Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Feature request: option to keep folder closed (Read 5107 times)
Rob Lewis
Re: Feature request: option to keep folder closed
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:18pm:
Wait.  After reviewing the operation, now I'm not so sure it should be fixed.  If you hold down the shift key, folders to not spring open (expand) as you pass over them.  However, they do expand after you've dropped an item, to reveal the dropped item.  That might be a good thing.  What do you think?

It was the expanding after I dropped the item that I was objecting to (to conserve screen real estate). I have to manually close the folder that just opened every time. I guess springing open during the drag would not be a problem for me, as long as it then closed. (In fact, they would have to spring open to expose nested folders).

If you suppress opening the folder after the drop, maybe there's a way to visually indicate where the item ended up, like making the destination folder name sparkle or change color for an instant, or something.

For your tooltip text, how about something like "Hold 'Shift' to keep folders closed after dropping"? Although for me, the default case would be to keep the folder closed, and the shifted case would be to keep it open.

I'd be interested what others think.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Wait.  After reviewing the operation, now I'm not so sure it should be fixed.  If you hold down the shift key, folders to not spring open (expand) as you pass over them.  However, they do expand after you've dropped an item, to reveal the dropped item.  That might be a good thing.  What do you think?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Rob Lewis wrote on Feb 27th, 2011 at 7:58pm:
Apologies if it's already in there somewhere.
There is a tooltip (text in yellow box) which appears while you're dragging an item (it's too much, I know, but we couldn't think of a better way), it says To stop folders from springing open, hold down the 'shift' key.  Unfortunately, it appears to have been broken in a recent version, so I just discovered when I tested it.  Looks like the folder stays collapsed at first, but then expands to reveal the newly-dropped item.

We'll fix it for the next version.  Thank you, Rob.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Rob Lewis
Feature request: option to keep folder closed
Feb 27th, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I'm doing a reorganization of a big bookmark shelf, and I wish that whenever I dropped a bookmark into a folder, it wouldn't open the folder (i.e., behave as though I had clicked the little triangle to expose the folder contents).

With limited screen space, I'd rather see more of the unorganized list than the contents of folders.

Maybe a prefs option?
Apologies if it's already in there somewhere.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint