Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic is it possible to have bookmarks only in BookMac.. (Read 4322 times)
PMC Systems
Re: is it possible to have bookmarks only in BookMac..
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 19th, 2010 at 3:24am:
First of all, you could add the xbel file as a Client using the Choose File (Advanced) item at the bottom of the Client popup.  That would be rather silly unless you have some purpose for maintaining this xbel file, but it would work.

I tried that but it said the client already existed but didn't show up in the client list. I understand your explanation and see why I don't want to do this. I was making the assumption that it didn't keep the bookmarks because it didn't have a client. No I wasn't planning on keeping the xbel file. Well, I was going to keep it until I figured out Bookmacster.

Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 19th, 2010 at 3:24am:
Fourth, is your next idea…

PMC Systems wrote on Dec 19th, 2010 at 2:22am:
Also, can I store bookmarks in the bookmacster file but not have them sync to any client?
Yes, yes and yes.  That is what I call the URL Manager Pro usage style.  In BookMacster Help, we refer to this as Usage Style 3.  After your initial organizing, you never import and never export.  You can de-activate or delete all Clients which were used for your initial import.  You never touch the Bookmarks menu in any web browser.  When you want to add a bookmark, you use the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet.  When you want to delete a bookmark, you open your Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster, make your changes, and save.  When you want to visit a bookmark, you use the BookMacster Status Menulet or Dock Menu.  If you have an Agent, it might be only to Sort or Verify.  You do not put any Import or Export commands in any Agent.

A half-way variation on this usage style, not quite as radical, would be to use Clients to Export only.  In this style, you could still visit bookmarks using the Bookmarks menu in your web browsers, but you would not Add Bookmark in the browser, because you would never import them.  Exporting to Safari once in awhile has the advantage that your bookmarks are now accessible in Spotlight, Launch Bar, or other favorite launcher app.  That's what I do.  I keep a Safari Client for this purpose, with Import checked OFF and Export checked ON.

The other half-way variation on this usage style would be to use Clients to Import only.  In this style, you could still add bookmarks using the Bookmarks menu in your web browsers, but to  visit a bookmark, you would use the BookMacster Status Menulet or Dock Menu.

I know that the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet is a little cumbersome, and we plan to add more convenient ways to add bookmarks directly to BookMacster in the future, and also to visit the bookmarks, making these usage styles more attractive.

Well, that was pretty long and I hope I didn't lose you.  Let us know if you have any further questions.

I like your suggestions and I'm going to work on implementing them.

I'm a little frustrated with the app at the moment but it seems that it can be powerful. It is a little cumbersome at the moment for some tasks and (my personal opinion) needs some UI love. It doesn't quite feel like a Mac app. From your response I feel that you will be working on that in the future. I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for the prompt response.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: is it possible to have bookmarks only in BookMac..
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 3:24am
Print Post  
I have imported bookmarks from the various browsers that I use. (Safari, chrome, Firefox, Camino, Omniweb) I have also exported a xbel file from URLMP and imported that. I started to organize my combined bookmarks and then ran the default agent. (import clients whenever feasible - sort - export;I have triggers set for when the browsers quit or when safari updates. the commands listed are:
1. Import: triggering Client
2. Sort
3. Export All Clients
4. save Document.

When this is run. All the bookmarks stored in the xbel file get deleted from the bookmacster file. Help. This is very frustrating.
Thank you for the good description.  You imported from 6 Clients (including the xbel file), you organized, then you ran the default Agent which re-imported, but only from 5 Clients (not the xbel file).  Because BookMacster does not see the bookmarks which were from the xbel file on this second import, it thinks that you don't want them any more and deleted them.

Unfortunately, there are the several ways to solve this problem.  For the sake of the list archives, I'll explain all of them.

First of all, you could add the xbel file as a Client using the Choose File (Advanced) item at the bottom of the Client popup.  That would be rather silly unless you have some purpose for maintaining this xbel file, but it would work.

Second, you could click the top "gear" button in Settings ▸ Clients to show the Import PostProcessing and check OFF Delete Unmatched Items.  But then you would never be able to delete a bookmark by deleting it from browsers and importing, even if you deleted it from all browsers.

Third, you could (and probably should have) execute an Export immediately after you were done organizing for the first time.  Ah, now all of the bookmarks which had been in the xbel file only appear in the other 5 Clients, so that when you imported, they would be matched (5 times) and thus not deleted.

Fourth, is your next idea…

Also, can I store bookmarks in the bookmacster file but not have them sync to any client?
Yes, yes and yes.  That is what I call the URL Manager Pro usage style.  In BookMacster Help, we refer to this as Usage Style 3.  After your initial organizing, you never import and never export.  You can de-activate or delete all Clients which were used for your initial import.  You never touch the Bookmarks menu in any web browser.  When you want to add a bookmark, you use the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet.  When you want to delete a bookmark, you open your Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster, make your changes, and save.  When you want to visit a bookmark, you use the BookMacster Status Menulet or Dock Menu.  If you have an Agent, it might be only to Sort or Verify.  You do not put any Import or Export commands in any Agent.

A half-way variation on this usage style, not quite as radical, would be to use Clients to Export only.  In this style, you could still visit bookmarks using the Bookmarks menu in your web browsers, but you would not Add Bookmark in the browser, because you would never import them.  Exporting to Safari once in awhile has the advantage that your bookmarks are now accessible in Spotlight, Launch Bar, or other favorite launcher app.  That's what I do.  I keep a Safari Client for this purpose, with Import checked OFF and Export checked ON.

The other half-way variation on this usage style would be to use Clients to Import only.  In this style, you could still add bookmarks using the Bookmarks menu in your web browsers, but to  visit a bookmark, you would use the BookMacster Status Menulet or Dock Menu.

I know that the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet is a little cumbersome, and we plan to add more convenient ways to add bookmarks directly to BookMacster in the future, and also to visit the bookmarks, making these usage styles more attractive.

Well, that was pretty long and I hope I didn't lose you.  Let us know if you have any further questions.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

PMC Systems
is it possible to have bookmarks only in BookMac..
Dec 19th, 2010 at 2:22am
Print Post  
here is what I have done I have imported bookmarks from the various browsers that I use. (Safari, chrome, Firefox, Camino, Omniweb) I have also exported a xbel file from URLMP and imported that. I started to organize my combined bookmarks and then ran the default agent. (import clients whenever feasible - sort - export;I have triggers set for when the browsers quit or when safari updates. the commands listed are:
1. Import: triggering Client
2. Sort
3. Export All Clients
4. save Document.

When this is run. All the bookmarks stored in the xbel file get deleted from the bookmacster file. Help. This is very frustrating. What am i doing wrong?

Also, can I store bookmarks in the bookmacster file but not have them sync to any client? I'm tired of repeating my work and I'm sure I have probably lost a few bookmarks in the process. I did make a backup of my Safari bookmarks before I started but, I didn't on the rest of my browsers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint