Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why the need to quit firefox? (Read 6704 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Why the need to quit firefox?
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 9:22pm
Print Post  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2011 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Like I said, Chrome would be first.  BookMacster 1.3.13, which can export to Chrome without quitting Chrome, is now available on the beta channel.  It has other bug fixes too, and, we hope, not too many new ones.  Any bug reports would be appreciated.

To get BookMacster 1.1.13, if you already have BookMacster, launch it and click in the menu Preferences ▸ Updates, check the Beta (early adopter) box, then go back out to the menu and Check for Update.

If you don't already have BookMacster, download the beta from here:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/beta/BookMacster.zip

Thank you,

Jerry Krinock

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

geoffb
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response, on a holiday no less!

I hadn't noticed the need to quit the other browsers as well, so I was thinking there might be some Firefox-specific issue. (I've usually got Firefox and Safari running... I tend to launch Chrome or Opera, use them briefly, then exit.)

I'm pretty sure you're right about IPC from a Firefox extension. The only way I know offhand to do it without including a native XPCOM component in you extension  would be to have an internal HTTP server in your app, bind it to a loopback address, and use HTTP locally. (That would probably actually work for a Chrome extension too.) I'm not sure whether the reduced burden in terms of extension maintenance would pay for the extra work you'd have to do to marshal everything over HTTP. cocoahttpserver and json-framework might be easy enough to use to make that so.

Thanks again for sharing the details and progress. I'm looking forward to trying it. And should you want external testing at some point, feel free to drop me a line. My browser profiles are well-backed up and easily restored, and I'm good at breaking things.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
The short answer is: Yes and yes.

Longer answer:  Ideally, BookMacster should be able to Import and Export to browser Clients whether the browser is running or not, but a completely different mechanism is required for these two cases. 

Browser is not running.  Overwrite File.  Completely overwrite all items in the file(s) in which the bookmarks are stored.  This works for any browser, because all data must ultimately be stored on the hard disk in a file.

Browser is running.  Use Browser's API.  Determine what items need to be added, updated, or deleted, and tell the browser to make the changes via an extension to a bookmarks API.  This mechanism is, obviously, only possible if the browser provides the API.  Firefox, Chrome and possibly now Opera provide this API.

Since you need to start somewhere, we started with Overwrite FileUse Browser's API is now in development and will be released, as we always say, "soon", in an update.  It will come first for Chrome, because their API appeared to be more, shall we say, "approachable".  In the case of Chrome, and I suspect we may find the same for Firefox, it requires not only an extension but also a plugin, because the extension API does not support interprocess communication.  We have the bookmarks change detection, Chrome extension, and Chrome plugin working now.  The next step is writing code to maintain the installation of this extension and plugin, and then test, test, test.

I didn't mention Safari, which is a whole different animal based on Apple's Sync Services.

Anyhow, thank you for the question.  It's good to know that all this hard work will be appreciated.   Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

geoffb
Why the need to quit firefox?
Nov 25th, 2010 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Alternate subject: Feature request: import and export Firefox bookmarks without quitting Firefox

Can you explain what the issue is with reading the Firefox bookmarks while the application is running? Where are you expecting to read them from?

This feels like something a small firefox extension could fix Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint