Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Opera 15 (Read 8891 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Opera 15
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Auto-Update is apparently working as predicted, because today I magically have Opera Next 15.0.1147.62.  However, still no Bookmarks menu or menu item that I can see.  There is a "Bookmark Importer" which offers to convert two bookmarks to Speed Dial.  I have no idea where they got those two bookmarks from.  In Opera 12 I have a thousand bookmarks.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Opera's block states that the latest version of Opera Next, 15.0.1147.56, supports auto-update.  We'll see.  No bookmarks yet!!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Craiglea wrote on Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:24pm:
What does that [error] indicate?
Good question.  When BookMacster cannot access a file required to import or export, it goes into a try harder routine.  It's rarely used, but appears to have been broken somewhere in BookMacster version 1.14.x.  It's fixed for 1.15.3, but you have 1.15.2.  But if this bug were not there, it still wouldn't have worked for Opera 15.  It would have given you a better-explained error, though.

BookMacster 1.15.3 will be published after we get done with another fix that is going to be needed later this month, for Firefox 22.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Craiglea
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
The other question I have concerns the error message when I tried to export an Opera bookmarks file. What does that indicate?

IP Logged

Craiglea
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks of that explanation Jerry.

As a bit of an aside, Opera is a browser I would really like to see have a bit more success. I remember running it on BeOS and it was a revelation compared a NetPositive - a browser that probably only ten people remember now.

Cheers

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I just sent a message to Opera's bug reporter, explaining the issues and recommending that they use the Chromium bookmarking system.  We'll hope for the best.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2013 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Hello, Craig.  Thank you for the question.  There is definitely no way to export bookmarks to this beta version of Opera, because, amazingly, they released it without a bookmarks facility.  Activate it and look at its menu.  You see that between History and Window, there should be BookmarksIt's entirely missing.

Now I just read on some blogs that Opera plans to add Bookmarks back in.  Since the new Opera is based on Google's Chrome/Chromium, I sure hope that they're going to use Chromium's bookmarking system.  If they do, then we can can probably support this in BookMacster easily.  They've already announced that they're going to use Chromium's extension system, which is also nice, because then we can install our "Chromy" extension into Opera, and be able to sync Opera bookmarks while Opera is running, the way we can with Chrome now.

But, just thinking out loud, I'm worried that, if they were going to use Chromium's bookmarking system, why did they go to the trouble of removing it?  I mean, it's in the code they downloaded from Google.   Well, software engineering is full of gotchas, so it's impossible to say at this point why they did that.  If they go off on their own with something crazy, we will have to study it and consider whether or not to continue support for Opera.

But we can't do anything until Bookmarks appear in Opera Next.  If you continue to use Opera Next (which I presume will self-update once a week or so), and one day you see a Bookmarks menu appear, let us know, just in case it slips under our radar.  We'll want to have a look as soon as possible.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Craiglea
Opera 15
May 31st, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
I've just downloaded Opera 15 to have a play with it,and the Blink engine it uses. Is there anyway to export bookmarks to this browser?

I've tried doing an advanced file export to a create a file of OPera bookmarks but get the error message attached.

2013-05-31_09-16-44.png ( 72 KB | 331 Downloads )
2013-05-31_09-16-44.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint