Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Import bookmarks from URL Manager (Read 8330 times)
bigbone
Re: Import bookmarks from URL Manager
Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks, you are right. And I don't have to export the bookmarks before I'm sure everything is allright.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
bigbone wrote on Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:52am:
Thank you, it it as bit complicated at times, but I guess it'll all be worth the while and be pretty helpful if you get a grip on it.
Well, bigbone, merging two sets of bookmarks, which may each have a long story but may have lived half-way together for a while, is always a bit complicated.  Kind of like when two forty-year old people, each with a house full of stuff, get married.

BookMacster breaks it in to two steps (combine, delete dupes) so that you can have a look at it half way through.  Together with BookMacster's capability to Undo each step, we feel that this is much better than, say what happens when you click OK to the Merge? question after switching on Safari bookmarks syncing in iCloud.  Apple gives you only a vague explanation of what will happen (for example, no explanation of what happens to duplicates), and once you do it, there is no way to go back.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

bigbone
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Thank you, it it as bit complicated at times, but I guess it'll all be worth the while and be pretty helpful if you get a grip on it.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
bigbone wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:39pm:
Could you please explain what the dialogue  «Do a normal import, deleting existing items which are not matched» means?
The gory details are explained in the Help Book, but you don't really need to go there…

bigbone wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:39pm:
I want to keep all the NON-DUPLICATE bookmarks, specially the previously existing ones. To merge the 2 databases, so to say...  Which one do I choose?
Although most bookmarks managers do this important step with one click, BookMacster requires several steps.  The advantage is that you can understand and control what's going to happen.
  • Choose Overlay, so that nothing will be deleted.
  • After the import is complete, then click in the menu: Bookmarkskhelf[i] > [i]Find Duplicates.
  • Look at the report and decide if you want to delete the duplicates manually, so you can control which one gets deleted, or if there are are too many click Delete All.
If at any point the results are not what you wanted, Edit > Undo.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2013 at 1:30pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

bigbone
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mr Kinnock, this time it worked without stalling the app. Could you please explain what the dialogue «Do a normal import, deleting existing items which are not matched» means? I understand it such as Bookmacster imports from the XBEL file and deletes previously existing bookmarks that there is no match for in the bookmarks to be imported. But I want to keep all the NON-DUPLICATE bookmarks, specially the previously existing ones. To merge the 2 databases, so to say...

Which one do I choose?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
It still works for me, bigbone.  Please watch this screencast and let me know if there is any part which does not work for you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2013 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Hello bigbone,

BookMacster's import from XBEL worked for me the last time I tried it.  Hang on for an hour or so.  I'll re-test and post detailed instructions.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

bigbone
Import bookmarks from URL Manager
May 25th, 2013 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Is there a way to import bookmarks from the app URL Manager Pro? Direct import is not possible. Nor does it work to export the bookmarks as an html or an XBEL file and the import that into Bookmacster (latest version).

OS X 10.7.5

Thanks for any hints!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint