarks in it, this will export all of your bookmarks to, say, Firefox.  Personally, I wouldn't like that since if I'm not exporting regularly, these will quickly become stale and will be a distraction.  I would want the BookMacsterize bookmarklet to be my only bookmark in Firefox.  To get that,
  • Click in menu Bookmarkshelf ▸ Delete All Content
  • Select the Bookmarks Bar in the Content Outline.
  • Click the [+] button on the right of the Content
  • Select BookMacsterize to add the BookMacsterize bookmarklet
  • Verify that BookMacsterize bookmarklet appears in Bookmarks Bar
  • In menu click File ▸ Quick Export ▸ Firefox.  Note that the Quick Export does not delete any existing items in Firefox.  If you want to do that, add Firefox temporarily as a Client (Settings ▸ Clients) and do a regular Export.
  • Verify that, in Firefox, the BookMacsterize bookmarklet has appeared.
  • In BookMacster, click Undo to remove the BookMacsterize bookmarklet.
  • Click Undo again to bring all of your bookmarks back.
A variation of this would export some bookmarks, or if you wanted to keep some bookmarks in Firefox, you could make another Bookmarkshelf to reflect those.

chrislong wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:58am:
If this is not possible then presumably drag & drop is the only way to add bookmarks to the shelf, but then their seems no way to get the inspector to auto appear. Of course drag & drop is not very convenient since both the browser and BM's windows have to both be visible at the same time. Are there any other ways of adding individual bookmarks from a browser? Section 1.3 only discusses BookMacsterize and does not even mention drag & drop?
Well, drag and drop works, but as you have pointed out, it's hell, which is why Section 1.3 doesn't mention it.

I believe we should be able to add a button for adding a bookmark to Safari, Chrome and possibly Firefox by writing extensions to these apps, and that most people would like this better than the bookmarklet.  But we started out with the bookmarklet because it has the advantage of working reliably in any browser.

A couple days ago I received some feedback privately from a user that counted something like four clicks to add a bookmark to BookMacsterizer but only one click in URL Manager Pro.  I need to review that and get us down to one click or whatever.

So I can better fix this, and out of curiousity, please tell me: As a URL Manager Pro user, do you have any bookmarks in your browsers' built-in Bookmarks Managers, or do you leave those empty?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chrislong
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I did not notice the bit in the manual which says you have to export back to get the bookmarklet to appear. However I am using BM like URL, so I never export. So how do I get a bookmarklet in the browser? If this is not possible then presumably drag & drop is the only way to add bookmarks to the shelf, but then their seems no way to get the inspector to auto appear. Of course drag & drop is not very convenient since both the browser and BM's windows have to both be visible at the same time. Are there any other ways of adding individual bookmarks from a browser? Section 1.3 only discusses BookMacsterize and does not even mention drag & drop?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Just one more thing, Chris.  After you have imported, and are satisfied that the bookmarks you see in the Content of your Bookmarkshelf are what you want in Firefox and Safari, click in the menu Bookmarkshelf ▸ Export.  Your bookmarks, including the BookMacsterize bookmarklet, will be exported to Firefox and Safari.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chrislong
Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I still do not understand this. I have created a Bookmarkshelf file with bookmarks imported from Firefox & Safari. So these are both Clients (see screenshot).

In the Contents Window I select the Bookmarks bar and hit the '+' button on the top right. A BookMacsterize entry has been added under the 'Bookmarks Bar' entry in Contents, but there is nothing in the bookmarks bar of either Safari or Firefox?

settings.png ( 57 KB | 352 Downloads )
settings.png

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Ah, indeed I see that if a New Bookmarkshelf is created with no Clients, the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet is not added automatically.  We'll fix that for the next update.

Thanks for the report!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I'll check and see that the BookMacsterize bookmarklet is being added.

Anyhow, it's easy to re-make one.  Click to the Content tab and hit the "+" button on the right near the top.

BookMacsterizeAdd.png ( 38 KB | 301 Downloads )
BookMacsterizeAdd.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chrislong
BookMacsterize
Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I have tried what it says in the Help file i.e. "By default, the BookMacsterize bookmarklet is placed at the end of the Bookmarks Bar/Toolbar/Favorites, but you may move it to wherever you wish, or you may delete it if you don’t want to use this feature.  You can restore a missing or broken BookMacsterize bookmarklet by selecting its menu item under the + button in the top-right corner of the Main Content View." 

But no bookmarklet appears at the end of the bookmarks bar or anywhere else as far as I can see in either Firefox or Safari. Can anyone help?

A BookMacsterize bookmark does appear in my bookshelf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint