Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Bookmacster won't startup, won't appear in menubar (Read 5506 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Bookmacster won't startup, won't appear in menubar
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Hello again, Chaz.  Your test and data indicates that BookMacster preferences are to Launch in Background but not Show Status Menu, and this explains the problem.  Please do this to fix it…

• Quit BookMacster if it is "running" (in Activity Monitor, etc.)  (You'll have to do this in Activity Monitor or use ⌥⌘ escape).
• Run the following command in Terminal…

defaults delete com.sheepsystems.BookMacster launchInBackground

• Launch BookMacster and it should show like a regular app.

Yes, obviously Launch in Background without Show Status Menu is a non-starter.  And I thought BookMacster made it impossible to do that, because the Launch in Background checkbox is disabled unless Show Status Menu is checked on, and these are both off by default.  But, apparently, you did it somehow.  We'll either re-think that, or else add a brute-force consistency check in the next version of BookMacster.

Thank you for your persistence, and let me know if you have any more trouble.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chaz1397
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The icon is not showing in the menu bar. I have tried re-downloading and re-installing a number of times without success.

Quote:
Please launch the application Terminal.app which is in /Applications/Utilities.  A window will open.  Copy and paste this command into it…

defaults read com.sheepsystems.BookMacster launchInBackground

then hit return.

What does it say?

'1'

Please find attached my TroubleZip file - I hope this helps!

BookMacster_Trouble.zip ( 93 KB | 371 Downloads )

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 1:09am
Print Post  
chaz1397 wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:45pm:
If there is anything else…
We should be able to fix this.  Does BookMacster's icon show along the top edge of your screen (menu bar), near the right?

Please launch the application Terminal.app which is in /Applications/Utilities.  A window will open.  Copy and paste this command into it…

defaults read com.sheepsystems.BookMacster launchInBackground

then hit return.

What does it say?  The possibilities are:

A.  The domain/default pair of (/Users/jk/Library/Preferences/com.sheepsystems.BookMacster, launchInBackground) does not exist

B.  0.
C.  1.

The next step would be to download and run our Trouble Zipper, and send me the data it produces.  There might be an answer in your console logs.  A little info is here…

http://www.sheepsystems.com/support/send_data/

To skip the info, we have a direct download link…

http://sheepsystems.com/files/SSYTroubleZipper.zip

Finally, there's also the old standby solution of reinstalling and re-downloading.  Sometimes zip or dmg archives don't decompress all of the pieces.

I was using the latest version of Bookmacster downloaded form your website but only the 3-day trial. [/quote]You can get two more 3-day trials after the first one expires.

(I am keen to purchase if I can get it working!)
Ah, we give a free license to any new user who sends us data that we use to identify a bug.

Thank you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chaz1397
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this a number of times without success. The only place it seems to appear is in the activity monitor.

I am currently running the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion on a MacBook Pro and was attempting to sync bookmarks between Firefox on my MacBook and Safari on my iPhone and iPad. Before I found out about Bookmacster I tried a couple of other solutions (Xmarks and iCloud, Firefox Sync) but I couldn't get either of these to work satisfactorily. As far as I can tell I have uninstalled all components relating to these programs but not sure if they could be interfering somehow? I was using the latest version of Bookmacster downloaded form your website but only the 3-day trial. (I am keen to purchase if I can get it working!)

If there is anything else that could assist you please let me know.

Cheers

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Hello, Chaz.

Thank you for the report.  Please try this.

• Look on the right side of your menubar, to the left of the clock, etc.
• Do you see the BookMacster icon?

If so, skip the next step

• Do you see any space between the left side of the menubar (words) and the right side of the menubar (icons).  If not, launch an application which has a short menu bar.  TextEdit is a good choice.

• If you see the BookMacster icon in the left of the menubar, click it and "Show BookMacster".
• Reactivate some other application.  (This is to work around a long-standing bug in Mac OS X.)
• BookMacster should be in your Dock and ⌘-tab application switcher now.  Activate it.

If you see BookMacster's menu now, the proble is that you'd inadvertently switched on the Launch in Background preference.  This happens to me once in a while when I import a user's preference.  Usually takes about 5 minutes of head-scratching before I realize why!

BookMacster's Launch in Background really means it.  If you want to change it, click in the menu BookMacsterPreferences, then the General tab.

Let me know if this does not resolve the issue.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

chaz1397
Bookmacster won't startup, won't appear in menubar
Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I downloaded Bookmacster last night and just about had it working correctly when all of a sudden it stopped working completely. Now it won't open it all, though it still comes up in my activity monitor. I've tried trashing it and reinstalling it from a newly downloaded copy but this hasn't worked after several attempts. I have also tried what was recommended in a recent thread - BookMacster Invisible; No Menu, etc. - to no avail.

Can anyone help?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint