Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Chrome opens and then closes, all by itself (Read 16481 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Chrome opens and then closes, all by itself
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 1:51am
Print Post  
[quote author=52575E5A5D330 link=1363468399/3#3 date=1363485046]Michael, closing of Chrome's open tabs was was supposedly fixed in a BookMacster update a couple months ago.  I just retested it and it worked for me…

• Bookmarkshelf document syncing Safari and Chrome.
• Open 4 tabs in Google Chrome.
• Sign in to Google.
• Change a bookmark in Safari.
• Wait 6 minutes.  BookMacster imports the change from Safari, launches Chrome momentarily, exports the changes to Chrome.
• Launch Google Chrome.

EXPECTED RESULT:
4 tabs are still open.

ACTUAL RESULT:
4 tabs are still open

Is that not working for you?  Also, I'm still wondering if you're updated to BookMacster 1.13.6.

And thanks for the follow-up.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Michael, closing of Chrome's open tabs was was supposedly fixed in a BookMacster update a couple months ago.  I just retested it and it worked for me…

• Bookmarkshelf document syncing Safari and Chrome.
• Open 4 tabs in Google Chrome.
• Sign in to Google.
• Change a bookmark in Safari.
• Wait 6 minutes.  BookMacster imports the change from Safari, launches Chrome momentarily, exports the changes to Chrome.
• Launch Google Chrome.

EXPECTED RESULT:
4 tabs are still open.

ACTUAL RESULT:
4 tabs are still open

Is that not working for you?  Also, I'm still wondering if you're updated to BookMacster 1.13.6.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

michaelg04
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post  
the problem with this, is when i have 20 tabs open i want restored next time i launch it.  if it's closed, for whatever reason bookmacster breaks the current session, and all my tabs are gone.  so, if i ever close chrome, bookmacster ruins my day LOL

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hello, Michael.

This will happen if you an Agent configured to export to Chrome, and, in Chrome's preferences, you have signed in to a Google account.  Whenever you add a bookmark in another browser, BookMacster needs to launch Chrome in order that Chrome's syncing system accept the new bookmark and push it into the Google cloud.  Actually, BookMacster tells Chrome to launch in the background, but I myself have seen that either Mac OS X or Chrome sometimes does not obey that part of the message, and it opens a window momentarily anyhow.

You are correct that this compatibility with Chrome's syncing is a new feature, and we appreciate your feedback in making it work. 

First of all, make sure you've updated to BookMacster 1.13.6 which was published on March 12.  Then, do one of the following…
  • If you are not using Google Chrome on other devices, turn off Chrome's syncing with Google.  To do this, in Chrome's preferences, either Disconnect your Google account, or at least click Advanced Sync Settings and switch off Bookmarks.  With this change, BookMacster will no longer feel the need to launch Chrome if it is not running.
  • Keep Chrome running, hidden.  To do that, launch Chrome and click in the menu ChromeHide Google Chrome.  The logic here is that if it is already running, BookMacster will not need to be launch it, and if you launched it, BookMacster would not quit it when the sync was done.
Maybe it would be better if, for your use case, BookMacster could leave Chrome running after launching it for the first time.  Then you wouldn't need to launch it yourself if you chose the second option.

Let me know how this works for you.  Do you already have BookMacster 1.13.6?

Thank you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

michaelg04
Chrome opens and then closes, all by itself
Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
bookmacster seems to get worse for chrome with every release.  now i'm sitting at my desk, using firefox because bookmacster just doesnt work with chrome right for a long long time now.  i'll see chrome open in the foreground, disrupting my work, then closes a few seconds later.  and this repeats all day long.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint