Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spinning wait cursor (spinning rainbow wheel) (Read 6542 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Spinning wait cursor (spinning rainbow wheel)
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
We spent a couple days working on performance issues, found and fixed several nasty bottlenecks.  Improvements will be in BookMacster 1.10.2 which we plan to publish next week.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Spinning wait cursor (spinning rainbow wheel)
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Hello banshee,

We've worked on memory leaks, and added many local autorelease pools so that, as you indicated, relaunching to release memory doesn't help.

20,000 bookmarks is a lot, and I know there is a performance bottleneck which occurs if you have thousands of bookmarks in one folder and start moving them around.  All of the others need to be displaced, and this is slow.  This is probably what you're experiencing.  It's an area that needs some programming work.

If you have such huge folder(s) which you are moving items out of, I think it would help to create, say, ten empty folders, then select swaths of bookmarks and move each swath into one of these empty folders.  The contextual menu item Move to… is handy for this.  Then you should be able to do your actual reorganization work from these folders with much shorter beachballs.

That's not a nice workaround.  If you're not in a hurry, we're going to look at some of these performance issues later this week and see if we can publish an update with better performance.  If you wouldn't mind zipping your .bkmslf document and sending to support@sheepsystems.com, I'd like to test your specific case and make sure we've got you covered.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

killer banshee
Spinning wait cursor (spinning rainbow wheel)
Feb 29th, 2012 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I got side tracked mid-organizing onto pressing jobs & so a bunch of new bookmarks had to be handled when I came back to it. I did a one time sync with Safari & so I could grab them. And now the problem I have often is a problem I am having with every move.

Spinning Wait Cursor.

I get the wait cursor during & after every move or delete. The amount of wait it is causing is going to expand the amount of time it is going to take to get things organized by 100 fold. Instead of roughly a second to move a group of bookmarks or delete a selected group of bookmarks (time it would take in the finder) it is taking around 20-25 seconds.

I am running on a MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB of RAM. Mac OS X 10.6.8. I have 200gb open on my hard drive. BookMacster v. 1.10.1.

I have tried restarting (to clear any memory leaks fully) & repairing/scanning and restarting again prior to working in BookMacSter (with nothing else open). No improvement.

I do have a large amount of bookmarks I am working through...around 20,000.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint