Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Odd behavior and empty dialog boxes in 1.5.1 (Read 5726 times)
Spaceman
Re: Odd behavior and empty dialog boxes in 1.5.1
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Yea! 1.5.3 fixes the 'Wacky Windows'  Wink

I can live with the current steps necessary to reveal BookMacster if previously launched in the background.  Smiley

I would like to make one comment based on a couple of things you said. I could be wrong but from your last post it seems like you believe that I was the one wanting to hide the application. What I was actually wanting was to have the Bookmarkshelf window (not necessarily the App) automatically 'Hide', 'Disappear'  Grin , or even minimize when BookMacster was not the front most application and reappear when BookMacster was brought forward. Since I mostly interface with Bookmacster via the Menulet, it would be nice to not have an extra open window taking up screen space. What I have been doing was to minimize the Bookmarkshelf window as soon as I launched BookMacster and only expand it when I needed it. I can certainly live with this, it would just be nice to have it automated  Wink.

However, now that you have the Wacky Windows bug fixed, you've got bigger fish to fry. Thanks for jumping on this bug so quickly.

Regards,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2011 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Thank you for your persistence, Spaceman.

Indeed, 1.5.2 was turned out to have fixed a different Wacky Windows issue.  We just published version 1.5.3 which has the two issues you're discussing here pretty much fixed.

The Wacky Windows should be gone completely.

Having to switch applications with ⌘-tab is still an issue, although I think it's more consistent now.  Here's the drill:
  • In the status menulet, click Show BookMacster (formerly Show Menu).  Assuming a Bookmarkshelf is open, its window will appear, but the menu will remain showing whatever app was active originally, e.g. Safari or whatever.
  • ⌘-tab to a third app, e.g. Mail.
  • ⌘-tab back to BookMacster.  The BookMacster menu will appear.

Unless you find that it's worse, we're going to set this aside for awhile and work on more pressing issues like, eeek, Mac OS X 10.7.  The Show BookMacster menu item is only useable once per launch, by the way.  Once you've clicked it, the only way to get BookMacster back into the background is to quit and relaunch.  It's a limitation of Mac OS X which Apple has documented for many years.  I suppose maybe we could do the quit-and-relaunch under the hood for you, but, again, we're more worried about the looming shadow of Mac OS X 10.7 and Safari 5.1.

Thanks again.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
OK, Here is a long-winded update.  Smiley

I will break this into two items.

First, with respect to not seeing the menus after selecting ‘Show Menu’, you are correct, it is intermittent. Prior to writing you yesterday, I tried multiple things including hitting ‘Cmd-Tab’ to select and another application and then clicking on the Bookmarkshelf window and I still could not get the Bookmacster menus to show. I also tried clicking on other open windows (Finder, MS Word, and others) then back to Bookmacster and still no menus and no icon in the Cmd-Tab strip. However, later in the day, it started working consistently. I do not know what I did or what ‘group’ of other applications were running but now, every time I click off of Bookmacster (or use Cmd-Tab) I can go back to Bookmacster and see the menus now. In addition, when I got home and tried 1.5.1 on my home computer (MacPro) it never had the problem of not being able to get to the menus. Now, with that said, selecting ‘Show Menu’ does not automatically show the menus, I still have to do the ‘click elsewhere and back’ trick to see them.

Now, with respect to the ‘Wacky Windows’, no 1.5.2 does not fix the issue.
What it did do was to make the orphaned windows open more slowly. With 1.5.1, they all appeared to open simultaneously but with 1.5.2 there is about a 1 second pause (after selecting Show Menu) before the first window opens and then about a ½ second pause between each of the others.

I have learned some additional info that occurs with both 1.5.1 and 1.5.2. If I have no other Bookmacster windows open at the time (other than the bookmarkshelf) and I select ‘Show Menu’, then I get the three ‘Wacky Windows’ you saw in my screen shot yesterday. However, lets say you launch Bookmacster (in the background) but don’t select ‘Show Menu’ yet. Next, open the Inspector window and then select Show Menu. You will receive the same three extra windows as before but now you will get 2 more (see the screen shot).

Yet one more point of info. If you open the Inspector window ‘AFTER’ selecting Show Menu, you get the three extra menus as discussed yesterday but you do not get the additional two mentioned in the paragraph above. These extra two only seem to appear if you have the Inspector window open prior to selecting Show Menu.

Hope this helps.

Yet_more_windows.png ( 1981 KB | 305 Downloads )
Yet_more_windows.png

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Regarding the problem of the Wacky Windows, there is a good chance that was due to the bug I referred to in that other thread which has just been fixed.  The bug that was fixed can cause different behaviors on different Macs/accounts.  Basically, you update to version 1.5.2 and it should be fixed:

http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1306381083/0#

Let me know if that does not fix the Wacky Windows.

Regarding the BookMacster menu not appearing when you Launch in Background and later click Show Menu from the Status Menulet, we're still working on that.  The workaround is to activate one or two other apps using ⌘-tab, then return to BookMacster and voila the menu should appear.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Thanks again for the report.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2011 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Hello again, Spaceman.  When you click Show Menus in the Status menulet, if the BookMacster menu does not show immediately, activate a couple other apps in succession using ⌘-tab or the Dock, and then return to BookMacster (which should be in the Dock).

I'm working on a solution for that; it seems to be an intermittent bug that was reported to Apple three years ago Embarrassed

But that doesn't explain your screenshots showing the orphan windows.  Maybe you're having this problem:

http://sheepsystems.com/discuss/YaBB.pl?num=1306381083/0#

We're working on the issues and I shall post a solution here.  I may contact you via email if I need further info.  In any case, when we figure out what's going on there we'll post the answer here.  Thank you for your patience.

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011 at 12:39pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Spaceman
Odd behavior and empty dialog boxes in 1.5.1
May 25th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Downloaded 1.5.1 this morning and am having strange behavior.
First, I saw the 'Launch into background' option that has been added (think that is the name but can not get back in to verify). I had assumed that this option would open then hide my bookmarkshelf. However, what it does is to hide the application itself. There is no way for me to bring the BookMacster menus back to the front. Performing a 'Cmd-Tab' to cycle thru running applications does not reveal BookMacster application. So, I can no longer get to the BookMacster preferences to turn this off.

I got looking around and found 'Show Menu' option under the BookMacster menu item. I thought that this might bring back the application menus but it does not. What it does is to open up an empty warning box with an 'OK' button that can not be clicked. If you slide that dialog box out of the way, there is another one below it that says 'Alert dummyInfoText'. Also, another small window appears that says 'newLog' at the top and has a slider for 'Throttle requests per second'. You can not close any of these windows, however if you try and drag the window that says 'Throttle' in it, it will disappear. I have included a screen shot where I have already drug the first warning box off of the second one so you can see both. In the lower left is the 'Throttle' box.
Although I can not get the BookMacster menus to reappear, If I click on my BookMarkshelf window to bring it forward, I can perform a 'Command-Q' to quit.

Selecting bookmarks from the menu item appears to work, I just can not get back to the application menus.

OK, been playing around some more and now, sometimes when I select the 'Show Menu', the BookMacster icon will show up when I perform a 'Cmd-Tab'. After doing a 'Show Menu' if I simply click on the Bookmarkshelf window, this will not bring the menus back. However, if I click on the desktop and then the bookmarkshelf window, then the menus do come back and I can get back into preferences. However, being able to get the menus back seems intermittent. I may have to quit Bookmacster and retry  a couple of times. Another odd thing is that even when I am able to see the the icon when I Cmd-Tab, the little white dot that is supposed to indicate a running application in the Dock, does not show up under the Bookmacster icon in the Dock (for other running apps, it does).

Help!!! Huh

Screen_shot_2011-05-25_at_8_05_06_AM.png ( 1476 KB | 322 Downloads )
Screen_shot_2011-05-25_at_8_05_06_AM.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint