Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic External links crashing Firefox? (Read 6173 times)
used to work
Re: External links crashing Firefox?
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for taking the time Jerry. I have Console 10.7 installed, I was just looking at FILES->System.log instead of SYSTEM LOG QUERIES->All Messages.

App Cleaner removes plists and other app-related detritus from the file system as well as the app itself. When I reinstalled Firefox fresh, I did indeed lose all my settings, bookmarks, addons etc. (but they're all backed up so nothing is really lost).

When I look under All Messages in Console.app, nothing comes up when I try to launch Firefox from an external link. I know messages are coming through though as if I do something like "sudo ls" from the CLI an entry appears in All Messages.

Any ideas would be appreciated but you're a busy guy and to be honest I've switched over to Safari for the moment and except for one or two plugins I'm not missing Firefox too much.    Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:20pm by used to work »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
First of all, I think that the "System.log" and "Console.log" thing went away in Lion.  Launch Console.app and click in the menu: Console ▸ About Console.  I have version 10.7 (377) and it looks like this:

What version do you have?  To use Console, click on "All Messages" in the source list on the left.

Having the 10.6 console on 10.7 indicates that Lion was not installed properly, which means anything is possible.

I don't know what those app cleaner apps do.  When you reinstalled Firefox, did you lose all of your bookmarks, add-ons, and everything?  You should have.  If not, then you still have the same profile and the problem might be in there.

Let me know on the Console version and Firefox profile and we'll go from there.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

used to work
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry, I took a look in Console but didn't see anything, I assume I should be looking at System.log?

I also used AppCleaner to completely remove Firefox and BookMacster, reinstalled Firefox from a fresh download, and the problem still persists. It happens every time the system is instructed to launch the default browser, but only if the default browser is Firefox, if the default is Safari it works fine, and if Firefox is already running external links work fine also.

I'm not sure if BookMacster had anything to do with it but it was the only thing I installed yesterday so it seemed to make sense. Any further advice you might have is appreciated!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Hello 'work,

It seems unlikely that BookMacster would be involved in this, especially the part about all of your add-ons becoming disabled.  (BookMacster will quit Firefox during the process of installing its extension.)  But since unlikely things happen in this business every day, I tested it anyhow…

• In Safari preferences, change default browser to Firefox 11.0.
• In Firefox 11.0, enable four Add-Ons in addition to Sheep Systems Firefox Extension 285.
• Relaunch Firefox 11.0.
• Activate Mail.app.
• Click on the link to this thread in my email notification.

Result:

This thread opens in Firefox, as expected.  Firefox does not quit.  Add-Ons Manager shows that the five Add-Ons are still enabled.

Look in your system Console log and see if there are any interesting messages in there around the last time that this happened.  (For newbies, type "Console" into Spotlight and choose "Console" under "Applications".)  If you don't see anything, type "Firefox" into the "String matching" search field at the top of the Console window.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

used to work
External links crashing Firefox?
Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Hi folks, I thought I'd give Bookmacster a try and so far it seems to be working great except for one thing: if I click a link in another program on my Mac (e.g. Adium) and Firefox isn't running, it launches Firefox but then Firefox immediately shuts down with no error message or what have you.

If I launch Firefox from the file system however, it starts up fine, however I have to manually re-enable all my addons if I've tried opening Firefox with an external link like described above.

Running Lion latest, Firefox latest, 2009 MBP with 8GB RAM. Any advice would be appreciated!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint