Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) BookMacster 1.3.19 - Alpha is published (Read 16012 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster 1.3.19 - Alpha is published
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2011 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Thank you, FatalError.  I'm working hard to get 1.3.23 out the door.  It will definitely work better.  We'll re-visit this issue with Chromium after that.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #13 - May 12th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Sure. I'm just trying to help get this stable. As I wrote nothing showing up for me. No extension installed. No extension asking to be installed.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2011 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Arghh.  It's not supposed to be intuitive; it's supposed to just work.  When it sees you need the extension, it tells Chromium, and Chromium displays a message asking you if it's OK.

It worked for me, and I'll retest for the next version 1.3.23.  Version 1.3.23 also has a window for controlling this (which should rarely be necessary), so it will be easier to troubleshoot.  Thank you for your patience.

Chromium will also show you, in menu Window ▸ Extensions, what extensions are installed.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2011 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Correction: Using 1.3.22 here. But to be honest, I don't understand the process at all.

At which point should I be asked if an extension can be installed? I'm happy to test this, but the whole process seems rather unintuitive.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on May 11th, 2011 at 10:41am:
BookMacster still tells me to shut down chromium, when I want to import bookmarks from there.
It should do it once, and then Chromium should ask you if it's OK to install BookMacster's extension.  I'll retest later today, but it may be difficult to reproduce since of course I'm working on version 1.3.23 now.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2011 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Jerry, I tried 1.3.19 with the latest chromium. Did I get that right, that the idea was, I wouldn't have to shut down chromium to do the syncing (import/export)?

If so, it is not working for me. BookMacster still tells me to shut down chromium, when I want to import bookmarks from there.

IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Nice. I just received my first notification of this forum (evarrr). Smiley

Not sure about FreeSMUG since I'm on the nightlies.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:14am:
Thanks for the heads-up Jerry. I understand what you write, but what is it that FreeSMUG changes, that currently breaks support of BookMacster? Do they change directory names?.
I don't know if they do or not, but I presume they use a different process name and the path to the profile folder where the user's extensions and bookmarks are stored, and that they would do this in order that their app and Chromium would not conflict with each other.  If they do that, then they won't be recognized by BookMacster.  If they don't do that, then their app appear to be another Chromium installation, it would share the same user profile (extensions, bookmarks, etc.) with Chromium, and BookMacster would recognize it as Chromium.

?ô wrote on Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:14am:
On a sidenote: I still think mail-notifications on this forum here are broken. Did you ever check that? I now subscribed to this thread. Let's see if I receive anything. (I checked "Get Notification" which is analog to the more commonly used "Subscribtion" and then the optional follow up Notification (e.g. as in ipBoard).
OK, we'll see.  The instructions are here:

http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1285423601

It always works for me.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads-up Jerry. I understand what you write, but what is it that FreeSMUG changes, that currently breaks support of BookMacster? Do they change directory names?

On a sidenote: I still think mail-notifications on this forum here are broken. Did you ever check that? I now subscribed to this thread. Let's see if I receive anything. (I checked "Get Notification" which is analog to the more commonly used "Subscribtion" and then the optional follow up Notification (e.g. as in ipBoard).

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Thank you, FatalError.

Yes, there was a hard-coded "Chrome" in our Internet Plug-In that proffered the wrong port name for Chromium.  It's fixed in BookMacster version 1.3.22 alpha which has just been published.  Get it the same way as you got 1.3.19 (see first message in this thread).

Now, just a reminder that this only works for Chromium as published by the Chromium folks at the first link you gave.  Updating it by Chromatic is OK.  BookMacster requires that the process name contain the word "Chromium", that the bookmarks are in the "Chromium" folder in Application Support, etc.  If some geek or Macintosh User Group builds their own version from the source code and changes any of this, BookMacster will not recognize their app.  In particular, I'd expect that FreeSMUG Chromium and SRWare Iron would not be recognized.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Yes and Yes Smiley

Find the latest nightlies here: http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Mac/

And for an update mechanism, consider using chromatic: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32856/chromatic

Also, if you like to stay with the stable builds with identical version number to the chrome stables Chromium here is what you'd want to consider. Those have sparkle integration and will notify you of updates if a new stable release arrives: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36244/chromium

Cheerios!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Fatal Error, could you please give me a download link for the latest version of Chromium.  Mine is very old and has no AppleScript support, which BookMacster uses.

Also, is there a convenient way to keep updated with Chromium?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 5:50pm:
I hope BookMacster has been somewhat successful so far?
Doing OK, considering that we consider it to be still in development.

?ô wrote on Apr 16th, 2011 at 5:50pm:
When I try to "Import" Bookmarks I get the message that Chromium is running and needs to be quit.
The design is such  that Chromium should work like Chrome.  We'll check into it.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Hey Jerry,

good to see improvments are still coming. I hope BookMacster has been somewhat successful so far?

I use chromium as my main browser and it's awesome I have to say. When I try to "Import" Bookmarks I get the message that Chromium is running and needs to be quit.

What's the status of this? Since it is supported in Firefox and I thought Chrome, would it be possible to clone chrome code for some chromium support?

Cheers

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
BookMacster 1.3.19 - Alpha is published
Apr 9th, 2011 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
BookMacster 1.3.19 has been published.

Although there are no known bugs, this release is labelled alpha because it updates your Bookmarkshelf documents in a couple ways, and more importantly it includes our new Firefox Extension.  For now, the extension merely allows BookMacster to export to or import from Firefox without quitting Firefox.  We plan that the next version will install a menu item within Firefox to replace the BookMacsterize bookmarklet, and allow changed Firefox bookmarks to trigger an Agent before Firefox quits, working as we do now with Safari.

To install the Firefox extension, launch Firefox, then open a Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster 1.3.19, and Import from (or Export to) Firefox.  If you don't want the import, either click EditUndo Import or close the document with Don't Save.  If you have multiple Firefox profiles, this must be done for each profile.

We've found that, unlike Chrome which is really fast when we tell it to insert or delete bookmarks, Firefox is quite slow.  While this is not an issue during normal day-to-day operation, when you're adding a few bookmarks, if you're doing a "wholesale" export which inserts or deletes hundreds of bookmarks, it will be faster to quit Firefox so that BookMacster can use our old method instead.  With Firefox running, expect 4 minutes per thousand new or deleted bookmarks on a mid-grade Mac, during which time Firefox will beachball and be unusable.  The next version of BookMacster might estimate the time and display a warning, or maybe just quit Firefox for you, if it's going to take over a couple tens of seconds.

This version drops support for Firefox 3.0 - 3.5.  Import or Export of Firefox bookmarks with this version of BookMacster 1.3.19 or later requires Firefox 3.6 or later.

To get BookMacster 1.3.19, launch BookMacster and in PreferencesUpdating, check the box for Alpha - very early adopter.  Then go back to the menu and Check for Update.

You may report bugs either here or via email to support@sheepsystems.com.  If you do it in this forum, and you've got a specific bug or suggestion, start a new topic.

Thank you!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint