Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Consolidating bookmarks (Read 6736 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Consolidating bookmarks
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:48am
Print Post  
The improved coordination with Firefox Sync which I'd added as a to-do item above in Reply #1, along with a setting for users who would rather that syncs be more – or less – coordinated, has been added in BookMacster 1.19.6 which was published yesterday.

This new control and the logic behind it are explained in the Help Book.  If you go there, be sure to read the last paragraph, beginning with But you can make all of the above moot.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
SamR wrote on Aug 7th, 2013 at 1:58pm:
xmarks … turn it off … when is the best time to do it?
Now Smiley

I'd assumed you were using Xmarks to sync to browsers/devices which the combination of BookMacster + iCloud/Safari does not reach, such as Internet Explorer running in Microsoft Windows  Cheesy

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SamR
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Thank you Jerry. Since I will be using BookMaster as the central repository of my bookmarks, I assume I will no longer need xmarks and I can turn it off. If so, when is the best time to do it?

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Good questions, Sam.

The short answer to all of your questions is:  Usually you can just export, but because Xmarks has been involved previously, it would be better to do the housecleaning.

Here's the long answer…

• Deleting all of the built-in ("local") bookmarks in both browsers is not necessary because BookMacster will do that when you click Bookmarkshelf > Export.

• If iCloud is currently behaving itself (updating among your devices), you don't need to switch off iCloud/Safari syncing.  However, if you ever used Xmarks for Safari, there is a chance that there may be at least a few orphaned records in iCloud or Safari, which might result in more horrendous trouble after you export many changes.  Therefore, if you've ever used Xmarks for Safari, it would be a good idea to rebuild your iCloud bookmarks first (which changes my answer in the previous section, because it requires deleting all of your Safari bookmarks).

• Regarding Xmarks for Firefox, the answer is that doesn't matter if you turn it off and back on later, or just leave it on; it will probably do the same thing either way, as long as Firefox is running during the export.  BookMacster may advise you to quit Firefox to save time, but don't.  However, since I don't know how Xmarks for Firefox works, again, it would be better to delete all of your bookmarks from Xmarks (and, consequently, Firefox) before proceeding.

• Although we tested BookMacster with Xmarks for Firefox a long time ago, we've done more recent testing with Firefox Sync, and I would recommend using the built-in Firefox Sync instead of Xmarks.  Warning: Complexity ahead…  Neither Xmarks for Firefox nor Firefox Sync will see the changes occur if Firefox is not running.  Although long ago we found that this Xmarks had the capability to catch up later, Firefox Sync does not, which is why BookMacster launches Firefox prior to an export, but only if Firefox Sync is in use.  However, if Firefox is not running, even if Xmarks catches up later, changes will not be synced to your other devices until the next time Firefox is launched.  Hmmm.  We should probably have a setting in BookMacster to always launch Firefox before exporting to it, for Xmarks users.  I've just added that to our to-do list.

• Just to be clear, when you say set the two browsers to sync with BookMaster, that is done in BookMacster, by hitting the Syncing button in the toolbar so it turns green.

• Finally, regarding not messing up the work you just did, remember that if you have Mac OS 10.7 or later, even if something dumps a load a crap on one of your browsers, and BookMacster dutifully imports the crap, you can always restore to a previous bookmarks by using the Auto Save and Versions feature of Mac OS X, and then exporting from BookMacster back out to the browsers.  If you're on an earlier Mac OS X, you can still do it, with a Time Machine or other backup of that .bkmslf file.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

SamR
Consolidating bookmarks
Aug 6th, 2013 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I am setting BookMacster as central bookmarks store. I copied all the local bookmarks in Safari and in Firefox onto a single bookmarshelf file and spent several hours organizing folders, removing duplicates and verifying them. Should I now delete all local bookmarks for both browsers and discontinue their synchronization with iCloud and xmarks (correspondingly), before I set the two browsers to sync with BookMaster in order not to mess up the work I just did?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint