Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Crash: During Duplicate Removal (Read 14628 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Crash: During Duplicate Removal
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
BookMacster 1.3.19 alpha has now been published, which has the new crash-proof Delete All Duplicates code built into it.

http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1302383847/0#

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dave Burbank
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 6:03am:
OK, here is a little app for anyone who can't delete all the duplicates because there are so many that the current version of BookMacster (1.3.18) crashes...

Worked like a charm! Thank You.

IP Logged

Dave Burbank
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Mar 19th, 2011 at 6:03am:
OK, here is a little app for anyone who can't delete all the duplicates because there are so many that the current version of BookMacster (1.3.18) crashes...

Thanks! Downloading now.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 6:03am
Print Post  
OK, here is a little app for anyone who can't delete all the duplicates because there are so many that the current version of BookMacster (1.3.18) crashes:
  • If the problem .bkmslf file is open in BookMacster, close it.
  • Click this link to download the app:
    http://sheepsystems.com/files/ForumMsgRefs/BookMacsterDupeDeleter.app.zip
  • Doubleclick it to unzip if your browser doesn't unzip automatically.
  • Doubleclick the app which appears.
  • When prompted, select the problem .bkmslf file.
  • After it finishes, re-open the .bkmslf in BookMacster.  All dupes will be gone.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Well, the tool is done, but I forgot how long it takes to run my test case, which has 60,000 duplicates.  Check back here later tonight if you're near the California time zone, or tomorrow!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
We ran into a snag with Firefox last week.  Whether it's this week or next week is still too hard to say.

OK, so I've just established a deadline of Friday March 18 at 17:00 USA-Pacific time.  You'll either have a beta of BookMacster 1.3.19, or crippled version or utility which will do the one job of deleting large numbers of duplicates for people who have too many duplicates to be handled by BookMacster 1.3.18.

Check back here on this thread at that time.

Thanks for your patience.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dave Burbank
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Hi... just wondering if there is any update on when you might be able to provide a release (alpha or beta ok) which can remove duplicates. I'm kind of in a bind, but I can't accept your kind offer to have me send the bookmarks file to you.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Dave Burbank wrote on Mar 1st, 2011 at 2:47pm:
I too am stuck because of this bug. Any news on when the beta will be available?
At the risk of shooting myself in the foot, I'm going to say that it looks very good to have this out by the end of the week.  If we miss that, and you want to send your .bkmslf file to support@sheepsystems.com, we'll remove the duplicates and send it back to you.

And I'll let each reader give their own definition to "end of the week"  Wink

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Dave Burbank
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2011 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Feb 28th, 2011 at 5:10am:
Yes, there's quite a load of changes in 1.3.19, in particular the Firefox extension, so we'll definitely be doing a beta.  To get the beta, check the appropriate box in Preferences ▸ Updates.

I too am stuck because of this bug. Any news on when the beta will be available?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Yes, there's quite a load of changes in 1.3.19, in particular the Firefox extension, so we'll definitely be doing a beta.  To get the beta, check the appropriate box in Preferences ▸ Updates.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ByronM
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry.  I look forward to the upgrade which I assume I will get as a beta update.

Byron

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Byron.

This crash turned out to be due to excessive memory usage if there are many large Duplicate Groups; for example, hundreds of Duplicate Groups, each with a dozen or so bookmarks.  We fixed it a couple weeks ago, in the next version, BookMacster 1.3.19.  We hope to release 1.3.19 real soon.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ByronM
Crash: During Duplicate Removal
Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I have a pretty large collection of Bookmarks which Bookdog handled fine and at great speed.  I have been experience repeated crashes lately with Bookmacster.

The latest crash happens when I do the following:

1.  I freshly imported from my browsers and online services (see attachment 1 for details on configuration and logs) into a new bookmarkshelf after de-installing a copy of Bookmacster that crashed so badly it would not run.  After installing the new copy import worked fine all bookmarks seem to have come in as expected.

2.  I pruned them a little getting rid of some bookmarks that were old and 404.

3.  I performed a sort using command J and it worked fine (with the usual strange behaviors previously reported in other postings on the forums).  Overall though I'm happy with the sort.

4.  I performed a "Save" with command S and BookMacster reports all is well.

5.  I performed a "Find Duplicates" from the menu and it does indeed find a very large number of duplicates quite correctly.

6.  I press the "Delete All" button in the duplicates dialog.  BM responds with "Deleting Duplicates" and begins moving the blue bar accross the dialog as it should.

7.  About 10 minutes into the deleting duplicates routine, and halfway or so accross the blue bar, BM crashes.  It simply stops working and exits.  I get a crashed program/restart dialog with comments, and can reopen immediately and everything is back to normal, except no duplicate deletions have occured.

I have repeated this several times and am now pulling my hair out over the issue.  REALLY, I've had NOTHING but problems with Bookmacster since paying for the upgrade.  Bookdog worked fine, but of course does not work with Chrome or any newer versions of the browsers I use.

I'm a web developer and MUST use all of the browsers supported.  I have over 8000 bookmarks and MUST be able to organize and delete duplicates.

Please HELP!!!

Byron McKay
Web Designer

P.S.  I am unable to attach my zip file with details. YaBB locks up when I do so.  I'm using standard 3.6 firefox and have NO problems uploading to any web site forum but yours.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint