Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic BookMacster operation with 2000+ bookmarks (Read 2927 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster operation with 2000+ bookmarks
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
xABD wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:13pm:
So, can I create a folder arrangement like this in BookMacster?
Yes.  One of the good (and bad) things about BookMacster is that it is three apps in one.  If you look at the wrong set of features, you might think it's the wrong app.

We mitigate this by describing three Usage Styles…

• Usage Style 1   Keep Safari bookmarks alphabetized
• Usage Style 2   Keep browsers' internal bookmarks in sync with each other
• Usage Style 3   Keep bookmarks in one central store; forget browsers' internal bookmarks.

What you're describing is Usage Style 3.  You can get the bookmarks out of your old bookmarks manager by either exporting to an .xbel file, or exporting to a the internal bookmarks of a web browser.  Create an empty Bookmarkshelf document with no Clients.  BookMacster can import those by clicking in the menu: File ▸ Import from one Client.  (Not really a Client in your case, but it works the same.)

As far as 2000 bookmarks and 5 levels deep, that's about average for a serious bookmarker.  No problem.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:54pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

xABD
BookMacster operation with 2000+ bookmarks
Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for a replacement bookmark manager. So far, I've not been able to confirm that BookMacster does what I want. I have not used ANY browser's bookmarking function for literally decades! But my current bookmark manager keeps my 2100+ bookmarks (plus the last 1,000 sites visited) available in any app I use (the bookmarks are accessed via the Menubar), usually even any new browser I might decide to try out.

In other words, it appears that BookMacster reads each browser's bookmarks and consolidates them in one menu. Unfortunatley, I have a hierarchical system with folders about 5 layers deep, they are not tied to any one browser, they are arranged in folders that I choose/create and name and are duplicated in many places since 'tags' are not used; a folder is the 'tag.'

So, can I create a folder arrangement like this in BookMacster?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint