Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Newbie questions (Read 11040 times)
ngc4900
Re: Newbie questions
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
"Hello again, Joe.  First of all, that .bkmslf file is not BookMacster "itself".  BookMacster "itself" is in your /Applications folder, not in your Dropbox.  What you're looking at there, .bkmslf files, are document files that contain your bookmarks".

Jerry, actually, what I was trying to say is that the BKMSLF is the datafile which BM creates, not the application file. Therefore since it is on dropbox, it is always being backed up...correct? I use DB a lot just for back up protection.

"There is always three columns.  You can change what attribute each of them shows by clicking on the column header.  It is a popup menu.  If you want less than three columns, drag the header dividers to the right, to collapse a column or two."

In regards to this question. I was wondering if you could have more than three columns and if you could sort the bookmarks by clicking the column header like most OSX software or spread sheets.
Thanks again.

Joe

IP Logged

ngc4900
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much Jerry. I really appreciate the help. Here is one more question:

I was wondering why a tag does not come up and autofill if it is already stored in the tag cloud. In the pic attached to this question. I want to assign the tag "generator" to the bookmark that appears in the inspector. You can see that the tag "generator" is in the tag cloud. So if the tag is already in the BM database, why wouldn't the tag fill in if you typed in the first few letters like "gen" in this case. I hope I have explained this correctly.
Thanks
Joe

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
ngc4900 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2012 at 7:43pm:
Why does BM make to BKMSLF files of itself.
Hello again, Joe.  First of all, that .bkmslf file is not BookMacster "itself".  BookMacster "itself" is in your /Applications folder, not in your Dropbox.  What you're looking at there, .bkmslf files, are document files that contain your bookmarks.

A .bkmslf file with # on the end of its name is one that BookMacster found some minor issue with when it was last opened.  BookMacster silently fixed the issue and re-saved the file, but copied the old version to the # file, as a safety precaution, in case the repairs went awry and, for example deleted some bookmarks.  You should keep # files around for a while and then delete them.  I see that the # file in your Dropbox was created earlier today.

ngc4900 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2012 at 6:56pm:
Does having it stored in dropbox have anything to do with this?
No.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the questions, Joe.

1. BM has to be running at all times to accept bookmarks correct? Even if you use hot keys correct?
Yes, although there is a PreferenceGeneral to Launch in Background.  Remember if you switch that on though, because the only way to do more than set and visit bookmarks is by clicking the BookMacster icon in the menu bar.  It's easy to forget that by next week.  Also, once you Show BookMacster, you cannot put it back into the background.

2. Is the Tag Cloud column always visible or is here a way to hide/unhide it?
Grab the window pane divider between the two panes and drag it all the way to the left.

3. How do you delete tags? Do you have to go to every bookmark that has the tag you want deleted and delete it from the bookmark or can you simple delete the tag from the tag cloud?
In recent versions (1.12+), you can select and delete tags in the tag cloud.  There are also other ways.  This little video shows a few tricks.  http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bkmx/movies/tags-change/.  You can also drag tags onto bookmarks, drag bookmarks on to tags.

4. I am not sure what "hard" vs "soft" folders mean.
Hard folders are those required by web browsers which you may not delete.  For example, Safari has three Hard folders: Bookmarks Bar, Bookmarks Menu and Reading List.  If you want you can move all items out of these hard folders and then "delete" them by switching off their checkboxes in the tab SettingsStructure.  This may be desirable if you're not regularly syncing with (exporting to) web browsers; that is, if you are using BookMacster directly, as it seems that you probably are.  Soft folders are folders that you have created and can delete with a keystroke.

5. Is there a way to visit the bookmark while your are surfing in Safari for example without having to interrupt what you are doing and go to BM searching for and clicking on the bookmark?
Well, you need to interact with BookMacster somehow in order to tell it which bookmark you want to visit.  The Anywhere Menu which is popped up by the global keyboard shortcut is the least obtrusive, and also the least obtrusive which I can imagine.  Other options are the status menulet, or performing a secondary click on the dock menu.  With all three ways, you get the same hierarchical menu of your bookmarks.

6.  Just about all broken links verified by BM to be broken  seem to work when I visit them, is this possible?
That is odd.  Describe that a little better please.  Maybe post or send us a screenshot.

7. Also Please see attached pic.for another question better show on a graphic.
There is always three columns.  You can change what attribute each of them shows by clicking on the column header.  It is a popup menu.  If you want less than three columns, drag the header dividers to the right, to collapse a column or two.

I really like the software, but it is one of the most feature-filled and comphrehensive bookmark manager I have ever seen. I say that in a good way.  Smiley
Yes, it is like three apps in one, and a little daunting for people who only want one third.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

ngc4900
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Hello again
Why does BM make to BKMSLF files of itself. Does having it stored in dropbox have anything to do with this? See attached pic.
Thanks
Joe

screenshot_531.jpg ( 327 KB | 360 Downloads )
screenshot_531.jpg

IP Logged

ngc4900
Newbie questions
Nov 23rd, 2012 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hi I had few questions (new user here)

1. BM has to be running at all times to accept bookmarks correct? Even if you use hot keys correct?
2. Is the Tag Cloud column always visible or is here a way to hide/unhide it?
3. How do you delete tags? Do you have to go to every bookmark that has the tag you want deleted and delete it from the bookmark or can you simple delete the tag from the tag cloud?
4. I am not sure what "hard" vs "soft" folders mean.
5. Is there a way to visit the bookmark while your are surfing in Safari for example without having to interrupt what you are doing and go to BM searching for  and clicking on the bookmark?
6.  Just about all broken links verified by BM to be broken  seem to work when I visit them, is this possible?
7. Also Please see attached pic.for another question better show on a graphic.

I have been reading both the online documentation and the forums. Please bear with me, once I master the learning curve, I will bug you less and less

Thanks so much for your help. I really like the software, but it is one of the most feature-filled and comphrehensive bookmark manager I have ever seen. I say that in a good way.  Smiley

Joe

screenshot_530.jpg ( 237 KB | 319 Downloads )
screenshot_530.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint