Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 5 Replies) Chrome, Safari and right settings for Bookmacster (Read 12045 times)
Laxie
Re: Chrome, Safari and right settings for Bookmacster
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2024 at 5:56am
Print Post  
I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this created a new bookmark folder in Safari on your iPhone is a breeze. Here's how to do it:-
1. Open the Safari app.
2. Tap the Bookmarks icon. It looks like an open book.
3. Tap Edit in the bottom right corner.
4. Now, tap New Folder at the bottom left corner.
5. Give your new folder a descriptive name.
6. (Optional) Choose where you want to create this folder. By default, it goes to "Bookmarks," but you can select a different existing folder if you prefer.
7. Tap Done to save your new bookmark folder.
Follow for more details assistance below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJ-W08it44&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

IP Logged

fqm78
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Ok Jerry,
now it is all very clear and after some testing I can say that all is working as I desired. I can modify bookmarks where I want and the change propagates through the whole chain.

As a matter of fact, since the system got stability, it has been always perfect  Grin

Before, I had problems with Chrome. I had to be certain to have nullified bookmarks on: Mac, ipad, iphone, PC at work.
Otherwise I encountered that some bookmarks got duplicated and I could never get rid of some of that.
I repeated the steps more and more.
Sometimes, Chrome synced all the main folders but half were empty! I waited some days, hoping everything would take place. Now, magically, everything is ok!

Moreover, at work we have a proxy: when I activate Chrome access and sync, I've to wait 2-3 minutes before I can use internet regularly (neither IT people know why it happens). I do it when I want to send a cluster of bookmarks on the cloud and than to the other devices (to Chrome and to Safari, via Bookmacster on my Mac and iCloud).

After all, I still like using Safari and Chrome, for different goals.

Thank you very much,
have a good day and happy Easter

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Hello again, Francesco.  Thank you for the progress report.

fqm78 wrote on Mar 18th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
I guess that for these purposes I must not flag "Delete unmatched items" on the exporting options of both Agents. Neither for the import process (otherwise new bookmars got from the first would be deleted by the import process of the second).
Hello again, Francesco.  I understand that you have thought deeply about how syncing must work.  However, we have thought deeply about it also Smiley

Delete unmatched items will not delete new items.  Here are the reasons why:

• During Imports, Delete unmatched items runs only once, after all Clients have been imported, and only bookmarks which have not been matched in ANY client are deleted.  Therefore, new bookmarks will not be deleted.  Also, when you add a bookmark in, say, Safari, only Safari is imported.  Chrome is not imported.

• During exports, Delete unmatched items will only delete items which are not presently existing in the BookMacster document.  This is what you want.

Therefore, by default BookMacster switches all Delete unmatched items ON (flagged), because this gives the syncing that most users want.

Since I want to reorder uncategorized bookmarks into old and new soft folders (with often a couple of child folders) and make some other adjustments (not so hard) to rearrange many old bookmarks in the new and lighter structure I've created, and I'd like to do it in Chrome (and be able to do it in the future), the last question is:  will these operations be understood by Bookmacster since they're completed in the browser?  Or, since it is not checked "Delete unmatched items" neither for importing nor for exporting phase, I'll get doubled folders or stuff like that?
If you leave Delete unmatched items switched OFF, then you will get doubled folders and stuff like that.  If you switch the  Delete unmatched items checkboxes back ON, then the changes you make in Safari or Chrome will be imported by BookMacster.  However, we do not recommend doing significant reorderings and rearrangements, which we call "housecleaning", in browsers while BookMacster is syncing.  The reasons are…

• BookMacster will periodically interrupt your work when it syncs bookmarks.  This will be annoying to you.

• If you make changes while BookMacster is syncing, BookMacster will need to sync again.  This will be more annoying to you.

• If the numbers of changes you make between syncs exceeds the Safe Sync Limits, BookMacster will ask you to confirm whether you want to make so many changes.  This will be annoying too.

• With all the syncing and annoyances, some intended bookmarks changes may be overwritten.

For these reason, we recommend the following procedure for doing significant housecleaning in a synced BookMacster document:

• Open your document in BookMacster.

• Click the Syncing button in the toolbar, to Pause syncing.

• Do your reorderings and arrangements in BookMacster.

• Click the Syncing button in the toolbar, to Resume syncing.  BookMacster will prompt you to Export.

• Click the Export button.

• Close the document and quit BookMacster.

I understood that Bookmacster algorithm is very fine and assigns hash to bookmarks, so it could do the job...
Indeed syncing is tricky and there are many other little tweaks in the algorithm which we have finely tuned over a period of years, to give the syncing results that users expect.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

fqm78
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2014 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Ok,
I have now a good Bookmacster file. Deleted a lot of duplicated bookmarks, verified bookmarks, consolidated and collapsed folders.
I'm exporting it to Chrome and Safari, and setting Agents to:

-get new bookmarks I land in Chrome
-get new bookmarks I land in Safari

I guess that for these purposes I must not flag "Delete unmatched items" on the exporting options of both Agents. Neither for the import process (otherwise new bookmars got from the first would be deleted by the import process of the second).
It should work properly.

Now, there's still the last issue: setting the flux.
Since I want to reorder uncategorized bookmarks into old and new soft folders (with often a couple of child folders) and make some other adjustments (not so hard) to rearrange many old bookmarks in the new and lighter structure I've created, and I'd like to do it in Chrome (and be able to do it in the future), the last question is:

will these operations be understood by Bookmacster since they're completed in the browser?
Or, since it is not checked "Delete unmatched items" neither for importing nor for exporting phase, I'll get doubled folders or stuff like that?

I understood that Bookmacster algorithm is very fine and assigns hash to bookmarks, so it could do the job...

Please, let me know instructions for this last step, I could be very close to the life-definitive solution for this matter!
Thanx, Grin
Francesco

IP Logged

fqm78
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Ok Jerry,
I followed your instructions (the screencast was very simple and well done!), it seems all has gone where it should be...
Creating a new file was the simplest, fastest and most effective solution, thanks a lot!!  Cheesy
Now I'm going to set up a reliable workflow to make bookmarks land from chrome or safari and synchronize.
I'll let you know if get problems.
Thank you,
bye,
Francesco

IP Logged

fqm78
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Thank you for the tips Jerry,

I have one Bookmarkshelf file with two agents active, and I want the same bookmarks on Safari and Chrome (that I use the most).
I will try to fix it, hopefully during next weekend.
I'll give you feedback.

Bye,
Francesco

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2014 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hello, Francesco.

BookMacster should sync the Favorites Bar in Safari to the Bookmarks Bar in Chrome, and in BookMacster itself, with no special special setup.  Mapping as you want is the default mapping in a new Bookmarkshelf document.

Regarding the BookmarksBar folders that you see in Chrome, with no space between Bookmarks and Bar, I would advise that neither of these are the real Bookmarks Bar in Chrome.  They are phony.  They are just ordinary folders which were probably created by some application, importer or exporter that did not know how to handle the Bookmarks Bar.  To reduce confusion, I recommend that you move all items in those folders into different folders, into the real Bookmarks Bar if that is where you want them, and then delete the empty BookmarksBar folders.  You can do this either in Chrome or in BookMacster.

I don't know where your bookmarks are right now.  If your bookmarks are all in Safari and Chrome, you may wish to trash whatever Bookmarkshelf document file(s) you have in Safari by activating it and clicking in the menu: File > Close and Delete.  This will get rid of any non-default mapping settings.  Then please watch this short screencast I've just created, which shows how creating a new document will automatically merge together the Chrome and Safari bars without tweaking any settings.  Near the middle of the screencast, when I click Sort All is where you might want to move items out of the phony BookmarksBar folders and delete them.

Let us know if you have any more questions on how to get from wherever you are.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

fqm78
Chrome, Safari and right settings for Bookmacster
Mar 4th, 2014 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Hi,
I was very happy to buy Bookmacster license, I wanted to keep in order the mess of bookmarks I had spread between several browsers on my Mac, on PC at work and on iPad and iPhone.

Finally, I have two central hubs where my bookmarks land:
Chrome on Mac
Safari on Mac

these two synchronize via Google Bookmarks and iCloud with all the rest.

But I experience some problems:
I would like the same Bookmarks Bar on Chrome and Safari. I know that the two browsers have a different structure, but Safari's Bookmarks Bar gets empty, and in Chrome appears a folder (or two) called BookmarksBar in Other Bookmarks.

I use Other Bookmarks in Chrome as landing folder, in Safari it is root.

Please help me, I made all this work during months, collapsing all the bookmarks, I know every line written on Help and need finally to order them all, for my job.
I know Bookmacster can work well, and I don't want to dismiss it.

Thanks,
Francesco

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint