Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Writing file (Read 12083 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Writing file
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Although we've never been able to reproduce exactly what schnide has been seeing, BookMacster 1.7.3 (Beta), just released, has several improvements which fix all the hangs we could find.  To get it,

• Launch BookMacster.
• Make sure you're Preference is set to get Beta versions, like this:

• Click in the menu BookMacster ▸ Check for Updates.

To all: Please let us know if you find any way to make BookMacster 1.7.3 hang.  We uncovered one related bug in OS X Lion while working on this issue, and it now has some attention inside Apple.  If we can isolate any more, we'll do what we can to help Apple reproduce and fix them.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:58am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. Let me know if you or Apple need further information from me.

Thanks
Joe

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster hangs during Save or Auto Save in Lion
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Joe.  Although I'm still get the hang by using the Bookmarklet as you do, I can sometimes get BookMacster to similarly hang during one of Lion's Auto Saves, if I throw everything but the kitchen sink at it for about 20 minutes.  But it's never reproducible.

I've opened a Support Incident with Apple, so that one of their engineers will take a look at what we're doing.  In the meantime, if you or anyone finds a way to reproduce this, please let us know.  By "way to reproduce", I mean that, when it hangs, after the force-quit and relaunch, try to do what you just did prior to the hang and see if it hangs again.

I'll post here when the incident is resolved; it usually takes about a week.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
This morning I opened BookMaster, then opened a link in Safari, tried to save it and the saving hung. I had to force quit BookMaster. When it came back, it had the link saved. I've attached a trouble zipper.

BookMacster_Trouble_010.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
schnide wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:01pm:
This works a bit better now but I have trained myself to slow down and wait until the save is completed before saving another link. I have widened the window so I can see it when it is saving and is done saving. Would like to not have to wait but this is a decent workaround for now.
Joe, I just found a site which has a list of links to pages that load really fast.  Then I exported the BookMacsterize bookmarklet to Safari, and began clicking away to create bookmarks as fast as I could.  After 60 seconds, I had created 12 bookmarks.  BookMacster/Lion did their Auto Save after adding each one.  There were no hangs.

Have you seen any hangs since updating to BookMacster 1.7.2?  I'm worried about repetitive stress syndrome if I'd try to create more than 12 bookmarks per minute Cheesy

More seriously maybe, if you're still seeing hangs in 1.7.2, how many CPU cores do you have on your Mac?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Aug 21st, 2011 at 12:00am:
Thank you, Joe.  We're beating on this issue right now and will test it thoroughly with the bookmarklet.

This works a bit better now but I have trained myself to slow down and wait until the save is completed before saving another link. I have widened the window so I can see it when it is saving and is done saving. Would like to not have to wait but this is a decent workaround for now.

Thanks

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Thank you, Joe.  We're beating on this issue right now and will test it thoroughly with the bookmarklet.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 6:22am:
Hello schnide,

We've made several improvements in saving and autosaving in the last couple days, although we've not been able to reproduce the problem that you've been seeing.

Does it do it every time you add a bookmark?

No

Quote:
When you get the hang after adding a bookmark, are you using the Status Menulet, Dock Menu or Bookmarklet?

The Bookmarklet is all I ever use.

Quote:
If the problem is reproducible, please consider running Trouble Zipper to send us your data, along with any Steps to Reproduce, so we can try it.  To do that, in BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.  For question F (Files), please include this large Bookmarkshelf Document in which you're seeing the problem.

Its not filly reproducible. It seems to just happen when nothing but usual steps are taken. It will run for quite
a bit of time and then I kill it and comes back fine. When it restarts, it most often doesn't have the last item
I tried to add.

Thanks
Joe

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Hello schnide,

We've made several improvements in saving and autosaving in the last couple days, although we've not been able to reproduce the problem that you've been seeing.

Does it do it every time you add a bookmark?

When you get the hang after adding a bookmark, are you using the Status Menulet, Dock Menu or Bookmarklet?

If the problem is reproducible, please consider running Trouble Zipper to send us your data, along with any Steps to Reproduce, so we can try it.  To do that, in BookMacster, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper.  For question F (Files), please include this large Bookmarkshelf Document in which you're seeing the problem.

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Although I didn't think that was happening in the wild, it's pretty easy to make Lion's autosave hang up, by tweaking things in the lab.  We just fixed a related bug (changes might not be saved if you close a document quickly after an Import or Export), and in the process made changes in this area of autosaving.  Please set your Check for Update control to Alpha or Beta and I'll post here when the new version is available.

Thanks!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 7:34pm:
OS X Lion?

Does it do this when you click "Save", "Close", or when Lion is autosaving?

I am running Lion. And it is when it is saving on its own after an add.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
OS X Lion?

Does it do this when you click "Save", "Close", or when Lion is autosaving?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

schnide
Writing file
Aug 12th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Hello,

For the last couple of days, things seem to get hung and unresponsive when it is writing the bkmslf file. I have to force quite and restart it. On the restart, it loses the last thing saved to the file. Yes, it is still a giant file. It has the animation going as it is writing but after a 5+ minutes, I kill it. Any ideas?

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint