Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Need help new user... (Read 8001 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Need help new user...
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Thank you, DrB.

Just to make sure, for your usage, in the .bkmslf document, in SettingsAgents, the tab should be Simple, and at least checkboxes 1, 3 and 4 should be switched on.

Assuming that's OK, do this:
  • Click the Pause button in the toolbar.
  • Click the same button, which is now a Resume button, again.
  • "Export" as prompted.
If I were doing this, I'd do it on Mac1 first and see if it solved the problem, but as a practical matter you can just do it on both Macs immediately.  The idea is this: I've seen Mac OS X' agents, on which BookMacster agents are based, sometimes die soon after they've been created.  Pause and Resume destroys and re-creates them.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DrB
Re: Need help new user... Update 2:
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I then tried adding the bookmark to Mac1.  Sure enough, a few minutes later it successfully showed up on Mac2, so Mac1-Mac2 works fine.  Again, I wonder about a setting being off somewhere that would cause this behavior...

IP Logged

DrB
Re: Need help new user... Retest results
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I made a change in Mac2 as before.  I waited 24 hours on no bookmark on Mac1.  I then opened BooMcaster on Mac 1 and it went through a sync when I opened it.  In the log it said: Target Log in (From: Delete Unmatched or Merged Items).  The new bookmark was deleted again.  I wonder if there is some setting I don't have correct?  I didn't do anything very complicated in setting this up...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Here's what I've found…
  • The "strange behavior" I reported was that BookMacster can cause Dropbox to write a conflicted copy of a file, after a sync, if you have different BookMacster versions on two Macs.  This does not cause any bookmarks changes to be missed.  It has been fixed for the next version.  This probably did not affect you.  We have quite a few BookMacster versions kicking around here.
  • When I began testing last evening, Dropbox syncs were taking a long time, at least 10 times longer than normal.  Someone started a topic about this on Dropbox' forum.  But it starting unclogging about 20 minutes later and after a half hour Dropbox syncs were back to their usual snappiness.
  • There is a one-minute window which begins 0-60 seconds after changing a bookmark, wherein if you change another bookmark, the second change will propagate to BookMacster on the other Mac but not to Safari.  It will be propagated to that Safari during the next change, unless you make a change on the other Mac first.  Then there will be a conflict and I think that the first bookmark will lose.
Some combination of the 2nd and 3rd items might explain what happened with your bookmark yesterday.  If not, let us know and we'll investigate further.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DrB
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Jerry, I'll add one this morning and report back...

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 7:01am
Print Post  
DrB, I've followed your steps to see what might go wrong.  So far, I've created a dozen bookmarks as you described and none have been lost.

However the reason I created so many is that I'm noticing some slow and strange behavior this evening, apparently by Dropbox, but I'm not sure.  It might be related.  I shall post tomorrow after I learn more.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Hello DrB,

DrB wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:39am:
Added new bookmark in Safari on Mac2.  When I went to Mac1, log said it "merged" and deleted the new bookmark which then disappeared on Mac2.
Maybe something changed in Safari on Mac1 before the change arrived from Mac2.  Having Safari running on both Macs at once can result in such conflicts.  Was that the case?  What if you add another bookmark on Mac2 now?  Does it happen again?

I'm going to think about this further.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

DrB
Need help new user...
Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Simple dropbox setup with Mac1 and Mac2. Only Safari on both Macs.  Following instructions, Mac2 successfully mirrored Mac1 bookmarks.  Added new bookmark in Safari on Mac2.  When I went to Mac1, log said it "merged" and deleted the new bookmark which then disappeared on Mac2.  Did I set something up wrong?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint