Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Intermittent behavior 'Visit this Bookmark with' (Read 7830 times)
Spaceman
Re: Intermittent behavior 'Visit this Bookmark with'
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2011 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Well, I don't have Firefox 4 installed but other wise, the behavior you mention is exactly what I see. On the second attempt, the bookmark will open in Firefox as it should. Still not sure what 'resets' it back to the point where it misbehaves again.

Can't use FF4 yet because our work Credit Card system, Time and Attendance system, and our Desktop TV (for seeing company 'All-Hands' presentations and local weather) do not support it. Also, the IT department does not support it either (but that's the least of my worries) Grin

If I can figure out what 'resets' this behavior, I'll let you know.

Now, get back to work on the next version  Wink

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update.  I was able to reproduce the problem by adding some additional stress.  Before doing anything, I added these steps:

•  Visit a web page in Firefox 4
•  Quit Firefox 4
•  Zip the Firefox 4 application package so that it can no longer run.

Now when I click the bookmark which is designated Visit with Firefox in BookMacster's status menulet, it gets visited in Safari, and Firefox 3 launches but does not show the desired page, as you reported.

However, if I then quit Firefox 3 and click the bookmark in BookMacster again, this time Firefox 3 launches and visits the bookmark as desired.

The fact that the bookmark gets visited in Safari the first time, although not ideal behavior by Mac OS X, is understandable because its previously-known app for org.mozilla.firefox was no longer available, so it had to search for another one.

I'm sure you didn't put it under this additional stress, but maybe with this clue we can figure it out someday.  Of course, the problem might go away when you decide to bite the bullet and give up on those 32-bit plugins or whatever is preventing you from upgrading to Firefox 4.  Firefox 4 has been available to developers for a couple years, and if a developer has not updated their stuff by now, users should no longer be holding their breaths Wink

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2011 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
OK, just to keep you up to date.

I had the issue happen again this morning.

Safari was running, Firefox 3.6.17 was not. I selected a bookmark form the BookMacster menu item which has been set to open in Firefox.

When I selected the bookmark, first Safari went to that page and then Firefox launched but went to it's default starting page.

It is almost like the 'go to page' command is sent out before the 'launch Firefox' command and it gets grabbed by the already running Safari. (I know these are not real commands, just my laymen terms)  Wink

I don't have any additional info so I am not looking for you to solve it based on this input, I just wanted to keep you up to date. I will let you know if and when I can come up with some repeatable steps.

Regards,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Spaceman wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 7:32pm:
… is it possible that if I set the 'Visit with...' setting for a bookmark to Firefox when I had and older version of Firefox installed and then later, selected that bookmark but now have a newer version installed, could that cause confusion?
That's one of the things I meant when I said that Positively identifying applications has never been a strong point of Mac OS X.  It could be a factor, although more understandable if it would launch another Firefox version.  Actually, when using the bundle identifier, there is no protection against that since Firefox 1-4 all have the same bundle identifier.  Supposedly Mac OS X should launch the one which you last used.

Spaceman wrote on May 16th, 2011 at 7:32pm:
If it happens again, I will let you know.
OK, I'll go back to working on BookMacster version 1.3.23 now.  But any time we can get Steps to Reproduce, we're happy to fix a bug  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Well, it seems to be working again. Yes, your steps that you recommended are the ones I followed. As I mentioned, it is intermittent and I don't use the feature often so I have not brought it up before.

Just curious, is it possible that if I set the 'Visit with...' setting for a bookmark to Firefox when I had and older version of Firefox installed and then later, selected that bookmark but now have a newer version installed, could that cause confusion?

Any way, it is not a bid deal. If it happens again, I will let you know.

John

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I don't see that problem.  Let me be specific with the steps:
  • Default browser in my Mac account is Safari.
  • In BookMacster ▸ Preferences ▸ General, check on Show BookMacster status in Menu bar.
  • Open a Bookmarkshelf in BookMacster
  • Select a bookmark.
  • Click Inspector.
  • Change Visit this bookmark with to Firefox.
  • Close the Inspector.
  • Minimize the Bookmarkshelf window to the Dock.
  • Quit Firefox if it is running
  • Safari is running.
  • Click the BookMacster status menulet and select that bookmark
Firefox launches and browses to that bookmark, as expected.

In the subject line, you used the word intermittent.  Is it indeed not reproducible?  Tell me something to change in my steps that might make it more likely to happen.  I'm using Firefox 4 but I con't think that would matter.

Positively identifying applications has never been a strong point of Mac OS X.  For this feature, BookMacster uses the bundle identifier, e.g. org.mozilla.firefox, which is about as accurate as you can get.

If we can't figure this out, I could a couple log statements to the next version which will help identify what link in the chain gets broken.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Intermittent behavior 'Visit this Bookmark with'
May 16th, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
This has been happening for a while, however I don't use the function very often so I have not written about it before.

I have a couple of bookmarks set to open with Firefox (instead of my default of Safari). However, often when I select one of those bookmarks from the BookMacster menu, it will open the page in Safari but also launch Firefox although Firefox will open to it's Home Page instead of the bookmarked page.

Any ideas?

I am using BookMacster 1.3.22
Mac OS X 10.6.7
Firefox 3.6.17 (but did the same with earlier versions)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint