Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) BookMacster doesn't sync at all (Read 25948 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: BookMacster doesn't sync at all
Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
We've found and fixed another issue which could have been causing this problem.  Our Firefox extension was using a shortcut method to determine the name of the Profile, and we've identified a rare case, possibly the case here, where our shortcut was giving the wrong answer.

We’ve just published a new version of BookMacster, version 1.20.1, which contains version 311 of our Firefox extension, which gets the profile name the long way.  Thus it gets the correct answer, and hence bookmarks changes in Firefox for that profile are detected.

BookMacster 1.20.1 is an “alpha” release because doing it the long way required rearranging some working code that is shared with BookMacster itself, and also 1.20.1 contains a few other new little goodies.  This web page explains how to get it.  So far, it looks good because two out of two users have reported success.

Anyone still having issues with BookMacster detecting changes in Firefox bookmarks please give it a try and let us know if there's any more trouble.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2014 at 10:03pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #19 - Dec 28th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
The little test tool which I promised a couple of posts ago in this thread is now available, except we decided to build it into the next version of BookMacster instead of making it stand alone.  Anyone who is having the issue of changes in Firefox now has a third tool to troubleshoot the problem, in BookMacster 1.20 or later.  BookMacster 1.20 is now available on our alpha channel.

To review, the tools are…
  • Make sure that you're waiting 1-5 minutes, depending on your setting in Preferences > Syncing > Minutes to wait…
  • Click in the menu: BookMacster > Manage Browser Add-Ons and test the relevant browser extension.
  • If that works OK, update to BookMacster 1.20 or later and click the More Tests… button at the bottom of the window and follow the instructions which appear.
If you find something inexplicable you need to send to us from that final test, click the Copy to clipboard button, to copy the test results log to your clipboard, and then paste it into your email or whatever.

Oh, BookMacster 1.20 or later will also show you if you're using a defunct Firefox or Chrome profile, by indicating its name in red in Settings > Clients.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 7:52am
Print Post  
I learned today that if you hit the Reset Firefox… button in Firefox, Firefox deletes the current profile and creates a new one which has a different name than the original profile name.  If you had created a Client referencing this profile in BookMacster, BookMacster does not know about the new profile, and continues referencing the original Firefox profile, which no longer exists.  Bookmarks changes will therefore go undetected.

To verify that you have this issue, click to your Settings > Clients tab and click the Firefox client.  If the selected client (the one with the checkmark to the left of it) is at the bottom of the list, as in the attached screenshot, it is referring to a deleted Firefox profile which no longer exists, and therefore this Client will not import from, export to, or detect changes from Firefox as you expect.  To fix it,

• Scroll up to one of the current, existing Firefox profiles (there could be more than one), which appears alphabetically above Google Bookmarks, and select it.

• Click the popup again, and verify that the deleted Firefox profile, which was at the bottom of the list, is gone.

• If you are syncing, click the Syncing button in the toolbar to Pause syncing.

• If there is a backlog of new bookmarks in Firefox which you want to import, click in the menu: File > Import from only > Firefox.

• If desired, click the Syncing button in the toolbar to Resume syncing.

DefunctFirefoxProfile.png ( 75 KB | 358 Downloads )
DefunctFirefoxProfile.png

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #17 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Ellen,

If this does not turn out to be a mixup in Firefox profiles, as I suggested in my previous message, let's do two things.

• Please run the Trouble Zipper and send us the report.  The logs may contain some clues.  Changing a bookmark in Firefox just prior to running Trouble Zipper, so that we'll have a record of what happens, or not, may be helpful.  Tell us in your email if you did that, and at what time so we can correlate with the time stamps in the logs.

• We'll make a little Firefox Extension Tester tool which goes beyond beyond what the Test button in the Manage Browser Add-Ons window does.

Let us know at your convenience.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #16 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I think we would have discovered this by previous means, but, while I'm thinking about this issue, make sure that the Firefox profile indicated in your BookMacster Clients list is the same as the one you expect bookmarks changes to be detected from.

Also, go a little further…

• Activate your .bkmslf document
• Click the tab: Settings > Clients.
• Click the popup in the list which currently indicates Firefox (whatever-profile).
• Note all of the Firefox profiles presented in the popup menu.

Make sure that this set of profiles matches the set you see in firefox-bin -p, Profile Manager, or whatever tool you use to manage Firefox profiles, and also that these are the profiles match what you think you have.

Long ago, I submitted a bug to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org requesting a straightforward way to determine the current Firefox profile.  Sadly, the "improvement" they gave us is this:

• Activate Firefox.
• Click in the menu: Help > Troubleshooting Information.
• Under Application Basics, click Profile Folder > Show in Finder.
• Read the name of the folder which displays and is selected in Finder.
• If it begins with 8 random characters and a "dot" (.), ignore them.
• What remains is the name of the currently-running profile.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #15 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Ellen.  I've been thinking about what to do next.  I'll be back when I have the best answer.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Here's an update.
I disabled all Firefox plugins. Didn't fix.

I created a new Firefox profile. Didn't fix.

I reset Firefox to its default state. Didn't fix.

I removed all the preference files (org.mozilla.xxxx) and removed all Firefox's stuff from Application Support to start over. Didn't fix.

Of course, each time I started with a new Firefox I reinstalled the BM extension and configured it and everything. I got all the bookmarks into Firefox and still no sync at all, either for deleting or for adding.

BUT THEN.... I installed BM on my MacBook Air (where I use Firefox and Safari) and... everything works fine on the first try.

So, the problem is not with Firefox, and not with BookMacster, but with something specific to my desktop Mac.

I'm not sure sending you a Trouble Zipper will help, considering the above. But if you really think it will, I'll do it.

Ellen

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
It looks like you know what you are doing, and have done all the correct things.  BookMacster has a built-in tool that will send us your logs, settings and other data as you prescribe.  Maybe there will be some clues in there, or possibly with enough of your data I can reproduce the problem.  Please activate BookMacster and click in the menu: Help > Trouble Zipper.  It will tell you how it works.

Thanks for your persistence!

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I had already done that (pause and resume sync) a number of times and nothing had changed, but I did it again while watching the log file and the LaunchAgents folder.

The two plists disappeared and reappeared. The log file was updated when I replied to the dialog asking if BM should export or not.

But after that, the problem is still present. Deleting and adding bookmarks in Firefox does nothing in BM (unless I use the Add Quickly or Add & Inspect menu items).

Any other idea?

Ellen

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Ellen.

I understand the problem, which is that either the Firefox extension is not notifying the Mac OS X Agent, or the Agent is ignoring the signal and not starting a BookMaster Worker.

Well, it still works fine for me, so I'm going to have to work on it some more.

Here is one thing that might "fix" it, inexplicably

• Open ellen-01.bkmslf in BookMacster
• Click the "Syncing" button in the toolbar to "Pause" syncing.  (Red exclamation point appears)
• Click it again to restart syncing (green dot appears)

This will destroy, reinstall and reload the Agents.  Does that "fix" the problem of no action when you add in internal bookmark in Firefox?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #10 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I had already done the test you describe and had said it was a success in my first reply. But I did it again now and it gives the same positive result as you can see in the screen shot below.

While I was at it I deleted two bookmarks in Firefox in different places and watched the log file (and refreshed it). Nothing happened at all.

I added a bookmark using the Firefox menu item "Bookmark this page". Nothing happened.

I added a second bookmark using the "Add quickly" menu item placed by BookMacster and, immediately, the log file came to life and added a bunch of lines starting at "Will export all":

2013-12-12 17:31:24      BkMrWk      4859      Ignored spurious ellen-01.bkmslf (0 change files)
2013-12-12 17:44:29      BkMxtr      4845      Will export all
2013-12-12 17:44:32      BkMxtr      4845      Firefox Export: Merging content
2013-12-12 17:44:33      BkMxtr      4845      Will write to Firefox in style 2
2013-12-12 17:44:36      BkMxtr      4845      Safari Export: Merging content
2013-12-12 17:44:37      BkMxtr      4845      Will write to Safari in style 1
2013-12-12 17:44:38      BkMxtr      4845      Chrome Export: Merging content
2013-12-12 17:44:39      BkMxtr      4845      Will write to Chrome in style 1
2013-12-12 17:44:41      BkMxtr      4845      Chrome Canary Export: Merging content
2013-12-12 17:44:42      BkMxtr      4845      Will write to Chrome Canary in style 1
2013-12-12 17:44:42      BkMxtr      4845      Will save changes in BkmxDoc:   +1   (Δ↖↕)2   -0
2013-12-12 17:44:42      BkMxtr      4845      Did save ellen-01.bkmslf EB05 token=2013-12-12 17:44:42.609

The new bookmark was correctly exported to Chrome and Safari (at the default position).

So, I'm still at the same point. What is the next step?

Thanks,

Ellen

Screen_Shot_2013-12-12_at_17_33_31.png ( 82 KB | 396 Downloads )
Screen_Shot_2013-12-12_at_17_33_31.png

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
EllenH wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:23am:
Is the new version supposed to fix my main problem, the one you referred to as "issue 1" ?. Please see my reply #5 above for the details.
No, the new version will not fix issue 1.  Sorry I missed that part of the reply.

I did the test and watched the video. Everything seems OK but nothing happens in BookMacster when I delete a bookmark in Firefox or when I add one in my usual manner. The log file stays unchanged.
Test the Firefox extension?  In my first post, I advised you to check if Firefox thought it was installed but I should have said to test it.  Activate BookMacster and click in the menu: BookMacster > Manage Browser Add-Ons, then click the appropriate "Test" button.   If it fails, (re)-"Install".

The way I add a bookmark is, as I described, by simply dragging the selected url into a folder in my toolbar which is just beneath it. I have about eight folders listed horizontally in the toolbar.
That's kind of weird but, as you say, it should work.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall everything and start over.
No, don't do that.  This is a Mac, not a Windows PC.  Data is not contained in applications.  Unless there is some indication that there is something missing in the app, reinstalling an app just introduces more variables.

Let us know how it goes with the Firefox extension.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Is the new version supposed to fix my main problem, the one you referred to as "issue 1" ?. Please see my reply #5 above for the details.

I did the test and watched the video. Everything seems OK but nothing happens in BookMacster when I delete a bookmark in Firefox or when I add one in my usual manner. The log file stays unchanged.

The way I add a bookmark is, as I described, by simply dragging the selected url into a folder in my toolbar which is just beneath it. I have about eight folders listed horizontally in the toolbar. My most used bookmarks are in these folders where they are easy to access in one move. No need to mouse around with submenus. All the bookmarks in a folder can also be opened at once in one easy step. Most of the other methods are much more cumbersome and some need accessing nested submenus, which is a pain (literally). This method adds bookmarks just like any other method so I don't think it has anything to do with my problem.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall everything and start over. Obviously my problem is specific to me (although I did find one thread here that goes back a while with a similar problem).

Thanks,

Ellen

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
EllenH wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 11:20am:
I used the "Add & Inspect" menu item and put the bookmark in the right place immediately.
Well, BookMacster is probably faster than you in this regard.  We're getting it fixed.

Question: does adding bookmarks only work if I use the two menu items added by BookMacster or should adding them in other ways work too. I frequently add bookmarks to my Bookmarks Toolbar in Firefox by just dragging the bookmark to the folder. Should this work?
I think what you mean is that you're dragging the globe icon, or the URL text, from the address bar in, say, Firefox to either the BookMacster document window, or the Show all Bookmarks Library in Firefox.  The answer is that all these methods will work, but a little differently.
  • Click the Add Quickly or Add & Inspect menu item in Firefox, or the BookMacster Extension button in Google Chrome.   Using this method will add the bookmark to BookMacster directly, and because you have switched on Export to clients whenever a new bookmark is landed in your Settings > Agents, this new bookmark will then be exported to all of your browser Clients (a little too quickly in the current version of BookMacster).
  • Drag the URL or globe icon from the address bar in the browser to the Content in BookMacster.  .   This will add the bookmark to BookMacster directly, but will not initiate an export.  I do not recommend this.
  • Click in the browser's menu: Add Bookmark or Bookmark this Page    Using this method will add the bookmark to the browser's internal bookmarks, and because you have switched on Watch Local Clients and Import any Changes in your Settings > Agents, after a few minutes, this new bookmark will then be imported to BookMacster, and because you have further switched on Export to clients whenever changes are imported from a Local Client, it will then be exported to the internal bookmarks of all browsers listed for Export in your Clients.
For the sake of completeness, we also have
  • Clicking Add Here in BookMacster's Status Menulet, Dock Menu, or Floating Menu.  This works the same as Add Quickly or Add & Inspect et al.  They are all methods of what we call landing a new bookmark to Bookmacster directly.
  • More methods are listed in the table on this page.
Each web browser has its own internal bookmarks, and then there are the bookmarks in your BookMacster .bkmslf document.  So if you're using BookMacster with three web browsers, you've got four sets of bookmarks.  BookMacster accesses the browsers' internal bookmarks by Import and Export, which when done in succession constitute syncing.  I wish life wasn't so complicated, but this is the world we have.

A couple years ago, I was pushing the idea that people should forget about syncing the internal bookmarks in their web browsers, and even further, don't even use them.  Instead, send bookmarks to BookMacster directly, using it as a Central Store.  Fewer moving parts, one place to find all your bookmarks, easily available within any web browser using BookMacster's Status menulet, Dock Menu, or a global Keyboard Shortcut to show BookMacster's Floating Menu.  But then, Mobile Walled Gardens took over the world.  Apple released iCloud and Google released Sign In, and these are the only way to get bookmarks into Mobile Safari and Chrome on iOS, so people with mobile devices need to keep the internal bookmarks of Safari and/or Google Chrome in sync on their Macs, which are the gateways to the walled gardens in the cloud and on the mobile devices.  Firefox is more complicated, but this message is already TLDR.

By the way, I'm using version 1.19.8 but I saw in the video that your Preferences : General pane was not exactly identical to mine. Is that relevant?
No.  The next update of BookMacster you get will look like that video.

P.S. I'm not in trial period any more and have purchased a licence. I'm confident BookMacster will finally work for me... I'm totally impressed by the feedback you are giving me.
Thank you.

I was using XMarks (Premium) up till now (after having used FoxMarks for a long time). I finally got sufficiently annoyed to look for a replacement. And, believe me, I was VERY patient.
Xmarks users have been saints  Smiley

We hope to have BookMacster 1.19.9 out by the end of the week.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

EllenH
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on Dec 11th, 2013 at 5:55am:
I have another answer…
ISSUE 2.
Yes, this can happen if your New Bookmark Landing is set to Root (which is the default New Bookmark Landing in Settings > General), and BookMacster exports before you click the little Move… link in the Inspector to move the new bookmark where you want it.  It will be exported to where you want it during the next export, which is probably when you land the next bookmark, or of course if you export manually.

I'm not sure this applies to my situation, as I used the "Add & Inspect" menu item and put the bookmark in the right place immediately.

Question: does adding bookmarks only work if I use the two menu items added by BookMacster or should adding them in other ways work too. I frequently add bookmarks to my Bookmarks Toolbar in Firefox by just dragging the bookmark to the folder. Should this work?

By the way, I'm using version 1.19.8 but I saw in the video that your Preferences : General pane was not exactly identical to mine. Is that relevant?

P.S. I'm not in trial period any more and have purchased a licence. I'm confident BookMacster will finally work for me... I'm totally impressed by the feedback you are giving me. Just for the record: I was using XMarks (Premium) up till now (after having used FoxMarks for a long time). I finally got sufficiently annoyed to look for a replacement. And, believe me, I was VERY patient.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2013 at 4:42pm by EllenH »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint