Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) BookMacster doesn't sync at all (Read 25944 times)
EllenH
Re: BookMacster doesn't sync at all
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:38pm:
ISSUE 1.

In BookMacster, click in the menu: BookMacster > Manage Browser Add-Ons, and in the upper line for "Firefox", verify that extension version 297 is installed and indicates success when you click the "Test" button.

Test indicats success.

Next, in your document ellen-01.bkmslf, click Settings > Clients.  Verify that Safari, Firefox and Chrome are listed and in particular that the "Import" checkbox is switched on for Firefox.

They are all listed and the "Import" checkbox is switched on for Firefox. For Safari and Chrome I just checked "Export" for now.

Finally, if all that's OK, I just posted a 2 min 41 sec video on YouTube showing how it works when I delete a bookmark in Firefox.  The video also shows how you can open the Logs window to see what is going on.  Maybe you could please watch this video and see what is not happening.  In particular, do you get the message in the logs that a job was "staged".

I watched the video and did exactly as you did. I deleted a bookmark in Firefox and absolutely nothing happened in BookMacster. The log file did not change although I clicked the refresh button a few times. And of course, the deleted bookmark is still there in Safari and Chrome.

ISSUE 3.
Although we have some fairly aggressive anti-spam settings, so I don't need to sit here and delete spam all day, most of the time it's not that bad.  You're welcome to email support@sheepsystems.com.  You will get the same prompt attention.

I understand. I usually write my post in Textedit and then paste it to the forum input text area. I think that may have been the problem.  I'm writing it directly in the text area now and will see how it goes.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 5:55am
Print Post  
I have another answer…

ISSUE 2.

Yes, this can happen if your New Bookmark Landing is set to Root (which is the default New Bookmark Landing in Settings > General), and BookMacster exports before you click the little Move… link in the Inspector to move the new bookmark where you want it.  It will be exported to where you want it during the next export, which is probably when you land the next bookmark, or of course if you export manually.

Export to Clients whenever a new bookmark is landed is a new feature in BookMacster 1.19.8, and this is a rough edge that we worked on smoothing out today for the next version, BookMacster 1.19.9.  Here's what we're now testing for 1.19.9: The export will occur after you close the Inspector window, or 60 seconds, whichever comes first.  If you close the document before either of these, however, it won't export until the next time you open the document and export for some other reason.   We don't want to delay document closing by, potentially, tens of seconds, which can occur if there are many clients.

We're thinking that BookMacster 1.19.9 will be published later this week.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow-up, Ellen.  So we've got three issues…

1.  Bookmark deleted in Firefox not being synced to other browsers.
2.  Bookmark landed into the Toolbar in BookMacster gets synced into Unsorted in Firefox, Other in Chrome, and Root in Safari.
3.  Forum anti-spam settings are annoying.

ISSUE 1.

I just tested this myself and it works fine for me.  Let's check a couple more things.

In BookMacster, click in the menu: BookMacster > Manage Browser Add-Ons, and in the upper line for "Firefox", verify that extension version 297 is installed and indicates success when you click the "Test" button.

Next, in your document ellen-01.bkmslf, click Settings > Clients.  Verify that Safari, Firefox and Chrome are listed and in particular that the "Import" checkbox is switched on for Firefox.

Finally, if all that's OK, I just posted a 2 min 41 sec video on YouTube showing how it works when I delete a bookmark in Firefox.  The video also shows how you can open the Logs window to see what is going on.  Maybe you could please watch this video and see what is not happening.  In particular, do you get the message in the logs that a job was "staged".

ISSUE 2.

I shall try to reproduce and get back to you.

ISSUE 3.

Although we have some fairly aggressive anti-spam settings, so I don't need to sit here and delete spam all day, most of the time it's not that bad.  You're welcome to email support@sheepsystems.com.  You will get the same prompt attention.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2013 at 5:58am by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your reply. Here's the situation today.

Since I was having problems with iCloud sync I followed the very clear instructions on page:
"rebuilding-icloud-bookmarks.html" (the system doesn't allow me to post links...)

The bookmarks are all in Safari after the export from BookMacster and also in Firefox and Chrome.

While waiting for iCloud to wake up, I deleted a bookmark from Firefox. After much longer than 5 minutes, nothing happened at all. The bookmark is still there in the content page of BookMacster. And of course it is still there in browsers other than Firefox.

I then added a bookmark using the menu item "Add & Inspect" that was obviously put there by the BookMacster  extension. Immediately, BookMacster (which was open) activated and the bookmark appeared there in the correct folder. It took a while but it finally appeared in the browsers, but not in the folder where it was placed in BookMacster, that is, a folder in the Bookmarks toolbar. It is in Unsorted Bookmarks in Firefox, at the top level of Other Bookmarks in Chrome, and at the root level in Safari.

In the meantime, iCloud synced the Safari bookmarks to my iPads and iPhone. But of course, the new bookmark isn't placed where it should be.

I added a bookmark in Firefox, using "Bookmark this page". The bookmark was added to Firefox but not to BookMacster, and not to the other browsers either, obviously.

So, as far as I can see, deleting or adding bookmarks in Firefox, using the browser's commands doesn't trigger BookMacster. Using the specific menu item does, but although it is placed correctly in BookMacster, the sync just places it in the default position of each browser.

I don't suppose this is the expected behavior. Or is it?

Thanks,

EllenH

P.S. I'm having a lot of trouble (and wasting a lot of time) posting here. Either I am too fast, or I post a link when I shouldn't, or I try again after a delay that is too short... (all I did was remove the link). I've been using forums since they exist and this is the first time I've encountered such restrictions. I'm afraid I won't be posting much more... if I can even manage to post this message!

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Hello, Ellen

First of all, by design, BookMacster syncs slowly.  Make sure you waited 5 minutes before expecting results.  You can speed it up in Preferences > Syncing, with the top popup.

Second, make sure that the Firefox extension got installed.  Activate Firefox and click in the menu: Tools > Add-Ons, and make sure Sheep Systems Firefox Extension 297 is listed.  If not, activate BookMacster and install it in BookMacster > Manage Browser Add-Ons.

Let me know, and we'll continue.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
BookMacster doesn't sync at all
Dec 9th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
I have installed BookMacster (trial period) and imported my bookmarks.
I can change things in Firefox and import the changes manually to BookMacster, and also export the bookmarks to Safari and Chrome.

But sync doesn't seem to work although I think I have set things up correctly.
Any change I make in Firefox does not appear in the content tab of BookMacster, and doesn't sync to any other browser.

What should I do?

Ellen

P.S Using Mac OS X 10.8.5 and BookMacster 1.19.8

Screen_Shot_2013-12-09_at_15_23_36.png ( 110 KB | 333 Downloads )
Screen_Shot_2013-12-09_at_15_23_36.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint